Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
lisac957 wrote:
Question: do/did all of you know about the "Missed Connections" area on CraigsList?

I ask because I had no idea that existed until our media monitoring software picked up my company's name in one of the listings. Not somewhere I would have thought to look - maybe she hasn't either. But it's a great entertainment/time-killer regardless :)

Actually, Recoverie mentions in this thread that he posted to her there.

Yes, that's why I asked. I was wondering if most people know about that area on CraigsList or if it was just me who had no idea it existed.
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lisac957 wrote:
luckytotri wrote:
lisac957 wrote:
Question: do/did all of you know about the "Missed Connections" area on CraigsList?

I ask because I had no idea that existed until our media monitoring software picked up my company's name in one of the listings. Not somewhere I would have thought to look - maybe she hasn't either. But it's a great entertainment/time-killer regardless :)

Actually, Recoverie mentions in this thread that he posted to her there.

Yes, that's why I asked. I was wondering if most people know about that area on CraigsList or if it was just me who had no idea it existed.

Oh, I'm sorry. I see.

Yes, I did know about it, but I haven't ever looked at it. It's fun??

I never would have thought to look there if I was in that situation, but I would never think the guy was hitting on me unless he was directly asking me out, and even then I may not get it. I'm a completely clueless when it's happening to me.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the good old 'Do you know where the digestive enzymes are?' line! :)
This sounds like one of those missed opportunities things that will bug you forever. She could have just said no, she didn't have to go into so much detail. You could have made a joke about it, about it looking like you hang out in that aisle to pick women up with your killer line. I'd say that in that kind of situation, humor is the key, say something like 'look, this might seem a bit crazy, as I just used to worst chat up line ever, but do you fancy meeting for a coffee?'
It might work, it might not, you never know unless you try and who knows, one day you'll be sat telling your grandkids about how you met their grandma in the digestive enzymes aisle, you smooth talker you :)
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [ChloeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is back! Consider this the sequel, and a victory!

I took a huge step tonight while out getting groceries. While in line paying for my stuff, I kept trading glances with another checkout girl across from mine. Our eyes met, and often. I then hung around a bit while loading my stuff because some staff made a comment about local events to several customers in the store (it sounded cool!). I then grabbed my bags and left, all the while wishing I would have said something to the 'eye contact' girl. I stopped in the parking lot and had a pep talk with myself, remembering some things that some of you said on this thread. I then said to myself, "Are you going to man up and say something to this girl, or go home kicking yourself?" I then put down my bags at a nearby park where no one would take them, then headed back into the store. As I was about to go through the doors, I said to myself, "And don't wuss out by going back and buying something else like you forgot to get something. You did not forget something! That is weak sauce to grab something, go through her line, pay for it, keeping making eye contact, all nervous like, then leave again without saying something. Just do it!"

As I got into the store she and my regular checkout lady were still at their stations. Seeing several customers still around that were there when I just left, I realized that them being in close proximity to the 'eye contact girl' might cause them to hear what I was about to say. I started getting butterflies, and getting nervous, like I was about to go into a race. I then kept telling myself, "Do this, keeping moving, and say what a lot of guys in here were probably already thinking about how beautiful this girl is." I circled around the checkout line and waited in line at her register while she finished ringing up another customer. I made a quick glance at her as she was finishing the transaction and just happened to notice no ring on the alleged wedding ring finger. But, no matter, I didn't even let that thought or the fact she might have a boyfriend stop me now. As she finished ringing up the customer, she turned toward me, our eyes met, and I went for it, saying, "Hi, I just couldn't leave tonight without telling you that you are absolutely stunning. I've had a heck of week (and I have, with a health issue, and taking antibiotics for 10 days for it that was very rough, but didn't say that to her), and seeing your smile and your eyes really lifted my spirits. So, thank you." She was silent for a bit, but kept her eyes on me. She then raised her right hand to the ceiling and slowly brought it over to my side of the counter. I then realized she was giving me a high five. Our hands met, as did our eyes. What she said at this point was a blur to me now as I tell the story. Something about, "Thank you for saying that. I just send you a lot of light and energy, etc, and you have a very lit up expression (countenance) as well."

I then stayed around a bit with her at her station because another woman was mentioning a local event to everyone nearby that was to happen in a few hours. I then thought of asking this girl if she wanted to go, but thought it might be a bit too soon for that. I then started to leave the store, and this girl was headed in the same direction just ahead of me. I was going to turn right out the doors, but she was headed left to drop off some things. I then called out to her, telling her my name as I offered a handshake. She shook my hand telling me her name. I then said, "I'm not trying to be creepy, it's just been a really rough week and you lifted my spirits." She said she wasn't creeped out at all and was overall nice. I left, saying bye, maybe see you around. She said bye as well, and I was gone.

So, this encounter was a rite of passage for me. I've always had hangups because of supposed stereotypes of rejection that I thought would happen. But no, I was cool and spoke my mind, and she was cool back. She didn't run away, tell me to get lost or call for security. It was nice! I can't wait to try this again. I still have to say, you women are awesome. A guy can be having a rough day, week or year, but one look at a beautiful woman (especially those eyes and smile), can immediately lift his spirits and make him forget his worries. Thank you! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Asking out the opposite sex in public [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done. I've wholeheartedly adopted a line from a movie (We Bought a Zoo) that "all you really need is just 20 seconds of courage" and the rest will take care of itself.

Thanks for being the guy that made someone else smile today, and took a chance to make yourself feel great as well.

AW
Quote Reply

Prev Next