Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? March 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone had a good Pi Day ;-) how are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goals this week = swim 6x did four , bike 3x did four!!!!, keep running under 50 miles nope, day off from running yes, took Saturday off from everything. And get a lot of schoolwork done yup.

I swam four times for a total of 4700 yes, biked 4 times for a total of 24 miles (commuting), and ran 6 times for a total of 61.2 miles. That was not a good idea (nothing hurts, but I need to back off the mileage before something does hurt).

Had a productive week at school especially in terms of starting to write my dissertation prospectus, so that felt really good.

Two finals tomorrow and then I fly home tomorrow night! Goals for this week: bike 4 times, get some swim yards in tomorrow morning, keep running mileage LOWER (like 40...). Am hoping I can snowshoe when I get home :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good, missed one workout last week due to an epic, bad experience on Saturday night. I actually did butterfly of my own volition, during my cool down, for fun. I don't even know who I am anymore :P

This week -
Brick * 2 including my first go at Sufferfest Chrysalis
Bike * 2
Swim * 2
Run * 1
Yoga * 1
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Pretty good, missed one workout last week due to an epic, bad experience on Saturday night.

Hope everything's ok now?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No permanent or physical damage (knock on wood). I accidentally ingested a lot of a substance I would not normally ingest, with profoundly bad consequences.
Fortunately I have a rest day on the training calendar today and I should be fine to get back on the bike tomorrow. Thanks for asking!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I failed at almost everything.

Walks to work x 9 (goal was 8)
Swim - I only swam once
I didn't get on my bike at all
PT x 5

This week I am taking some MUCH needed days off later in the week. So, I plan to swim at least every other day to try and figure out how to swim again. I'll alternate that with bike depending on what the doctor tells me tomorrow.

I hope this is healed. I miss cute shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I miss cute shoes.

LOL. Fingers totally crossed for you with the appt tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Glad you're getting some time off from work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
- run x 6: win
- swim x 3: win with 4
- bike x 2: win with 4
- core/strength x 4: win

Haz le tired. Apparently I put in over 15hrs of training last week. Was just nice to be able to do 2 of the 4 bike rides outdoors, though it turns out that 20k of hills at 3c on a foggy morning + 20k run + swim kicks my ass WAY MORE than just a 25k run + swim. Bike fitness is not really a thing I have right now.

This week's goals:
- run x 6
- swim x 3
- bike x 2
- core/strength x 4

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Good.
I am still not getting on the bike very much. My bike "race" on the 28th will be kind of sucky. Oh well.
The real goal - marathon April 26 - is coming along quite well. Got in one swim and one easy bike the day after my 20 miler. Got in one strength session.

I did a pi run on Saturday. Since it was also the day of a scheduled 20 miler, I ran TO the park where the run was taking place with a friend. Then did the run as the last 3mi of my 20 miler. I had a break of about 40 mins between miles 17 & 18, therefore. I had a couple of fun gals I knew doing pacing for the race (yes, a 3.14 mi race with pace groups), and after the start it seemed like I was going about their speed, so I caught up to them and chatted and helped them pace a bit. I even gave a bit of a kick at the end. Much to my surprise, I took an age group prize (no, didn't win, but placed), and won an engraved pie tin.
There was pie after the race - each racer could get a slice of pie if they so desired... and the medals were VERY cool, and I'm not usually a medal person. I'm quite glad I let my friend who is new to running talk me into this race. The t-shirts were nice too. I was pleased with my 20miler pace. Definitely on target for my hoped for goal.

But the REAL good news is that I think my iron levels have come up. This week, boom. All of a sudden, I am waking up peppy and refreshed again! Finally! It's been since last November or so that I've felt like I've been dragging butt and can't get out of bed every morning. I think I know what the deal is now. Maybe about a month back, since I hadn't been seeing improvement, I switched iron supplements again - this time to the icky harsh ones you get at the drug store - ferrous sulfate. I started taking one pill MWF. That's about as frequently as I can do without winding up constipated. I've also been taking for 2mo another supplement called 'heme-a-plex' which has other vitamins and such in it to support blood health (like vit. b for example) - that one taken daily.
KEEP IN MIND THIS IS ALL UNDER THE DIRECTION OF MY DOCTOR. DON'T TAKE IRON SUPPLEMENTS WITHOUT BEING MONITORED. Iron can build up in your system and overdoses are very harmful to fatal.
I met with my doctor last week and he is aware of my dosage and agrees with it. He also said we will test me on regular intervals. So my next blood draw will be in the end of may early june time frame - for the purpose of ensuring my levels aren't dropping.

3 years ago I was severely anemic. And it took about a month of hard core supplementation (I was on 3x per day) to where all of a sudden I felt so much better.

On the job front, after thinking about it for a week, I am going to talk to my boss about the 4 day work week - he was open to it when we discussed it but no decision was made at the time. I talked with the hubs and I think I'd like to trial it. It would be on a trial basis.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great news re: iron/energy levels... and the Pi run - mmmm :-). The 4 day week thing can be a real life saver - I've been lucky enough to do it at least once in every job I've had (except the current one bah! part of why I want to escape...)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was no pi for me but I'm sure I'll claim it somewhere down the line :-)

Last week wasn't bad even though I didn't meet any of my goals. I had the big bootcamp style day with our swim coach (also a triathlon coach) on Saturday and that was exhausting and left me really really sore from all the push-ups (but the swimming part went really well). It was nice to meet some other people but to be honest, while I needed the motivation and boost from group training (and suffering) when I first started working out, I prefer training alone (or just with the other half) now. She got us all to try doing this, just for a bit of fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2EGLIyDkXE Tried out the Skratch exercise hydration powder and that worked well for me so I bought a big bag of it yesterday.* Other than that, 1 swim, 2 runs and a bike. I also signed up for an introductory ride with a Masters cycling group (not until April) so I'll have another opportunity to try being social when I work out.

Goals for this week: swim x 3, bike x 4, run x 6 (one bike done). I got the fire on-call schedule for the summer. Now that I'm not a rookie any more, my on-call weekends have gone up from 1 to 4 and two of them clash with weekends where I am racing - sigh. I am going to have to juggle how I do my workouts so that I do my long runs/bikes during the week as I have to be within response distance of the hall between 5pm Friday - 8am Monday.

* Read a blog post yesterday that mentioned OSMO hydration for women - it had never even occurred to me that something constituted differently might be appropriate. Any experiences with it?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Master's group?? My cycling club was out riding on Saturday, but I had family in town. Hopefully I'll get out soon, although I was barely on the bike this winter, so it's sure to be humbling...

My sister signed up for a night 10km the end of April. It's on the Mountain Bike trails in Ft Sask - and they are hard enough on a bike. Still thinking about signing up. Partly to scare myself into training & partly because I'm a wee bit competitive & I'm afraid she's going to get faster than me....
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 16 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edmonton Masters - http://www.edmontonmasterscyclingclub.ca/about.html I'm not sure whether I want to join (other half has) as I will definitely need to be on the "no-drop" rides!

Night race sounds fun :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Am hoping I can snowshoe when I get home :-)

I XC-skied in my back yard last week and we got snow south of Portland last night and this morning, so there's still hope! Safe travels home :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have fun - I know a few people that ride/rode with them. I like group rides, but I never run with other people - mostly because I'm slow and it's embarrassing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I miss cute shoes.

LOL. Fingers totally crossed for you with the appt tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Glad you're getting some time off from work.

THE BONE IS HEALED.

I can swim and bike (outdoors!) Running in approximately 4 weeks.

YAY, shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAHOOO!!!!!!! I am so very excited for you :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great news!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know you have to go buy new shoes to celebrate, right? (And then show us pictures of said shoes.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair of brown booties with a bit of heel, since heaven forbid I trip in actual heels and kill a THIRD season. :-0
Quote Reply