Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

getting back in shape without getting injured
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I had a rough winter, was pretty sick with some respiratory stuff, and got horribly outta shape.

This spring I'm having a hard time getting back in shape without getting a bunch of little injuries. Right now, one of my knees is acting-up, getting sore in between training runs. Not ever having had this problem before, I'm at a loss.

Advice? Maybe I need to be stretching more?
Quote Reply
Re: getting back in shape without getting injured [co_sunshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how long are you trying to run? if you did nothing all winter and your first runs back are 3+ miles, you're asking for injury. start with 10mins and see how that feels; if it hurts, start with less and build slowly.

have you looked at barry p's program? i've used it this year through marathon training and has kept me injury free, as well as increasing my speed and endurance. basically 3 short, easy runs/week (n mileage or time), 2 medium-length runs (n mileage/time x 2), 1 long run (n x 3). you could start as low as 3 x 5min runs + 2 x 10min + 1 x 15min, then work up from there.

best of luck - cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Frequency
Consistency

As stated above, run a couple of minutes every day (and then add in a second run of a couple of minutes on some of those days). Low recovery time and it's a good way to get back into shape.

Where is the knee pain? Front? Outer edge (thinking of IT band trouble), inner?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply