Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Injured with marathon three weeks away; I need to vent to people who "get it" =) [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool! The power of just showing up (and months of training prior!)
Quote Reply
Re: Injured with marathon three weeks away; I need to vent to people who "get it" =) [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear you did it! That's fab. Well done.

One of the odd things with IT band pain is (well IME) that it doesn't happen every time you run. You were lucky :)

Maybe some hip adductor/glute strength training this winter? Don't want to nag, just want to let you know that in my case the IT band pain preceded a much more serious and debilitating SI joint condition, which took me a year to get over and caused massive pain. I've had kids and I"m quite mobile, so before I worked on my core my pelvis was all over the place when I was running. In my case the IT band pain was a warning.
Quote Reply
Re: Injured with marathon three weeks away; I need to vent to people who "get it" =) [alexxm21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not nagging at all! I know I was lucky and I know I need to work more on my core... This was just the hard evidence. I did a few weeks of focus on hips and glutes before the race and I don't know I would have finished without it. I have to make this a regular thing, no exceptions or excuses.

Funny how you also had IT band and SI joint problems. My SI joint thankfully (knock wood) hasn't caused any pain or trouble since I got more serious about stretching. Sadly, I had lots of extra time since I wasn't running.

I haven't done anything this past week and now the IT band on my OTHER leg is hurting. Could be coincidence, could be regular post-race inflammation... But I'm thinking it's because I've back burnered hips/glutes/core again.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad to see you did it! :-)

I was on my last big run before an ultra a few weeks back and started feeling uncommonly sore in the knees a few km before the end. Of course I kept going and got the mileage done that I was planning to do. Iced my knee when I got home and thought no more about it although it continued to niggle. Two days later - BAM! Knee fully inflates and I'm hobbling off to the physio. A week later and it's still really angry, so off for an MRI.

Turns out I subluxed my knee cap and bashed the shit out of my femur somewhere along the line, possibly creating a couple of loose chunks in the process. How I failed to notice that I'm not too sure but there you go - possibly about as much trauma as I could inflict without actually breaking, tearing or snapping anything :-)

It's improving slowly, but obviously the ultra was out the window, Ballarat 70.3 in a few weeks time is off the dance card and I'm learning the joys of water running. Jury is still out on whether any intervention will be required.

Moral of this story re-inforces that already stated: DO NOT IGNORE SPECIFIC STRENGTH & STRETCHING!! Particularly when you've got the D grade model knee design like mine. My ITB was giving me a few warning twinges which I happily ignored and I wasn't doing anywhere near enough work on the muscles I needed to. On the bright side I can still swim & cycle and the time I'm not allowed to go near running will be a good time to build a better maintenance habit.

Hopefully it will end up being a warning shot and not a serious broadside, but regardless - I've been warned!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mind sharing your hip/glute routine?
Quote Reply
Re: Injured with marathon three weeks away; I need to vent to people who "get it" =) [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh noooooooo sorry to hear about your injury! Wishing you a fast and full healing.

I also should have known better -- I have really flat feet that have caused problems up my legs since high school -- but this was definitely a lesson learned in preventative strength and stretching.

Quote Reply
Re: Injured with marathon three weeks away; I need to vent to people who "get it" =) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The jury's still out on if it's doing any good, but sure!

I do the three hip exercises at the top here.

Then, kind of embarrassingly, I do a few sets on a thighmaster and a buttmaster. (I'm pretty sure I ordered them from an as-seen-on-tv online store.) I'm sure you could jury-rig something with a resistance band.

Then clam shells with a resistance band.

Then some good ol' squats.

Then one-legged bridges.

Then fire hydrants.

Then sumo and monster walks (some good eye candy, haha).

It does take a bit of time which is why I've been slacking again, so I'll do it while watching TV or do hips one day and the others the next, etc.

Last edited by: Midtown Miles: Oct 30, 15 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this! I am cobbling together a little routine to do before/after my runs and that was very helpful :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. Recovery is so much more needed than anything else. I've been hurt plenty of times so I know the frustration of not reaching your goal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next