Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looking for a female coach for an older triathlete [Herding Cats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my .02, but the flip side of having a coach that listens and understands what you are going through is trusting them enough to listen to what they are telling you. It sounds like you might be ready for that, but my impression of the post is "I need someone who will do xyz for me". Working with high level athletes daily, I find the biggest issue is them saying: "I really want to hear what you have to say" - and then not liking what the solution is. On ST volume appears to be king, but one thing you mentioned was that you didn't think you were running too much based on previous marathon volume - what is not considered is the additional stress of biking, recovery, work, etc that triathlon adds.

It sounds like from your post - you fit the classic female athlete triad. You absolutely need to work with someone in diet; you may need to have a professional running analysis (I would recommend by a highly trained physical therapist); you may want to look into a professional bike fit (again potentially by a Physical therapist who understands your injury past); And you may want to have a strength routine designed by a physical therapist rather than a personal trainer.

Not trying to be harsh, but realistic. There were likely signs that were missed. having a team around you that can point those out is important.

Good luck in 2016.

Re: Looking for a female coach for an older triathlete [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
- you fit the classic female athlete triad.
???
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for a female coach for an older triathlete [gotbitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate using Wiki links, but I am short on time...https://en.wikipedia.org/...Female_athlete_triad

Basically:

1) less than idea eating for the amount of exercise (up to and including a true eating disorder, but can be just not taking in enough of the right energy)
2) No periods (amenorrhoea)
3) decreased bone density (likely leading to stress fractures)

Now that the OP deleted her posting I can not verify that she did not have periods, but I would be concerned. I have been here, I treat people here, I am advocating that we all have people we trust (paid or not) around us that can help us spot the signs of overtraining, under eating, etc. Trust is important, because for many of us, when we are in the heat of chasing a goal down, it is difficult to be objective and it is difficult to be told to stop or modify.

Re: Looking for a female coach for an older triathlete [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridana wrote:
I hate using Wiki links, but I am short on time...https://en.wikipedia.org/...Female_athlete_triad

Basically:

1) less than idea eating for the amount of exercise (up to and including a true eating disorder, but can be just not taking in enough of the right energy)
2) No periods (amenorrhoea)
3) decreased bone density (likely leading to stress fractures)

Now that the OP deleted her posting I can not verify that she did not have periods, but I would be concerned. I have been here, I treat people here, I am advocating that we all have people we trust (paid or not) around us that can help us spot the signs of overtraining, under eating, etc. Trust is important, because for many of us, when we are in the heat of chasing a goal down, it is difficult to be objective and it is difficult to be told to stop or modify.

ahh, ok. without the context, I read your post with a different vibe. makes totally sense. and you are correct
Quote Reply

Prev Next