Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
clothes for cougars
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to pole the 40+ females about clothing manufactures for my age group. Does anyone else find it challenging to find classy clothes? That is to say not trashy nor for the grandmothers? Maybe I've just gotten too picky.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [fembeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you talking about day to day clothing? If so, I prefer Talbots, Anne Klein, etc. For triathlon clothing....DeSoto compression shorts and a tri top. I don't race in swimming suits anymore (sun exposure and not so flattering when I hit my 40's....).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dang, I really thought this was a spam post.

don't call yourself a cougar. that's like bragging you're a slut.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't consider myself a cougar (I agree with the poster who said it makes you sound like a slut), I do find it hard to find day to day clothes. I'm 44 and it's hard to find clothes that are classy and stylish. I have had some luck at Anne Taylor (on sale) and I've found a few shirts at Banana Republic, but their pants don't fit me at all. Fit is another issue - smaller waist, curvy hips, flat stomach (Anne Taylor has a new cut called 'curvy' which is a lifesaver in pants). Most of the time if requires more patience when I'm shopping - have to look thru a lot and try a lot of combinations to find stylish outfits. Classic basics with updated shoes and accessories will go a long way.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very curvy, and have found good luck with Mexx clothing, especially their skirts and stretch fabric pants. Most of my work pants and tops come from Mountain Equipment Co-op now ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpicedRum wrote:
dang, I really thought this was a spam post.

Yes. It is not cute or funny. I pick up pieces from all over that have been collected throughout the years. Target has nice pieces that can match some from Banana Republic and Gap (no skinny type action).

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
SpicedRum wrote:

fembeast's hubby here...

I just wanted to jump to her defense regarding the "cougar" wording. She was trying to play off of the "date a cougar" thread in the LR. I don't think she fully understood the behaviors associated with the common use of the term. And, I find that rather endearing. :)

I'm sure she gets it now. Given the chance, I bet she would have titled it something like "clothes for fit women over 40 who don't want to look like grannies or coeds".

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Dec 31, 11 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA! Whenever I get dressed up to go out with my girlfriends, I can't help but feel like I look like a cougar.

LOLE has some cute pieces: http://www.lolewomen.com/us/store/?activity=1743

Horny Toad fabric is heavenly: http://www.hornytoad.com/womens/

I like shopping at Nordstrom Rack and local boutiques.

Enjoy occasional shopping trips and wearing clothes that make you feel good. Its part of the reward for an active lifestyle!

Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the advice. Will definitely check out some of the places recommended.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
glad that's straightened out. To me it's like calling yourself (and friends) bitches etc.

I figured it was somewhat of a joke, but the post itself was pretty serious, not written with sarcasm etc. so it wasn't very clear.

Anyway, I'm 40 and probably dress like I'm 20. But I'm comfortable that way, and barely look 30 so I just go with it. The difference to me is I don't act like I'm 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't go wrong with Calvin Klein.

Classic, simple, and timeless. The clothes look good on just about anyone, since they're not trendy they stay in style forever, and they flatter any shape.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ralph Lauren, even if you have to shop outlets, because his fashions are pretty expensive. I picked up a $400 sweater in a consignment shop for $25, but it's timeless and beautiful.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curvy too and Donna Karan seems to understand a woman's body. I find her clothes comfortable and forgiving. I shop at outlets and look for stuff and sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear what your body can look good in, but with limitations. If you can, then dress 10 yrs younger than you are. My wife is 44 and has a better body than most 20-somethings, so will dress like a 30 yr old. But she won't dress like a 20 yr old floozy on the make. Fortunately for me she absolutely detests boy toys and prefers older men such as myself so never looks out of place the way the "cougars" often do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REI for casual stuff and Ann Taylor Loft or Banana Republic for work. Target for t shirts, shorts and sundresses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 43 and order almost all my clothes from either Athleta or Title 9. Prana is my favorite brand followed by Horny Toad. Great stuff. Jeans I get from Lucky. I am not sure there is a style appropriate for 40+ women except that Luckys are not flashy--just good fitting jeans. Athleta always has lots of great dresses.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your wife wrote "Just wanted to pole the 40+ females", ha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest checking out White House Black Market. They can be a little pricey, but they usually have good sales.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [chicklamino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph Lauren. A couple of timeless pieces last forever. Sales, online, discount coupons, (google can sometimes find them), ebay etc.

Old Navy to go with. You have to look carefully, and go fairly frequently but they can have some gems now and again.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [LuvMyCrappyBike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuvMyCrappyBike wrote:
You can't go wrong with Calvin Klein.

Classic, simple, and timeless. The clothes look good on just about anyone, since they're not trendy they stay in style forever, and they flatter any shape.
Well, CK is one of my favorite brand. I prefer simple style.

embroidered dress shirts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YarnYoda wrote:
their pants don't fit me at all. Fit is another issue - smaller waist, curvy hips, flat stomach (Anne Taylor has a new cut called 'curvy' which is a lifesaver in pants).

That describes me, the flat stomach , curvy hips part. For work pants I wear Express Original Editor pants. They come in "short" and seem to fit very well with my proportions. For jeans, White House Black Market for sure (I like a lot of things at WHBM) and Lucky jeans (sweet and low) fit good as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No advice for what you can where, but when I go out, I wear this:

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn, you women's are wound tight.
Quote Reply
Re: clothes for cougars [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was out with my mom and her age 60-something girlfriends that she has had for as long as I've been alive, they are a hilarious and inspirational group. Almost 70 doesn't look the same anymore.

Anyway! We are at dinner cracking jokes and getting smashed when one lady said: "Quit making me laugh, I'm going to pee my pants!" and her friend said "Haven't you been doing your "cougals"? and I said, "Cougals? Don't you mean Kegels?" We decided that Cougals are what you do after you hit age 40.

Aging is fun now, I miss the collagen but I'm getting over it. I could really do without the goggle marks as described in the other thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife also loves Ann Taylor and has the same small waist, curvy hips, flat stomach shape, but she has a real hard time finding jeans. They often have a gap at the waist band. Any stores or brands you can recommend?
Quote Reply

Prev Next