Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30)
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
goal for the week = enjoy being home (I'm on spring break this week). I have some work to do as I teach next term, but am trying to force myself not to do stuff I don't actually have to do (not working is surprisingly hard for me).

I did very much enjoy my time home. I did some work but didn't spend all my time doing work, and I had a good time with my family. I got a cold on Tuesday and spent that day in bed because I was just so tired, so that was a rest day. The other 6 days = running for a total of 60 miles. Didn't swim; biked once (3 mi back to my apartment when I arrived in Oregon yesterday); did a couple hours on the stairmaster (spread over 3 sessions).

Goals for this week
Swim 5x
Way way way less run mileage (Achilles is a little sore)
bike 5x

I need to whip myself into swim shape for a 3-day meet April 9/10/11.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty good week. Got in 4 solid runs. Our dog is really settling in (good and bad) and we've done some nice big dog walks. I really missed that. My son is big enough/old enough that he came along this weekend to the dog park. The walk was slower, but he was a trooper & the dogs got extra run time out of it. It's fun to get out and about as 2/3 of a family (my husband isn't much of a walker & when he does come he walks sllloooooowwww).

This week, another 4 runs & maybe a little bike time (probably trainer time - the forecast isn't looking promising). It's almost bike season and it's going to be a shock to the system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't have been thinking straight last week when I said
Quote:
swim x 4, bike x 4, run x 6
since my training plan only had 3 bikes scheduled and it was supposed to be a rest week in general. In the end, I managed 3 swims, 3 bikes and 5 runs (although two of those runs were in one day so I really think of it as 4 - I started out, felt rubbish, headed home and then tried again later in the day).

This week: swim x 3 (pool is closed Fri-Mon for Easter), bike x 4 (including FTP test), run x 6 (including a 12 mile run).

In non-triathlon stuff I really want to get one of the rooms in the basement, which used to be our study and is now more of a dumping ground, sorted out. My mom, sister and sister's boyfriend are all visiting in June and I need to create some more sleeping space. This will also probably lead to some re-arranging of the training room in the basement in due course.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm always happy to hear that fast people have crappy running days too. My ratio is one great run, a couple okay runs, a couple crappy runs & then a good run just when I want to quit running altogether & go back to biking full-time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 runs, 1 swim, no bike. Ugh.. Bike fail.
Anyway, we were supposed to to this event on Sat. (biking) but it was just too cold so we bailed. I don't even feel bad about it. It was single digits at the race site in the morning.
My long run on Sat. went so badly that the highlight of the run was eating a salted caramel gu.
Sunday was WAY TOO BUSY.
Church, bridal shower for a dear friend, church related group dinner. I got in my shorter run in the morning before church... it was still SO COLD. But that run went OK, and today's run felt good.

This week is the last big big week of marathon training. Next week is a bit of a step down and then a full on taper.
This Saturday I have the last (third) 20 miler. Since it's Easter weekend I'm not sure if I'll have my training buddy with me or not.
I hope I can get someone to run with me because I run better WITH someone than solo. I am guaranteed to run faster if I'm not alone. Anyone else like this???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's plan w/results: Run 4x - DONE and feelin' fine, ride 3x - FAIL rode once, coach football 2x - DONE and hilarious - these kids area awesome, weights x3 (found this new program called 5x5, I like it so far) - DONE and I still like it, so simple; swim 1x - FAIL it poured here all weekend and something about swimming when it's weather like that just doesn't seem appealing; lots of dog walks - DONE and so much fun. :-)

This week:
- 5x run
- 1x ride
- 1x coaching
- 3x weights
- 2nd round job i/view tomorrow (fingers crossed! I really really want this one!)
- enjoy the long weekend and not be sad I'm not going to Xantusia

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I obviously sound faster than I am :-) I certainly don't feel fast when the OH comes home and talks about how he ran 12 miles at 8:30/mile and didn't even really feel it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh. After my highly productive few days off, I was too fatigued and swollen to do much of anything last week. I managed two bike workouts. The highlight was that Sunday's ride was OUTSIDE (yaaaay!) but was slightly dampened by the fact that I forgot my flat kit, and I was pretty panicked about that. Kept it to an hour so I didn't get too far out of town.

I'm still having issues midweek with swelling and nerve problems due to the swelling, which creates more swelling.

My doctor has challenged me to start dancing again. Her hypothesis is that I keep getting injured because I don't have the muscle to support and stabilize the way I move. That I move like a dancer. Fair enough, and I think I even agree. She is also a dancer, and my PT was having me dance in PT last year. I'm not saying no.

No running until I can successfully do barre in ballet, including doing the portions that are in releve. So, I have to pack my ass off to ballet class tonight. I haven't danced in 11 years. This is going to be ugly. And probably embarrassing. And horrific. I think it's a healthy challenge, but I broke up with dance for a reason, and that reason was because my body was breaking down. And I lacked the maturity, at the time, to be okay with having any limitations, so I just flat out moved on. Maybe this will no longer be true, but it's still a bit of a mindf**k for me.

If I skip ballet, I have to swim. Motivation!

This week's goals:
4 x bike
2 x ballet (or penalty swim)
I would like to swim three times, at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried acupuncture for the swelling?

Can you pretend that you've never been to dance class before? Even just to get into the mindset of having no expectations of how it should be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Have you tried acupuncture for the swelling?

Can you pretend that you've never been to dance class before? Even just to get into the mindset of having no expectations of how it should be?[/quote

I have, and it really helps. I haven't been for a few weeks due to work being nuts, but I should try and make time.

I think my type A just comes out, and it leads to my feeling really down on myself. I've had a lot of practice with that lately, though, since I've been injured essentially since the fall of 2013. That is not something they teach you in the dance world - instead, it's just suck it up and make it happen, and if you can't, get out of the way of the person who will.

I will try to talk to the teacher tonight to explain that I am rehabbing, since I will likely need to bow out early even due to it just being a beginner class. I don't think my foot will be up to 90 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can eat again, though I'm still limiting caffeine & spicy foods.

No goals for last week & pools were a no-go (home pool closed, alternate turned out to be closed as well), plus one day off work (Mon) to try to feel human again & concert Thurs nite (= no training). I spent a lot of time sleeping because I felt completely wiped out even once I managed to get my stomach settled again.

Run x 5 (double run Saturday)
Core/strength x 4
Bike x 1
Some walking

This week's goals:
Swim x 3
Bike x 2
Run x 6
Core/strength x 4

Run remains the major focus. 3.5 weeks until Pick Your Poison 25k - 7.5 weeks until Sulphur Springs 50k.

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
So how did it go?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my birthday today!!! Not changing AGs, so not a biggie, but I'm happy. Made cupcakes with the kidlet, made frosting - watched kidlet become non-verbally hyperactive, drank hot chocolate out of a bowl at a franch brunch place, and my brother bought me a custom Chrome backpack. All is well.

Last week's goals - woo hoo!! I'm following the Sufferfest Novice plan and it's kicking my ass but I feel myself getting stronger (and see the results on trainerroad). I did my brick on a treadmill and trainer (Chrysalis) and pushed it down to 8 min/mile on the last run interval. It may not seem like much but for this Seven Hour Marathoner (Trademark) it feels like flying.
Run * 1 - done!
Bike * 2 - done!
Swim * 2 - done!
Yoga * 1 - done!
Brick * 1 - done!

This week's goals
Cupcakes * 3 - done!
Run * 2
Bike * 2
Swim * 2
Yoga * 1
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [FyreHaar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday! Excellent work on the cupcakes :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Birthday!!! My son loves to bake - and lick the beaters....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
So how did it go?

After psyching myself up, the teacher turned out to be sick so the class was cancelled. :( First swim of the week complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy birthday!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A belated happy birthday!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all, it was wonderful!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do Thread (March 30) [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This might be a stupid question, but have you tried yoga? I had a friend who got into triathlon from ballet, but had to stop running because she had snapping hip syndrome. She was able to keep biking and swimming, but no more running. From there, she got into yoga and built up a good amount of strength doing that. After a couple of years, she had a hip surgery (I think to shorten the psoas tendon) and from there was able to start running again. I think she attributes most of that to strengthening her hips and core in yoga.

I'm not sure about the background of your injury, but you might find some benefit from a strength-based yoga class, or some one-on-one time in yoga or pilates. That might be mentally easier than trying to go back to ballet after 11 years (although maybe you'd put just as much pressure on yourself to be instantly good at Ashtanga as at ballet).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents were visiting from the Midwest, so I spent most of the week doing tourist stuff. Walked about 20 miles, and not much else. Ate a lot, though! And it was okay, because I was recovering from my first ever marathon!

After Mom and Dad left, I dove into a swim prep block. Swimming every day from now until the beginning of my IM training plan next weekend.

Unfortunately, a dear friend passed away last Saturday, so I'll be traveling back to the Midwest for her memorial. This weekend will be running only, as a result. After I get back, I plan to take a recovery week with extra swimming so I'm fresh for my first week of IM training. Run 3x, bike 3x, swim 5x, and strength 2x.
Quote Reply