Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool swim tri?!?!!?
Quote | Reply
So YAY! I'm signed up for 2 sprint tris in Utah. My first is in a month and, oddly enough, is a pool swim. 300M (hah!) s-laps through a pool, 2 women at a time.

Have any of you done a swim like this? Any tips? Especially on turning (I gather sighting won't be an issue).

Any recommendations on outfit? It's 300M swim, 12.75mi bike, 2.9mi run. I don't own a one-piece tri suit, so I was thinking sports bra and tri shorts to keep it simple. Or sports bra+tri top. Or swim suit (I'm still in love with these suits y'all recommended) and then pull on bike shorts in T1? Or HTFU and do the whole thing in a swim suit - but then I will have thigh chafing.

Ty for all your help - always.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swim tri?!?!!? [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people do open turns, some do flip turns. Whatever you're more comfortable with will be fine. If you are passing or being passed, the general rule is do it at the wall.
Most races have you swim on the right. You'll have to go under the ropes each lap. Not hard but you might want to practice.
Keep in mind when it comes to your outfit that pools are usually heated.
Have fun!

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try out a few outfits then wear what is most comfortable to you. If you are not with a big chest, it may be better and easier to go with the swimsuit and skip the bra since it most probably will not be completely dry before the run.

Quote | Reply
Quote:
Try out a few outfits then wear what is most comfortable to you.

This. I would skip the swimsuit only idea, unless you have chicken legs/no thighs. Whatever you chose, you'll want to make sure that it is very tight fitting.

In our area the first tri of the season is a pool swim. I've done it a couple of times, and would say because of the seeded start a pool swim is actually more unpredictable than an ows. Either people deliberately put in faster times than they can swim, or simply are ignorant of their times. Either way, chances are big you may end up with folks in front of you that are much slower than you, and behind you that are faster. Be prepared to tug on someone's ankle if they are blocking you (to let them know you want to pass at the wall) or be tugged (and move aside at the wall).

My other tips: Have some warm "throwaway" clothes you can wear standing in line waiting for your pool start. If you can, try out the pool the day before the race to figure out what the walls feel like when you turn, practice getting out at the end, pushing off and going under the lane ropes, etc. If you get blocked during the race, don't spend energy worrying about it. Draft and know you'll have extra energy to blow away the bike!

For some reason for me, I tend to go too fast at the start of a pool swim in a way that usually doesn't happen in ows, so my strategy is to concentrate on a smooth, controlled start, and only picking up the pace when I start the second length, figuring adrenaline will push me faster than expected on the first.

Good luck and have fun!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Apr 18, 14 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swim tri?!?!!? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, all, for the advice and perspectives! I am a bit on the bustier side (full C) so I'm not sure about the one piece swim suit. That said, I just ordered a 2-piece TYR poly suit and am thinking I can test out that top to see if it's supportive enough to run 2.9 mi in.

Very sage about testing the outfits - the pool at my gym is usually empty (hallelujah!) so I won't look like a freak swimming in a sports bra/tri shorts to test that one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a few pool swim tris. I don't do flip turns mostly to avoid crashing into other swimmers who may or may not be watching out for me. This sounds like there will be a lot of newbies, so the potential for a crash could be high. If you have a lane to yourself, this isn't a worry. Do what you are more comfortable with.

I wore tri shorts and tri top/ tri bra. A regular sports bra will let too much water in and slow you down, so it is better to have a tri bra or tri top. (Some are also too sheer when wet.) You can have your number on a belt, or have it pinned to a shirt that you slip on before you start biking. I wouldn't be comfortable running in just my bathing suit, but you will see women who do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once I forgot my swimsuit and swam in my sport bra and bike shorts (no chammy). It was awful. The sport bra ballooned out and acted like a parachute. I'm telling you this because I didn't know that would happen--it is quite a snug bra. So I am suggesting that you get a special tri top or supportive swim top, or test out your sport bra in a pool first.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swim tri?!?!!? [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yikes! That would be so frustrating. My new Nike two-piece swim suit just arrived and the top is VERY tight, so I'm going to test it out fro swimming and running, as well as with a tri top over it. I just got back from a work travel week, so I have some make-up workouts to do!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only annoying part about pool swims like that is if you have to pass someone. So, hopefully, they're seeding it by expected time?

I've found that when I'm not wearing something designed to be swum in (ie. a bra and shorts) it creates crazy drag and is super annoying for a race. I'd wear the swimsuit.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: Pool swim tri?!?!!? [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're sending us out two at a time - it's just 300m - and we're supposed to seed ourselves. I should be safe at the back end, but I'm grateful that the day before the race I will get to view the course setup.

That said, I will be off a plane a few hours earlier... oh my...

Quote Reply