Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strength training: do you really need a gym membership?
Quote | Reply
Hello Womens!

I posted this in the main forum, but want to poll this audience because I'm an equal opportunity poster! :)

Does a person training for triathlons really need a gym membership to get in quality strength training? I've seen multiple bodyweight exercise videos (and some using resistance bands) that make me think this is all one really needs to aid SBR.

I'm considering canceling my gym membership because most of the exercises I do there mainly involve my own bodyweight. The time it takes me to bike to the gym and back home, plus being indoors breathing that stale air, made me realize, I could just do these exercises outside of my home or at a local park (especially ones that have playground equipment).

I'd like to hear from you if you've had a membership and quit in favor of doing your own routine at home (or a park, etc.). Even if you've never had a membership, I'd like to hear from you. What kind of exercises do you do that help your SBR? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
Hello Womens!

I posted this in the main forum, but want to poll this audience because I'm an equal opportunity poster! :)

Does a person training for triathlons really need a gym membership to get in quality strength training? I've seen multiple bodyweight exercise videos (and some using resistance bands) that make me think this is all one really needs to aid SBR.

I'm considering canceling my gym membership because most of the exercises I do there mainly involve my own bodyweight. The time it takes me to bike to the gym and back home, plus being indoors breathing that stale air, made me realize, I could just do these exercises outside of my home or at a local park (especially ones that have playground equipment).

I'd like to hear from you if you've had a membership and quit in favor of doing your own routine at home (or a park, etc.). Even if you've never had a membership, I'd like to hear from you. What kind of exercises do you do that help your SBR? Thanks!
Cancel the membership of there are any questions. I have gym membership that was used once last year. For as much as I dislike going to the gym, I keep membership because it is only $55 annually. My Masters dues went from $25 to $45 monthly so I will probably go back to the nasty meat market of a gym near my house.
When not lazy, I use kettle bells and a Healthrider to improve my core strength. There are many free apps and videos that assist well. If you haven't any weights and want some, check the clearance aisles at Target. Also, Groupon and LivingSocial offer great fitness deals that may be less expensive and better for you than going to the gym.

Quote | Reply
I keep mine because it has a pool that is pretty nice and it's about a mile from my house. I don't go every day but I'm working with a trainer there now so I got in 3 - 4 times a week.

You can easily do strength training at home. I've tried the TRX at the gym and that thing is brutal! If I had the right layout at home I'd use it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never had a gym membership.

I do have a TRX at home in my basement and that's what I mainly use for strength training, along with a large exercise ball and some dumbbells.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim at my gym, but do all my weights at home. I think you can do most things w body weights and free weights. Some resistant cords if you need them, but I don't use them a lot.
I do most of my stuff at home mostly due to time savings of driving to gym.
For running - coach Jay Johnson has a lot of routines to do at home for running health that don't have any weight at all. You can just google him.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I keep mine because it has a pool that is pretty nice and it's about a mile from my house. I don't go every day but I'm working with a trainer there now so I got in 3 - 4 times a week.

You can easily do strength training at home. I've tried the TRX at the gym and that thing is brutal! If I had the right layout at home I'd use it.

Thanks, Jen. I was a member of a gym for many years that has a couple of lap pools. Over time, I began to have an issue with the chlorine and became bored with doing laps. So, I began swimming in a nearby lake and dropped this gym in favor of one that doesn't have pools.

I worked with a trainer at this other gym last month for five sessions. We worked on my weak and overdeveloped areas (like quads) and made my pedaling and running more efficient by engaging the hamstrings and glutes. He had me do several movements on the TRX that was brutal like you said. If I had the room at home, I would get this system. For now, I have a set of resistance bands and handles that I can attach to the top or side of a closed door.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:

I do have a TRX at home in my basement and that's what I mainly use for strength training, along with a large exercise ball and some dumbbells.

Thanks for the input. I tried the TRX at the gym. It was intense! If I had the room at home, I would get it. Do you take your TRX with you when traveling? I've seen videos where a person hooked the TRX to a sturdy tree limb or on a jungle gym at a park or school. If I could do this, I would buy it. For now, I use a set of Bodylastic bands (w/ 5, 7, 13 & 19 lb increments) that hook to the top or side of a closed door.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
I swim at my gym, but do all my weights at home. I think you can do most things w body weights and free weights. Some resistant cords if you need them, but I don't use them a lot.
I do most of my stuff at home mostly due to time savings of driving to gym.
For running - coach Jay Johnson has a lot of routines to do at home for running health that don't have any weight at all. You can just google him.

Thanks for the tips! Checking out Jay Johnson videos as we speak.

I had a membership at a gym that had a couple of lap pools. Over time, I developed an issue with the chlorine and quickly got bored with laps. During this time, I transitioned to swimming at a local lake, so, dropped this gym in favor of another one without pools.

I hear you about the time savings of not having to drive to a gym. That's what I'm looking at - the time savings gained by not having to bike across town to the gym, lock up the bike and detach everything from it that could be stolen, go into the gym, lock up my stuff, work out, then reassemble everything for the bike ride home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recoverie wrote:
determination wrote:

Thanks for the input. I tried the TRX at the gym. It was intense! If I had the room at home, I would get it. Do you take your TRX with you when traveling? I've seen videos where a person hooked the TRX to a sturdy tree limb or on a jungle gym at a park or school. If I could do this, I would buy it. For now, I use a set of Bodylastic bands (w/ 5, 7, 13 & 19 lb increments) that hook to the top or side of a closed door.

are you sure you do not have room? A TRX can hook to darn near anything that can support your bodyweight, including a door. I often bring mine outside but in a pinch I just throw it on the door
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a gym membership because I love my gym and love going, but no, you probably don't need one.

You can use swim paddles for an upper body workout, or do yoga.

Yes, I know yoga has a rep as 'easy', but trust me, you can pick a class (Ashtanga kicked my ass) that is surprisingly strenuous.

Or TRX, or Bootcamp, etc...

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips!

I rearranged some furniture in my apartment and got rid of some that I don't need. I now have more than enough room to do my routine with resistance bands, stability ball and bodyweight exercises. When I need more room for other workouts, or to do pullups, I got to a local park or high school track/football field. I find that I workout more than I ever did at the gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. I've got a set of PowerBlocks weights, which I love, and set up padded gym mats on the floor. As a duathlete and marathon runner, I think I'd benefit from a gym membership if I were a triathlete and needed a pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Strength training: do you really need a gym membership? [dukolbe!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pool also has a decent enough weight room/gym. I also keep a set of dumbbells in my basement along with a pull up bar and dip station. You can do alot with dumbbells and an adjustable bench
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any strength training I've done, I've done at home. I have dumb bells, a weighted ball, a pullup bar, bands, one of those exercise balls, and videos. I did P90X last year. Wasn't gung ho with it, but it did help with my mountain biking. Made hauling the bike around easier, and my core was stronger, which helped my balance. Did it at home! I'm lazy about driving around to do stuff. :)
Quote Reply