Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville
Quote | Reply
Please ignore my grammar mistakes. I wrote this up fairly early after the race to remember some of the details.

Pre race was fine. Left hotel early. Checked bike tires. Put nutrition in
bike. Should have checked run and bike bags. Heavy rains night before and
everything was soaked. Oh well. Walked up to get in line. Partnered w two
guys there to take turns going to bathroom. (It's a time trial start race) I was in the first third or so of line.
The line moved quickly in to water. I knew current was very strong, so tried to stay
nearer shore less people there as well. (The first third of race is against the current, and then last 2/3 was thankfully w/ the current)
I totally did not start my watch. Getting into the water that quickly, running down the dock and then jumping in, trying to avoid other swimmers and avoid people jumping on me I just forgot to start my watch. Either of them. I was wearing a garmin for
distance on bike. I didn't have it set to pace, because I wanted to start out
very conservatively and didn’t want to see the pace and speed up. I also had on a normal stop watch for total time. So when I got to T1 had no
idea of time. ;( Time approx. 1:09
T1. Soaking wet soaks and shoes. No prob. wring out socks and put on. Had bathroom
stop- super hydrated. Good. But found out I left my speed suit on. Damn.
Back to tent. Found volunteer to put in my bag. Went through sunscreen area.
To bike -way longer transition than planned. about 7 min
Bike was fine. Started drinking right away. I had bathroom stops at mile 30 and 70. Still hydrated good. For nutrition I had a cliff bar. Bonk breaker and another bar of 160 calories. I also started w three bottles of skratch. When they were done switched to water. I drank one bottle between all aid stations. Also had 3 electrolyte caps w each bottle after skratch was finished.
I got to hwy42 (33 miles left) and knew most hills behind me. So picked it up a bit the last hour. I felt decent coming into T2. Felt I hadn't gassed myself but was happy
w 6:12 split. Neg split. And it was a bit harder than I had remembered. So
was overall ok w my bike. (In a perfect world would have loved to go under
6).

T2 was ok. Since the ground was soaking wet and muddy decided to leave bike shoes
on instead of on my bike. Run shoes again, soaking wet. Had to use bathroom
again so feeling like my hydration plan was adequate. T2 about 5 min
When I left T2 for run, the heat was immediately a factor. Tried drinking water w some electrolyte tabs. Also had my EFS. But couldn't hold fast pace and by mile 4 stomach cramping and walking I begain walking through aide stations. One pro female (Molly) passed me as I was telling another runner I was walking through aide stations and she said she was too. Of course she was on her second lap.
Luckily by Churchill downs. I'm guessing mile 8ish, they had chicken broth out. That saved me. Helped my stomach a lot. Still cramping.l but not as bad. Had 3 bathroom stops on run, but more for stomach cramps than being hydrated. Had small sips of coke once EFS was done. Had potato chips. Pouring ice down shirt, using sponges. Etc etc etc. It helped a lot but was very hot and ready for each aide station when they
came. Sadly, I had no idea what pace I was going or my overall time. Not
sure I could have gone faster, but maybe. Would have helped w motivation if
I knew I was close to 12 hours. I thought I was already way over.

About 3 miles left on second loop some women, not doing IM, came out on the course to tell the a woman running ahead of me that she was close to being in the top 5 for her AG and to pick it up. Her calf said she was 45-49, so I knew that if she was close, I had to be also. So I did try to run a little faster the last few miles. Run time 4:32 - given heat and the walking through all water stops it was ok. On another day should have been sub 4.

Total time 12:07 - 6th AG

All in all, I'm happy w race. Wish I would have broken 12 but considering the heat which lead to
the disappointing performance on the run I'm pleased. Maybe if I had known I was close I could have broken 12, but I also might have blown up and ended up walking more. Unknown.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice RR. congrats! It was a hot one out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Were you out there too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't race this year. Volunteered at the swim start and hung out at mile 24 or so of the run for awhile. I think it was definitely the hottest IMLou. Even drinking beer at the finish line was tough. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. First of all, THANKS for volunteering! and second, you're so much smarter than me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the report. Good to know how much other women take in during the bike. Men seem to eat more.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville [pondering] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I can't eat very much, but don't burn that many calories. I only burn 400-500 calories per hour on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting a report! The heat sounds brutal...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome report and awesome race!

12:07 would be a dream for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey TC - here's a race report from IM Louisville [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. :)
Quote Reply