Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weight Loss Tips
Quote | Reply
My wonderful, wonderful, amazing best friend emailed me today and is planning to make big changes in her life and would really like to lose weight--50lbs is the ultimate goal, but 20 lbs is what is her "real" goal, at least for right now. She's an ex-swimmer, NOT a triathlete (even though she's done one with me), and I think mostly just wants to watch her eating more and exercise more. I sent her my laundry list of food tips and exercise tips (esp. strength), but I thought I'd pose the question to you ladies--any tricks/tips/etc. that have helped you with weight loss? Any comments/thoughts greatly appreciated! She seems super-motivated right now and we're emailing each other our food/training logs right now...but I was thinking just a few extra pieces of advice might help--and I only know so much! :)
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what worked for me (I lost 40 lbs in 9 months).

Whole foods. Lots of fresh fruits/veggies. Buy a lot and then make sure you eat them before they go bad.

Watch processed sugar. Even fat free strawberry yogurt has it. Have plain fat free yogurt with fresh berries instead.

Eat something 100 calories or so after working out (even the shorter workouts where you don't need a recovery drink/meal). It helps you from being starving later.

Eat breakfast. Even if you aren't hungry. Everyone always says this and it is so true. Even today I was in a hurry, wasn't hungry and left the house. With 2 hours I was hitting a convenience store to find something. I settled on the healthiest things they had, but it's about 2x the calories I would normally eat for breakfast.

When I started to lose weight I would allow myselft a day where after my workouts I could eat as I pleased. This normally meant pizza on Sundays only weighed myself once a week on Mondays. So eventually I got to the point where I wouldn't want to eat pizza because I knew I was weighing myself Monday morning. Mind trick, but it worked.

Give up alcohol. In the past 7 years (since I turned 30), I found a pattern. I would workout and eat right during the week and lose a couple pounds. Then on the weekend I'll still workout and eat right, but would also drink. I would gain those couple pounds right back. Alcohol seems to slow down my metabolism a lot and so it takes working out a lot more to counter it. Even when I was only drinking 2 beers a week, those 300 calories seemed to be ten fold.

I've never been good at at food diary, but it seems to work for a lot of people.

Get rid of all junkfood in the house. I have NO will power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since getting rid of processed foods and artificial sweeteners, I feel great. Next to giving up smoking years ago, giving up artificial sweeteners is one of the best things I have done for myself. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing tastes as good as thin feels

sorry, I'm feeling anorexic today. Tell her to keep track of what she eats, don't eat processed stuff, eat 400 calories every 3-4 hours combo of carb fat protein... exercise... that should do it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jan 13, 09 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WRONG! :D

Quote | Reply
I enjoy feeling like a runway model far too much.

Yeah, we're not discussing this. I just got back from a therapy appointment. I don't need more of it :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have found Calorie King, www.calorieking.com, to be very helpful in keeping track of calories in vs. calories out and keeping me accountable. For me, at least, I think the system overestimates what I burn for exercise, but they have a manual calorie override function that takes care of that. Some people are great at keeping their own food diary for weight loss, but having a computer program that makes it easier is worth the $7/month to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eat big at breakfast OR lunch (mid size whichever is not so big) and smaller at dinner.

Resolve not to eat anything after 8pm.

If you feel hungry after that have a herbal tea (I like peppermint with a small spoon of honey).

Perhaps go for a 20-30min walk after dinner - helps digestion, keeps metabolism ticking a bit longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My weight just kept creeping up little by little over the past few years. I pulled the trigger and did an iron-distance in November, so don't let me say that all that training had nothing to do with it, but during the first few months I was still eating like crazy.

Someone told me to start writing it down (I logged it online at fitday.com) and I was shocked. I started making some smarter decisions, getting a little more serious about the water intake and paying attention to what times I was eating and my moods. I quit eating to make myself feel better and went for high return-on-investment foods - things that make me feel good (or better, if needed) but don't derail the whole train. I started going for healthier ice cream when ice cream was necessary (I still can't replace with sorbet though....there are some things that just don't fool my brain), being more adamant about the snacks (fruit in the morning, almonds in the afternoon - or something like that) and just paying attention.

Again, I was in a fairly heavy training pattern - but I dropped about 12 pounds in about 2 months - while increasing my muscle mass. As an example the other way - and why the changes we make should be those we choose to make for the rest of our lives - I went head-first off the freaking wagon after that race - have lost a lot of muscle, quit paying attention and logging food and though I only gained back about 7lbs, I've felt like crap for a month.

Tell her we'll be behind her all the way and proud of her accomplishments at every step. Tell her to believe in her committments and that there's nothing she can't do!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all easier said than done right. Move more, eat less etc.

The things that helps me the most and that I also struggle with, is just to be mindful. If I stop and think "do I really want to eat this?" (if it's something none too healthy) I usually don't. Too often though I'll eat something then think "why in the hell did I eat that?"

I was in Starbucks this morning and the rice krispie treats were looking pretty good. I thought about it and decided to eat the plain yogurt and berries (thanks Maggs) I had in my car instead.

I think another important factor is to be prepared. Have healthy, filling stuff on hand at work and home so that the rice krispie treat, brownie etc. doesn't end up down the hatch.

Good luck to your friend and to all of us who are fighting the weight fight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Food logging.

Any of the web sites already listed should work.

Spend the equivalent to a college semester educating yourself about nutrition.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome post!! I have a new dear friend that I am starting to mentor in the workout regime. She also wants to lose weight and is an ex-swimmer. I will send her this link! I think one of the coolest things we can do as active women is to get other women active too! Its totally empowering!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for sure! :-) where do you live in CO? i just moved here!
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great replies! I am really tired of carrying around this extra dead weight. I won't profess to help people keep it off, but a great free site to log is

http://www.sparkpeople.com

Thanks for being so supportive here :)

----------------------
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
WRONG! :D

Amen Sister!
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [mccannathon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nothing tastes as good as thin feels See, for me this rings true. I feel better when I can exert some self control (which is not often.) So thin actually feels better than tastes. For TC and others sturggling with disorders, maybe not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lost about 23 pounds in the last 9 months. For me it didn't start to fall off until I started to lift weights (in addition to regular cardio). Throughout the winter all I did was cardio 3x a week and weights 3x a week and it fell off. I honestly think the weights, for me, was the key to getting the flab to shed itself off da a$$. So, in addition to all of the great stuff people have said about food, encourage her to incorporate a weight workout; one that she enjoys.

Quote | Reply
I completely understand that the only way we as humans will give up something, delicious foods, is that they want something else , thinness speed or even longevity.

I am resisting the temptation of listing the foods that taste better than thin. For me, performance tastes way better than thin. If I don't eat I don't perform.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
p90x
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to use the mantra that Nothing tastes as good as fast feels. Seems a bit healthier to me :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you tell yourself when you ate that giant ice cream cone the other day? ;P

Quote | Reply
I had run a hard 2 hour tempo run. So yes, I did. I figured it balanced it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [RunMomRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've lost about 23 pounds in the last 9 months. For me it didn't start to fall off until I started to lift weights (in addition to regular cardio). Throughout the winter all I did was cardio 3x a week and weights 3x a week and it fell off. I honestly think the weights, for me, was the key to getting the flab to shed itself off da a$$. So, in addition to all of the great stuff people have said about food, encourage her to incorporate a weight workout; one that she enjoys.

That's phenomenal advice, and a great track record for you, so to speak. Deep down I know that a consistent weight program is the key for me and I also know that I don't keep it up as long or intensely as is best. When I move next week, I'll start. And I think you hit the nail on the head - one you ENJOY!

----------------------
You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them. ~Michael Jordan
Quote Reply
Re: Weight Loss Tips [ironmoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with any endeavour to lose weight, you have to make sure that the nutritional intake (note: not diet. diets are temporary - healthy nutritional intake is for life) and exercise programme are enjoyable and sustainable. you will be more likely to exercise if you enjoy what you do, and there is such a range of activity available that everyone should be able to find something they enjoy. i lost 28lbs and halved my body fat percentage without ever setting foot in a gym - mostly through doing tae bo, kickboxing, aerobics, pilates, circuit training, tai chi and yoga videos in my livingroom. i added resistance training as well, and it helped. then i ditched the little pink girly weights and started lifting heavy, and not only did i gain strength without bulk, i raised my resting metabolic rate by adding lean mass. cardio only really burns calories while you're doing it - resistance training not only has a much longer thermic effect (that is, continues burning calories after the workout ends for hours instead of minutes), but gaining lean muscle lets you burn more calories at rest.

strictly for weight loss purposes (without any consideration for training for an athletic event), resistance training combined with HIIT (high intensity interval training) are considered to be the most efficient means of burning fat and increasing RMR.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
"nothing tastes as good as thin feels See, for me this rings true. I feel better when I can exert some self control (which is not often.) So thin actually feels better than tastes. For TC and others sturggling with disorders, maybe not so much.
"

I have far too many of those little sayings. Once a Runner is a gold mine...

Quote Reply

Prev Next