Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't done this in a while, but trying to get back on the wagon.
Last week-
Monday-Masters swim practice 3400m
Tuesday- Track workout with run group 3 miles (300m repeats)
Weds- Masters swim 3,350m
Thurs- Picked up race packet (step count put me at over 5miles for the day) & checked out expo, spent way to much on race merchandise.
Fri- off
Sat- Star Wars 10k plus back to expo after race to buy more stuff with my mom and sister
Sun- Star Wars Half Marathon plus time at Disneyland after race with my sister to take some in park pictures with my medals.

On the work front- I started a long term assignment subbing for a math teacher, so last week was my first full week in that class, will be there until the beginning of March, the longest I've been in one classroom since I was teaching full time.

This week-
Monday- Massage & Chiropractor
Tuesday- track run
Weds- Swim
Thurs- Run
Fri-Off
Sat- run/bike ?? working a swim meet
Sun- run?? working a swim meet.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Last edited by: SDCali: Jan 18, 16 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win
bike x 1: eeh, sort of win? I did a couple of very short, easy spins.
run x 5: win with 6
core/strength x 4: win

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

I really need to do something that could be considered bike training.

Quote | Reply
You need Zwift (if you are like me & aren't a fan of riding outside in the cold/snow).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I started a long term assignment subbing for a math teacher,/
Quote:

NICE!!! What grade? What classes?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
This week - run 2 workouts DONE w 3 and 3-4 easy runs umm I ran easy a couple times, and took a day off from running, bike 3x did once, while doing errands, swim 4x swam 5 times!

I am pleased with my week; I did a good job keeping easy runs easy and fast runs fast.
s: 5x = 12,250 yds
b: 1x = 6 mi
r: 6 x = 54.5 mi

Goals for this week:
swim 5x (one done)
most likely racing this weekend (I have a hard time committing to races :P ), sooo, get legs ready to race
bike 2x

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I started a long term assignment subbing for a math teacher,/
Quote:

NICE!!! What grade? What classes?
It's 8th grade math, so 2 classes of Math 8, one class of Strategic Math 8 (a support class, smaller size), one AVID class & one Leadership class. All my experience full time experience has been at the high school level, middle school is a different beast entirely. The students don't have a textbook, all homework is either printed worksheets (mostly teacher generated) or online.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two weeks of training were disrupted while I went to PA to help one sister who fell off the bike trainer (detached retina, two surgeries so far) and then went to HI to see the other sister's new house (end of a very long and difficult few years for her and me). My plans for masters swim, John Flanagan, and Oahu open water swim all fell through for various reasons, but I got to swim with both "masters" and open water groups on Kauai, and I climbed those crazy Koko Crater railway stairs on Oahu even though the lugs on my Newtons were all falling off! Now I have sore quads, a bunch of new bikinis, new runners arriving tomorrow (thank you to Newton for the discount), and school starting Wednesday (no stats this term, sorry TC). I am going to pump my bike tires, figure out my syllabus, deal with jet lag, and go to the grocery as next orders of business, then back to regularly scheduled s/b/r etc. Here's hoping that this is the start of something new and exciting for me from this point forward!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in the pool 3x last week and with 1,000 yds of kicking with fins, my knee felt fine.

On Friday, I tried to get out of the pool without using the ladder. Still can't do it but it's getting there. But I think I gave Coach Ashley near heart failure trying.

Continued PT, adding some new/harder exercises.

And best of all, last night I met some folks for dinner and my friend Neil said that as I walked in, he thought that I was walking nearly perfect - no limp like I had been walking.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of last week's plans got sidetracked as I fell while riding to work on Friday morning - a little too icy in one stretch and I went down on a 90deg L turn. Insult to injury added: lady walking her dog walks right past me as I fall. Says nothing. I get up, brush off, say "I'm OK, thanks for asking" and she gives me this a$$hole-why-should-I-care look. Not too badly banged up, mostly left elbow - again. Sigh.

Last week's plans:
- skate 5x (with skipping as off-ice warm-up) - small d done - I only skated 4x with a knee pad on my elbow, but felt sore ribs on the L side about 40min thru the skate.
- run 3x - small d done - only 2 runs
- ride 1-2x - small d done - 1.5 rides done
- drills/core 2x - small d done - only 1 done

Here's a couple of pics of K from the last meet - look at her steely gaze... such determination :-)

This week:
- take care of elbow
- skate 5x including a meet on Sat morning - 2nd to last of the season so hoping it's a good one.
- run 2x
- ride....???
- drills/core 2x

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm super jealous, it sounds like fun!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was OK. I only got on the bike twice and in the pool once. I had to leave work a few hours early one day because I felt like garbage but after a long nap and laying around all evening I was fine by the next day. I had to skip training Friday because my cousin was in town, and will be for the next two weekends, doing a clinical rotation for nursing school at the hospital literally down the street from us. But it's been fun hanging out with her as an adult; I used to babysit her and it's nice to see that she's become a responsible young woman. It's worth skipping an occasional workout. =)

Running is coming along. I ran twice this week (slowly), once for 2 miles and once for 2.5. I seem to do OK until mile 1.7 and then I get the IT band twinges in my left knee. I haven't been as devoted to my glute-strengthening exercises lately so I hope it's just a side effect of that. I also lifted weights twice last week -- and I just went through my log and that was the first time I've lifted weights twice in a week since FEBRUARY (when I was unemployed). Wow! I am trying not to get depressed about not running and think of the lifting and pre-hab as more of a gateway to me running again instead of a drudgery.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried this but it was linked on another site -
http://dailyvitamoves.com/release-your-tight-it-band-quickly/#.VpXya5MrLUo

Are you a heelstriker?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried that particular move, so I'll give it a whirl! Can't hurt. Thanks for sharing!

I am a heelstriker but I have gotten MUCH better about landing mid-foot and underneath my body as I've gotten more serious about running in the last few years.

The baffling thing is that it was my right IT band causing me problems about 6-8 weeks before my marathon in October. Since then the right leg has been fine and now it's the left IT band. That's why I tend to believe its a core imbalance/glute weakness issue ... but in the meantime I'll keep strengthening and stretching.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
You need Zwift (if you are like me & aren't a fan of riding outside in the cold/snow).

I don't mind a bit of cold & snow, but it's been a little ridiculous lately.

As for Zwift, I don't have the farkle I'd need to use it. No power meter and no desire for one - hell I don't even own a GPS watch or anything.

I think the #1 thing I can do to get myself working on the bike again is put a fan down in front of the trainer again. We move it up to our bedroom in summer, but my trainer sits right in front of our radiant gas furnace. My cycle computer said it was 31c/88f when I rode last night, which was delightful for a few minutes after running in windchill of -19c/-2f, but sub-optimal for convincing my legs to put out any power after my warmup.

Quote | Reply
No powermeter needed. Just a supported trainer & speed/cadence sensor.

Just throwing it out there as an option, it's been really good for me this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might also check out The Sufferfest videos. Great workouts and real race coverage. You can do a $10/mo online subscription now.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch! Glad it wasn't anything more serious. I have a gnarly scar on my left elbow from wiping out on the bike - I like to think it's because I've learnt to fall in a way not to damage my drivetrain ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 18 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
You might also check out The Sufferfest videos. Great workouts and real race coverage. You can do a $10/mo online subscription now.

I've had Sufferfest vids for years now, but since my trainer is in the back of our livingroom I tend not to use them as husband will be watching tv while I ride and headphones just make it feel even hotter back there.

Looking at Zwift's site they say you need some kind of ANT+ device for speed - I use a wired (rear wheel pickup, but still wired) cycle computer, so nothing to output to a wireless device.

I'm usually decent about doing some structured workouts, and I actually did one on Monday evening, but I really do need to get a fan down there and just suck it up. I know I've been making excuses about sore legs as I'm finally back to running over 50km/week for the first time since an injury in October and conditions are pretty brutal outside with all the ice and snow, so I really just need to quit whining and bust out some intervals. I always feel better after I do, even if I end up disliking stairs.