Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poop happens...too much! [texasjen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I wrote this 4 years ago but I wanted to share my progress.

I did Ironman Florida on Saturday and had NO GI ISSUES! Ran my first Ironman marathon under 4 hours.

This is what I used and did:

I used 240 calories/hour on the bike with EFS Pro. Then I went to EFS Liquid Shots and Base Salts. The first 13 miles was 400 calories of Liquid Shots and then Coke/Water with a shot every 2 miles, with Base.

My coach suggested a Low Residue diet for 2.5 days. Check it out...no lettuce, fruit, berries, almond butter, etc. I ALSO cut out wine for 7 days! For the most part, I did stick with GF breads and crackers but not sure that it really mattered. Low fiber and no alcohol did wonders for me.

I just wanted to let ladies know as I know it is a HUGE struggle for lots. I used no Immodium AD, as I have had in the past. I was masking the problem...not fixing it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to help!

Jen

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newbie here....can I just say that I...

Love.
This.
Forum!

Same issue, morning and evening, 20-30 minutes in. I've gone in the bushes, the ditch, tall grasses, or in a few instances where my options were let it go in the pants or in a public park(!!!) was luckily close enough to home to be rescued by my poor husband. "Drive! FASTER! Go go go!"

Anyway, I've tried gluten free, limiting dairy, no coffee before the run, but maybe it's coffee after all since it takes 48 hours to clear and I'll have had it within that window. And will try the other advice here. You ladies (and guys) rock. PS my favorite post is the one with the paper towel in the bra and "I can't believe I posted that." I'm with you sister. Run gear includes water, sunglasses, chapstick, and TP. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen, I'm so glad you had such a great race at IMFL!

I was so surprised to see you on this thread (I follow you on social media!), but it's a relief (no pun intended) that you've found a way to control this issue - the low residue diet pre-race sounds promising! Thanks for updating!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Poop happens...too much! [triutah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of our tri series sponsors has a runner's diarrhea/runner's trots product called Prev: http://www.preventprevail.com They say it tightens the pores of the stomach to minimize water pass-through, which causes the trots.

That sounds promising and the reviews are good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Poop happens...too much! [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I used to have this problem. And even now I know that 30 minutes into an IM run I will have to find a bathroom. I don't try to avoid it, I just find one and then run on.

But I started to increase my probiotic intake and it made a difference in just normal training, I was okay not running laps around the park with a bathroom that I had to use every 30 minutes.

I also have this problem, and similarly just sort of deal with it. Kind of embarrassing when you're on the treadmill at the gym though and stop 2+ times over, say, 9 ish miles. I've similarly noticed that I have less issues when I eat yogurt consistently.

I sooo appreciate the honesty and willingness to share about embarassing stuff on the womens forum.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Poop happens...too much! [swim13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you re: FL!

Yes, I don't post much here. I get scured ;) Yes, I have found relief, "the natural way." Eliminate fiber (3 days out) and alcohol (7 days out.) I was at a 10k race volunteering and this women said she took 10 Immodium AD's before a race. Something needs to change for that runner for sure!

Nutrition is so key for an Ironman Triathlon.

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oof - 10?!? I hope she was able to go again... Eventually. Cringe!!

KJ
Swim and Triathlon Coach
AllTerrainEndurance.com
KJ@allterrainendurance.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next