Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Waxing, laser or shave?
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies!
I need some help. I get saddle sores on my lady parts very frequently and I am wondering whether I should try laser hair removal or waxing. I shave frequently, use a lot of chamois cream or vaseline but ride a lot of long hours indoors in aero position, so I am usually a soaked mess.
What works best for you? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [Schubi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vote for waxing here. I get a Brazilian wax every 4-6 weeks and really notice a difference if I leave it any longer than that. It's really helped with chafing issues and so far no saddle sores (touch wood).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the benefits of where I work is having access to low or no-cost salon services. My vote is for the more permanent solution of laser. The treatments can be KILL.ME.NOW-painful, depending on where that laser goes...I recommend having your technician apply cold air in addition to lidocaine. I have had no saddle sore issues since going hairless down South.

No matter what you choose outside of shaving, it's going to hurt. You might as well hurt once instead of repeating it.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another avenue - instead of lubricating stuff, try Zeabsorb. It's like baby powder and keeps things drier, which for me has meant fewer skin issues in sensitive areas.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you need multiple sessions of laser for it to be effective?
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it took 4-6 sessions. That's how I found out cold air and lidocaine made it tolerable.

The laser gets the hair that's exposed that day. Other hair, which always is growing at different rates, gets eliminated at progressive sessions.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Jun 26, 16 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to know! I know it sounds ridiculous but I am inexplicably terrified of the laser.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Good to know! I know it sounds ridiculous but I am inexplicably terrified of the laser.

I feel like that's reasonable. I'm luckily not very hairy, the idea of waxing is unimaginable to me...
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started off waxing my legs as a teenager and then moved to underarms/Brazilian in my late twenties. Took me some time to get used to the indignity of taking my underwear off - luckily I have found an esthetician I like and get along with so we're usually too busy yapping for me to think about it too much. The pain doesn't really bother me.
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice. Will give that a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I felt I should respond to this as I have very strong views!.... waxing, waxing, waxing!!!

I get a wax every 4-6 weeks and like Scheherazade said, I also notice a difference if i don't get booked in on time - itchy, chafing etc. The waxing hurt a little the first few times, but the more you have it done the easier the hairs come out and now (after around 18 months - 2 years of regular waxing) the hairs are so easy to get out and grow back so sparse that even if I go when I am due on (& therefore more sensitive down there) it doesn't hurt at all.

I looked into laser hair removal and just couldn't justify the cost. Also, if you do research this make sure you don't get confused with laser and IPL - my sister got this done and the hairs grew back within a year (admittedly she does have coarse, black hair). I hope this help. I can not recommend the waxing option enough!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal experience...I did laser and I STILL have issues. I did 6 treatments. I am not a doctor, I just play one on TV (HA!). I feel that when you laser there are still pores there. Nothing is coming out anymore but bacteria is still getting in those pores. So the saddles sores will come again....TMI?

I have tried so many different "voodoo" treatments. My best bet has been cycling bibs (spend the money) and Climb On (Company in TX) or Crotch Guard.

Hope that helps!

Jen

Jen Rulon
Chasing that Kona Dream since 1989
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I epilator, and also use a tea tree oil soap. At the first sign of any potential saddle sores, or in particularly hot or humid weather, I also use tea tree oil on a wet cotton ball around the area. I ride year round on my trainer, daily, sometimes up to 14 hours a week, so I used to be plagued by them.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waxing is the best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should go for waxing. By wife does that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of the benefits of where I work is having access to low or no-cost salon services.

OMG, what a great perk! So manis, pedis, massages? Good for you! I am so jealous!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now I have to Google vulvar disfigurement and sit on candle wax?

Things I learn on SlowTwitch...

Although tilting the seat down may be a good idea, especially if it helps alleviate my new propensity for hemorrhoids with hard pedaling :-(

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Waxing, laser or shave? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
One of the benefits of where I work is having access to low or no-cost salon services.

OMG, what a great perk! So manis, pedis, massages? Good for you! I am so jealous!

Yes, although it was low-cost and not free to have my hair permanently laser'd off . And I tipped her well too...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waxing seemed to be ideal for me, but I can't afford to keep it up. I'm curious about the laser and the cost - and the pain, of course. The waxing wasn't that painful to me at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer waxing but if the laser rates goes down then I will go for laser treatment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, waxing is the best one. But my friend has done well with laser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you use a loofa and scrub really good. Also, clean shorts with proper detergent.
Quote Reply