Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's Tri Shorts...Help!
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first sprint in a few weeks. Can anyone suggest some really good women's tri shorts? The kind that isn't going to be completely unflattering on a not so perfect body! I ordered some Zoot shorts and I'm not exactly loving them. Please help! Need to get something ordered ASAP. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Tri Shorts...Help! [kdbaily] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look for something without leg grippers - desoto comes immediately to mind, and i know louis garneau makes tri shorts that just have a wide compression band (~2") at the bottom instead of the tight elastic or silicon.

zoot and orca's leg grippers result in pretty nasty "sausage leg". i really like the way sugoi's stuff fits me, but i'm sure their cuts are awful for some, depending on exact measurements/body composition/frame size.

good luck finding something you like, but keep in mind that the other participants are going to be FAR more concerned with moving themselves along the course than what you look like! :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I am more rotund than I would care to be, and just got my first pair of tri shorts - Sugoi, with leg grippers. I like 'em.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Tri Shorts...Help! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me I'm worried about getting myself across the finish line!

This is my first triathlong and the closer it gets the more nervous I get. I can't imagine how I'll feel on race day. I'm a runner with a little cycling experience and up until 12 weeks ago very little swimming experience. We've been training 4-5 days a weeks for the past 12 weeks and I can't help but think we're not doing enough!!! Any advice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Panic is normal! Not sure that helps much but I have yet to meet anyone who felt they were prepared for their first triathlon.

There should be lots of good online guides for first time triathletes (I'll give you too much info and all the wrong details so I'll refrain and let someone better either tell you or point you to the right resources).

The best advice I can give is that this is your first time so don't go in with big expectations, be prepared to learn a lot and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
relax and enjoy! you'll never have another first :)

i'm doing my 2nd tomorrow morning, and am steadily alternating between a state of "i have done my training" zen and "everything's going to go wrong" panic *lol*

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love 2XU! They have leg grippers but they don't sausage your legs. For some reason DeSoto has never fit me real well. I love the 2XU Race Pro Hipster tri shorts because they are cut lower in the waist and shorter in the leg. But I also have the 2XU Race Pro Comp tri shorts, which have a little more traditional fit. I just did a full ironman in the hipster tri shorts and they were comfortable all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for desoto here. I use the women's carrera short. Be careful if you buy this one online though- there are two options, "regular" or "low-rise" which comes a little lower down from your waist- make sure you get what you want!

As for your race- as a runner you are lucky, because your confidence will improve throughout the whole race!
Some tips that help with nerves:
1. Thoroughly dunk yourself before getting in the water, and warm up in the water if you can. It's not fun to jump in cold water and having the feeling of your breath being taken away.
2. Put your bike is in a pretty easy gear when you rack it- so that when you hop on, you're not grinding away and fumbling with shifting.
3. saliva=good goggle anti-fog!
4. Get to transition early and set everything up with plenty of time...memorize your rack location!

YOU'LL DO GREAT
Quote Reply
Re: Women's Tri Shorts...Help! [mellorite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the advice!!! I still have 4 weeks of jitters! I'll be a mess race day, I just know it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also try a tri short with a longer inseam-- zoot and I think TYR have tri shorts with a 8" inseam.... eliminates sausage leg and wont ride up while youre running.

Louis garneau's shorts have a less severe elastic too, which helps.
Quote Reply