Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly How'd You Do: February 27
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: February 27 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was awesome. It was school vacation week, so I wasn't pressed for time in the morning and I managed a big week of training. No cycling, but that's ok. I also got a bunch of grad school work done.

M - 10 mi run + 4000 yd swim
T - 7.5 mi run + 4500 yd swim
W - 15 mi run
Th - 7.5 mi run (mile repeats, 6:44, 6:40, 6:35) + 4500 yd swim
F - 13 mi run + 1000 yd swim
S - 6.5 mi run + 1500 yd swim
S - 8.25 mi run (2 x 15 min @ 6:44, 6:35 pace, 3 min recoveries) + 1 mi walk + lift

Totals: 15,500 yd swim; 67.8 mi run

I also did a really good job with eating. I discovered that a small amount of good quality chocolate is worth it - then I don't eat 2 packs of m+ms :-) tastes better and less sugar.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week went well until I hit the weekend.
Saturday's long run was a failure - I didn't get to the scheduled mileage, and the last roughly 5mi of what I did run was a walk/jog.
Sunday was a total disaster as I sat around and did nothing. Ok, some laundry.

On the plus side - I got up and rode the trainer 2x in the morning before work.
Amazing.
two weeks in a row!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - awesome week !! Lot's of running, good job. And I'm always impressed w/ your swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: February 27 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Determination -
Good week - esp on bike.
Why the shortened long run? Just not feeling good? THat happens, and you did exactly the right thing. LIsten to your body. Sometimes it's not ready to do everything our mind has planned for it. I'm glad you took an extra day off. I hope you enjoyed it, and you got laundry done - so that's a plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week went pretty well. I wish I could have done one more bike, but otherwise, I'm happy.

Mon - Swim 3000
Tues - Run 8.7 a.m., Bike 1:30 hours p.m.
Wed - Run 6.6 a.m., Bike 1:15 hr p.m.
Thurs - Run 6 - very slow, legs tired
Fri - Swim 3000
Sat - Run 5, bike 3:30, then run 1.5 transition run, with my son who'll be going out for cross country next year
Sun - Run 20.25, Swim 1500 (swim lesson - wanted to make sure my form is ok. I feel much better about my swim than I have in a while).

Totals: Swim - 7,500 - not as much as I wanted, but happy about swim lesson, next week try to get in 10K.
Run - 48.3 - still hurting a little, but improving.
Bike - 6:15 hours, wanted one more, but not horrible.

Goals for this week. Swim 10K
Run 53
Bike 7- 7:30
One more heavy week before I take a recovery week.

Good training to all!!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: February 27 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice week!

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: February 27 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad - great job! Looks like you had a fabulous week!

Re: the long run - I was just really struggling to get through it. It was cold and windy, which didn't help much... I started out feeling like I had lead legs, then around mile 4 I felt better... but then miles 8-10 were feeling crummy again. My friend joined me at mile 10, when I saw her I was rather teary and frustrated... it doesn't usually take me as long as it has been to run 10 miles (I have been slower than dirt since early Jan.). But the main thing is that I felt crummy and just couldn't keep RUNNING.

It has really been a mammoth struggle to get through my long run each weekend. Even on those "fall back" weeks where my weekend long run is shorter. It really makes me wonder how I trained for two ironmans... because what I'm doing now is definitely less than that... but I feel much worse and I'm slow!

I'm going to the doctor today during my lunch break, actually. I haven't slept well since Christmas...we'll see what they say. Hypothyroidism runs badly in my family (both my mom and her mom), or perhaps I'm somehow anemic. Who knows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! Good job!!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lack of sleep can definitely make running rough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Determination,
I don't know what stage of development you are in your running, but I know for me I struggled through my long runs for the first several years, and I still have hard ones. Can you say more about your running history, training plan, goals, mileage increase, long runs as a percent of total weekly volume? That kind of details can help the collective womens help more.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a week of highs and lows for me. At the beginning of the week I aggravated an old back injury--something which leaves me flat on my back until medication masks the pain. Following a week of being sick, it blew my peak training weeks for my marathon all to hell.

On the other hand, I was more rested than I planned for a half marathon yesterday (which I originally was going to train through). Snagged 1st in my AG, and set an insanely huge PR. There really is something to the 100 runs/100 days challenge....

Got my swims in but skipped the bike because of the potential to further aggravate the lower back. We'll see what this week brings. It's officially the start of my two week taper to my spring marathon. Because I don't have the accumulated fatigue I usually would at this point, I think that while I taper the run I'll probably keep up, even increase, the swim and bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly How'd You Do: February 27 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your PR and AG win!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI there Tri3 -
I have been pretty much running on and off since high school. I did my first triathlon in 1998. I was only rather sporadic about tris until 2003, when I started doing them more regularly, I think from 2003 - 2006 I ran about 3-4 times per week.
I have been running 4-5 times (sometimes 6x) per week since 2006.
I think one of the major factors is that last August I started a radically different type of job - I basically went from a desk job to a MUCH more active physical job (on and off my feet all day, bending, squatting, lifting, etc.).
Did IM in 2006 and 2008, and a stand alone marathon in 2008. In all three races, my limiter on the run was knee pain that doesn't come up until >20 miles. So no knee pain in 20 mi training runs, just a touch of the start of an ache.

I put together a marathon training program that I adapted from my past IM trainings... with the idea in mind that I'd focus a little more on the run and dial back the swim and bike to 'maintenance' level so I don't completely fall apart in those disciplines.
During my IM training I got up to 50mpw at peak with about 175-200 mpw of bike and 9,000meters per week swimming. It was tough but I handled it just fine, slept well and whatnot.

So for this training program, I was hanging out at 40 something mpw for a while... maybe maxing out at 50mpw. I gradually built up my miles and long runs over the fall to prep for the official marathon training. I have been trying to have a mid week longer-ish run of about 10 miles, but I can't seem to get past 8. I just don't have the energy after work (and don't you even suggest I do it before work! I'd have to get up 2 hours earlier than normal, and I already HATE mornings). My longest run so far was 18, and a struggle at that.

Regardless, I looked at my blood test results from the dr yesterday.
Looks like I might have some anemia going on.
Curious to see what the dr says.
Hemoglobin and hematocrit are quite low, there's other parameters that are low and a couple that are high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have the base, so it's not being new to training. Low iron levels would definitely have that impact, though. You mentioned that you're not a morning person--how is the quantity and quality of your sleep?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sleep quality has been suffering since Christmas. That's why I went to the doctor.
I am faithfully in the sack from 10pm to 6am or so.
Since Christmas I've been not getting the quality. It's not unusual for me to wake up in the night, but since Dec. my wake ups have been more frequent and more disruptive.
I have never in my life been a morning person though.
Quote Reply