Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter
Quote | Reply
I got my daughter a Planet X Stealth for her graduation gift. We have spent quite a bit of time fitting her on the bike and we finally have her dialed in. Her position looks really, really good. She can (and will) eventually get a bit lower, but, it really looks good.

However, we are having an issue with her position on the saddle. She has a Fizik womens specific saddle (cannot recall which one right now). When she rides, she has too much curve on her back. When I flatten her back and get her to rotate her hips forward she is really uncomfortable on the saddle. She says it puts too much pressure on her "lady parts." I have tried to push her back on her sit bones, but, when I get her back flat, she says all the pressure is on her "lady parts."

I have tried to explain to her that she should feel the saddle more in the taint area and not where she is feeling it, but, she is not getting it.

Can you give me any tips? Being a guy, this is a bit out of my league. Is this common?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was forever having this problem. I just switched to an Adamo road saddle. Absolutely no pressure on the soft bits but I was having some bone soreness between the legs. I tried it with Oomph shorts with the distance pad and I had the most wonderful ride in my 10 years of cycling!
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was forever having this problem. I just switched to an Adamo road saddle. Absolutely no pressure on the soft bits but I was having some bone soreness between the legs. I tried it with Oomph shorts with the distance pad and I had the most wonderful ride in my 10 years of cycling!

That may be the issue. I quized her again and she is saying it is the "bone" that is "behind" her "lady parts." That does not make a whole lot of sense to me, but, sounds like what you are describing.

Anyone else?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your daughter is new to cycling, she is going to feel something somewhere. I have a Specialized woman's saddle and the weight is on my sit bones which are on the bottom of my butt and behind my soft tissue. This really doesn't feel all that different if I'm aiming for aero or sitting upright. Truth be told, both positions look pretty similar! I can live with being non-aero.

I'm thin so too cushy bike shorts cause me to chafe in the crotch where my legs meets my torso. Chammy butt'r generally takes care of it.

From a non-professional (but one who takes bke courses from one), sounds like the saddle isn't right or she just needs to get used to road riding. Soft-tissue issues isn't right, sit bones feeling bad, normal for a new rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [albarina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has been riding a road bike for a bit over a year now, but, never a tri bike. This is her first tri bike. When she is in the aerobars and has a curved back, she is fine. When I force her to flatten her back and rotate her hips forward, she complains. Not sure what is going on. I ride the nose of my saddle. I guess "the boys" are just used to it. But, as a guy, I cannot quite understand her explanation for how it hurts.

This is the saddle she has:

Fizik Women's Vitesse HP Wing Flex Bicycle Saddle - Titanium Rails

Here is her bike (NOT fitted in this pic. She is tiny. Seat is way down now and she has a 60mm stem):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA, I'm not an expert, but sounds like she isn't in the right saddle. The pro-women I ride with prefer a specialized. I use one too with no problems. But I'm not a pro and I don't even want to play one. Her bike looks really hot; try different saddles. I think that is the real answer. Best of luck to you and your sweet-heart girl.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [AZtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

X2 on the Adamo. I rode the race model today for a century ride and was comfortable. I have long suffered from having soft tissue problems ruining my rides-no more.

I am also small (5'2" and 110 lbs) and ride a very aggressive position on my tri bike

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. Just couldn't let your poor daughter suffer any longer without my 2 cents worth. I had the same problem with my new TT bike - can't roll the hips forward without the soft bits squishing painfully. I have a new Selle SMP saddle and it is brilliant. It has a big cut out for the soft bits and the nose drops off so you can get right on the end like the guys do without any pain. The other thing I found helpful is sloping the seat down a fraction ie. don't have it flat/level like a guy would have it. SMP have a range of saddles - get a lady's version for best fit. I started with the cheaper TRK model but have just upgraded to the Lady Composit. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's a Fiik Vitesse saddle. i have one on my road bike and love it. I couldn't imagine riding my tri bike with that saddle. I have a Fizik arione on the tri bike and love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [rjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post. Just couldn't let your poor daughter suffer any longer without my 2 cents worth. I had the same problem with my new TT bike - can't roll the hips forward without the soft bits squishing painfully. I have a new Selle SMP saddle and it is brilliant. It has a big cut out for the soft bits and the nose drops off so you can get right on the end like the guys do without any pain. The other thing I found helpful is sloping the seat down a fraction ie. don't have it flat/level like a guy would have it. SMP have a range of saddles - get a lady's version for best fit. I started with the cheaper TRK model but have just upgraded to the Lady Composit. Good Luck!

Cool. Thank you very much for the tip. Will be looking at a new saddle this weekend.

Quote Reply
Re: Womens: Help me w/ saddle position issue for my daughter [vmandel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
that's a Fiik Vitesse saddle. i have one on my road bike and love it. I couldn't imagine riding my tri bike with that saddle. I have a Fizik arione on the tri bike and love it.

Figured I made a bad choice on saddle. Thanks for the info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
might as well look at the cobb v-flow max as well - it's not as wild-looking as the SMP saddles (which i heavily considered), but it's also not as pricey. has a massive cutout, and turned my bike from a torture machine into something i can actually ride 2 days in a row.

the cobb also has a 6 month satisfaction guarantee, which was a deal maker for me.

http://www.cobbcycling.com/.../V-Flow_Max_C1P4.cfm

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ditto on the Adamo. I believe I have the race saddle vs the road but I have been much more comfortable. Plus it comes in pink!
Quote Reply