Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear SOAS tri shorts to do my long runs. I find them really comfy. Like the other girls I lather on the anti-chafe cream....bum, under arms, anywhere there is a seam. I know that awful sting when you jump in the shower after your run and everything stings!!!Good luck in your marathon. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this, but it may be all for naught. I'm being sidelined due to injury. I mean, has anyone trained for a marathon and not been injured?!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried running shorts? I'm definitely overweight but have never had chafing in running shorts (Nike Tempo and 2 kinds of Brooks). no undies.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I found my marathon shorts. Going to wear my Orca tri shorts, since it worked well in the half marathon I ran this past weekend. I also smeared some chamois cream down there just in case!

Thanks for the advice. I am not sure what running shorts are, but if you mean those silky feel nylon shorts with no undies in there? Or built in undies? I have had thigh chafing with those in the past. Maybe I just have sensitive skin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also... I am finding even my shirt is a problem. When I ran 26K, I had three raw spots from chafing. One from wearing a V neck shirt, the tip of the V rubbing my skin off. Another is a mystery... no label, nothing indicating a problem, so maybe a rough seam? Another from the label in my capris.

The next time I wore a shirt with the seams on the outside. That was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a follow-up post.

I finished the marathon on Sunday, and I had no chafing at all, despite the rainy cloudy conditions!

Wore my Orca tri shorts (good for swimming in the rain, how apt!), and a long sleeve Lululemon running shirt which has its seams on the outside. It's the ugliest running shirt ever, but good for this purpose.

I used Body Glide over anywhere the bra touched my skin, along the leg hole lines of my shorts, along the waistband of my shorts, my inner thighs.

I used copious amounts of Lanacaine Anti-Chafing Gel between my toes and on the heel of my foot and the area where the back of the shoe touches my foot.

I lubed up my girly parts with chamois cream Beljum Budder.

I carried extra Lanacaine Anti-Chafing Gel in a contact lens case, but didn't use it. I also brought along Tegaderm to put on any hot spots. Didn't use it.

My brother used nothing at all except bandaids on his nipples, and had no chafing. Ha!
Last edited by: karencoutts: May 8, 14 9:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
Just a follow-up post.

I finished the marathon on Sunday, and I had no chafing at all, despite the rainy cloudy conditions!

Wore my Orca tri shorts (good for swimming in the rain, how apt!), and a long sleeve Lululemon running shirt which has its seams on the outside. It's the ugliest running shirt ever, but good for this purpose.

I used Body Glide over anywhere the bra touched my skin, along the leg hole lines of my shorts, along the waistband of my shorts, my inner thighs.

I used copious amounts of Lanacaine Anti-Chafing Gel between my toes and on the heel of my foot and the area where the back of the shoe touches my foot.

I lubed up my girly parts with chamois cream Beljum Budder.

I carried extra Lanacaine Anti-Chafing Gel in a contact lens case, but didn't use it. I also brought along Tegaderm to put on any hot spots. Didn't use it.

My brother used nothing at all except bandaids on his nipples, and had no chafing. Ha!

Yeah, but how was your time??? :-)

That's great news though Karen - nothing more miserable than chafing in all the wrong spots to take the fun out of a great run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have got your situation dialed in with the Tri shorts and anti-chafing cream. If you're open to a few other tips, here are mine.

Wear your run bra inside out.

Don't do a long run in clothing that has not already been washed. (The decorative edging on my shorts hem was like a whipsaw on my leg by the end of my last marathon.)

Use anti-chafing cream anyplace your clothing or skin rubs, so we're talking the bra top, that place where the front of your upper arm rubs the singlet, waistband, butt-crack, between your knees if your knees touch whole running, even on your feet under your socks.

The best anti-chafing product I've tried is one I learned about from an ultra runner. It's also the least expensive, and I use it before any run over about 7 miles, and for every long bike ride. It also works really well under the neckband and ankles of a wetsuit without damaging the neoprene. It's Avon Silicone Glove Hand Creme. Super-cheap and it comes in big and little tubes.

Finally, if you get friction damage on your feet, you might try Injinji toe socks.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great tips, thanks!

As for my result, I did well. I executed my plan and finished strong. No chafing really helped in this regard!

Thanks to all for the tips!
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was pleased I had no chafing and no injuries. Thanks for the helpful advice!

I was pleased with my time, although I was secretly hoping to break 4 hours... but no way was that possible given my race plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone mentioned wearing your bra inside out. I wear workout apparel inside out. Pants, shirts, etc. thus the seams are on the outside. I do this with most garments I wear for a workout and it seems to do the trick. Not a marathon runner though so don't know if it would work for long distance runs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next