Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on ya. I'd love to read something! Favourite format? I loved writing short stories & poetry.

You know, you should be really proud of yourself, you have come a long way in the last few years.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
You know, you should be really proud of yourself, you have come a long way in the last few years.

^^ This. You're an amazing woman, Jen!

I don't really do resolutions, but in 2014 I'd like to draw more, paddle more, and spend more time having fun with the people I love. There are a couple of athletic goals (sub-90 sprint, keep up with good nutrition & body composition, go back & finish the off-road tri I broke my wrist at in 2012), but the first three seem more important.

I'd also include thinking more positively about myself, but I do very poorly at that.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
So womens, we're heading into the back end of the year - how are we all doing with these??

blackthugcat wrote:
1. Get my 1km swim time under 21 min - once & then consistently. Tick! - Very happy about this one.
2. Roller ski more. Fail - Got a few more months to get my crap together and once I got a 70.3 done in a few weeks I might bust out the skis & the mtb a bit more. At least I got to roller biathlon once which was cool.
3. Go on a date & wear a frock. Tick!! I'd kinda forgotten how much fun that was..:-)

Can tell you which two out of three I've got more chance of knocking over!! :-)

How's your year travelling?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
None, nada, zero. I feel like life has been out of my control the last couple of years. I'm tired of making plans that go sideways. Depending on where things are at in a couple of months I may revisit my stance.

I'm pleased to say I'm in a much better mental place than I was in January.

Good thing I didn't make goals, as I spent several months injured and gained too much weight. I'm healthy again, the weight has come back down & I've got to do a fair amount of riding.

The last two years haven't been the best - maybe next year I'll be back on the upswing.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine were:

"OK I'll bite:
1: drink less - this is hard for me because I love craft beers...
2: pay more attention to what I have... not thinking about what might be...

Oh and 3: kick butt at masters nationals. :-=)"

1: yes, but still enjoying my craft beer adventures
2: definitely! very happy about this :-)
3: didn't kick butt but it turned out that I had a major disadvantage by not having LT (klap) blades; still enjoyed the experience, learned A LOT and will enjoy beating my times :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm calling "foul" on this year, since the move to Utah borked life!

No more coach, but I have yet to miss a PT session - 2x/week of heavy lifting is showing!
Cancelled Vineman (husband bailed, too - it would have been VERY expensive)
... and I'm THISCLOSE to my sub-30 5k. Definite improvement there.

*sigh*

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, the first time you crack a major run "barrier" like that is HUGE - so keep at it!!! It's hard work to keep the times coming down.

That's a big move and a big change. Give yourself time to get it sorted out. After my last big "life change", it took me ~3 yrs to get back to even a whiff of where I was, athletically speaking.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non-Fitness Goals:
1. Read a book a month (on track)
2. Build up savings (Yes, but then paid cash for some house stuff, so I need to build it back)
3. Pay off credit cards (coming close)
4. Get back to being the normal "me". Lost that in the move. (still working on that)
5. Get some projects done around my house (painting, backsplash, etc.) (got a great start on this)

Fitness Goals:
1. Get back into shape. (still working on this)
2. Finish IM Chatt (dropped out a few months ago - didn't do the training)
3. Get back to regular training lifestyle. I've wallowed in the woe is me too long. (still working on that - worked hellacious hours Jan - May)
4. Do swim camp (begins Feb. 16) (HIGHLIGHT!!! I got to meet AWARE in person!)
5. Enter 1 swim meet (if the timing fits with IM training) (didn't do)
6. Lose xx pounds with corresponding decrease in % body fat (still working on this)
7. Have fun with my new bike racing team (yes)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't want to always have an excuse. Last year revolved around the wedding and that drove me to the brink of insanity - you couldn't pay me all the money in the WORLD to plan another wedding (unless unlimited funding...) then this year was a VERY unexpected move to a new state. There will always be something in life, I just need to adapt to change better, and that's not a natural gift of mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [AC Tri Girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AC Tri Girl wrote:
I just don't want to always have an excuse. Last year revolved around the wedding and that drove me to the brink of insanity - you couldn't pay me all the money in the WORLD to plan another wedding (unless unlimited funding...) then this year was a VERY unexpected move to a new state. There will always be something in life, I just need to adapt to change better, and that's not a natural gift of mine.

Here's my take on all this. Life happens. Sometimes it might feel like an excuse, and sometimes it's just life. If you follow any "active people" blogs - especially those that have signficant others/kids, they all ebb/flow through periods of more and less activity.

You've had some big (and stressful) life events. Sometimes working out is just going to take a backseat. It's very easy in hindsight to say "oh, I should have just kept doing x,y,z". In reality, you were busy & there were more important things on your plate.

It sounds like you are settling in & making some good progress fitness wise. Keep in mind that anxiety/depression/etc has some very real physical symptoms as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's hear those resolutions! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
in 2014 I'd like to draw more, paddle more, and spend more time having fun with the people I love. There are a couple of athletic goals (sub-90 sprint, keep up with good nutrition & body composition, go back & finish the off-road tri I broke my wrist at in 2012), but the first three seem more important.

I'd also include thinking more positively about myself, but I do very poorly at that.

1) Draw more: WIN. I draw something every day that I'm at the office and post it to a dedicated tumblr.

2) Paddle more: WIN and FAIL. We only got out paddling once before the 4-day tour and haven't been out since, but at least the canoe touring happened.

3) Spend more time having fun: WIN. I have rode my motorcycle more, gone to more concerts, and generally been less of a stick in the mud than the last couple of years.

4) Sub-90min sprint: FAIL. Getting hit by the car sort of put a damper on that.

5) Good nutrition & body composition: I think I'm doing at least as well as last year on less training. I think I've finally got straight the best way to fuel for my particular set of issues.

6) Go back and finish the off-road tri I broke myself at in 2012: WIN. Slowest bike split of ANYONE that day, but finished happy.

7) Think more positively about myself: FAIL. Have probably heard "you're your own worst critic" from my husband more times this year than any other.

Overall, I'm calling it WIN. It's been a pretty good year so far with more fun planned!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Prev Next