Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING
Quote | Reply
Dear Triathlon Community,

My name is Hailey Nievergelt and I am the daughter of former professional triathlete, Juli Nievergelt. Growing up surrounded by the sport of triathlon, I have become extremely passionate about the sport and all things tri. Craig Alexander and his family are close friends of my family, and I have had the pleasure of nannying their kids during their summers in Boulder.
I took my passion for triathlon and brought it to The College of Charleston, were I am now a member of the Division 1 Swimming and Diving Team. Recently, 2 former College of Charleston graduates participated in Ironman Boulder, and had some of the fastest age group male swim splits. I myself plan to follow my mothers footsteps in the sport of triathlon. Yesterday my team bombarded with terrible news, in a meeting with Athletic Director Joe Hull the College of Charleston we as a varsity swim & dive team were informed that the program was being considered for a cut from the school’s athletics offerings. The team was told that we would be able to finish the season, but that there would be no 2015-2016 season. It is devastating to see a group of individuals that I call my family abandoned. Freshman, Sophomores & Juniors who have become part of our family are now having to reconsider their future college careers.

The team was given some hope at saving the program. The crux of the cutting of the program is due to repairs and renovations needed for the Theodore Stern Student Activities Center, which was built in 1974 and underwent a $2 million renovation that was completed in October 2000. The Athletics Director said that if $1.5 million could be raised to contribute to the costs of keeping an aging pool running, then the possibility of saving the program could be discussed.
http://www.postandcourier.com/.../PC20/141109553/1177
http://swimswam.com/...save-cofc-swim-dive/
This program is near and dear to my heart. My unbelievable college experience is due to this team and this program. I cannot imagine my life without the unbelievable support system that is my team and truly my family. The College of Charleston is a motivated and determined group of individuals that will not let this program fail. We are trying to spread the word and raise awareness as such as possible in efforts to raise money. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Provided is a link where you are able to sign a petition to attempt to keep this family together!
http://www.change.org/...ource=share_petition
Thank you,
Hailey Nievergelt
Quote Reply
Re: SAVE COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON SWIMMING & DIVING [NIEVERGELTHB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed it. Good luck in saving the pool, your program. A quality pool is a true asset to the community. Maybe the administration doesn't realize this. There are so many ways that a community pool can benefit the entire community
Quote Reply