Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Under $100 exercise gear for home
Quote | Reply
What's your favorite at home workout "thing" you own and use that cost under $100? Talking video, weights, gimick (doubt I'll be buying a shake weight any time soon...), whatever.

I'm in need of some workout gear for the house, can't do the gym right now and it's too cold out to take the kids for long walks or runs with me, so I'm stuck inside. I can't use the bike/trainer right now, so that's out, but looking to see if anyone has any good ideas. Gotta get rid of this baby weight, and I'm plumb out of ideas...

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Under $100 exercise gear for home [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for about $15 you can have two of my favs - a swiss ball and a bag of rocks.

you can do a lot of core and strength exercises with the swiss ball.

for $4 i managed to find a 40lb bag of rocks at home depot (this is a little more than 1/4 of my bodyweight). i put the bag in an old pillowcase to be a bit easier on the hands and take it for walks. try walking 1 mile carrying 1/4 of your bodyweight; it's more challenging than you might think, especially when it doesn't have convenient handles. try switching your grip so you're carrying in on your hip (change sides), on your shoulder or back of your shoulders, cradled in your arms, etc. you can also do "sandbag" exercises with it - try googling to get ideas.

oh, and don't forget a jump rope, or even a good sturdy stool to do step-ups or plyo exercises. you could probably get all 4 for under $100.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I downloaded Bikram's i-tunes podcast (like $20.00) for use now that I can't go to the heated studio. If you've done it before, you could do safely at home. Great for increasing muscle strength. My hubster has some resistance bands that I also use, and there are some videos on youtube and netflix (also some hulu) that you can get streamed in if you want. There's also something to be said for creating your own routine - you know what you need to work on, and creating a sort of "circuit" for yourself might be just the trick to increase motivation and stave boredom. I know some folks that had amazing success with P90X, although I have no idea how much that costs, nor what it involves - but I can say that I saw the results. Impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: Under $100 exercise gear for home [Bellytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am huge fan of p90x. I bought it for $40 on craigslist (retail price is $129) and its typically on craigslist for $40-60. So if you can find it from $40-60, that still leaves you with $40-60 to purchase bands and/or weights. For the strength workouts you will need either bands or weights and just yourself for the cardio workouts. There is a ton of variety in the dvds and after a couple of weeks, you will find Tony amusing (he annoyed me the first couple of weeks). There is no hoax or gimmicks, it is just a structured way to do the exercises you know work - pull ups, pushups, lunges, squats, etc. I use the dvds because I would never do it on my own. Having the structure and someone telling me what to do and when, makes me do it.

I have never done the full program but do the 3 strength dvds as outlined in the program mixed in with my own s/b/r workouts and have seen good results. I have thrown in a couple of the cardio dvds when I just couldn't be motivated to get to the pool or get dressed to run/bike outside in the cold. The plyo is no joke. I definitely have noticeable difference in my arms and back and am starting to see definition in my abs.
Quote Reply
Re: Under $100 exercise gear for home [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another option - which is free - is crossfit. I know they have workouts of the day (WOD) and those that follow claim it's intense and a real time saver. Might be worth a look. (And again - it's free - so as long as you're comfortable with assessing your own form this might be worth a shot.) Having someone tell you what your workout for that day is might also be a motivator... especially when the workout is 20 minutes, which seems to be the norm over there. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ankle weights, resistance bands and a cheap dumbell set are always good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
set of dumbells (10 thru 25 LBS). You can hit every muscle group with a set of dumbells
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I snagged P90x (CDs, resistance bands & online info) at a Holiday Party in a White Elephant. SCORE! Guy just didn't have time for it anymore & figured one of his friends could use it. As one of the new "friends" (actually a girlfriend) I actually stole it from someone! (She was slightly aghast at it anyway, clearly not an athlete...I had it nearly purchased a couple of weeks prior!) It's sat on my end table since...I'm just slightly intimidated by making myself hurt...and I know it's going to hurt! It's going to be a matter of working it into the SBR, but I'm hoping it'll maybe keep my attention a bit more than the weights at a gym.

That is, if I get the nerve to start the dang thing.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Under $100 exercise gear for home [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great score at the White Elephant. Try it!! I can't deny that you will hurt. I took a 2-3 week break around the holidays due to a busy schedule and when I did back and legs for the first time last Tuesday, my glutes hurt until Friday. And on Wed/Thurs you would thought I was 80 by the way I was walking. I stuck with it and kept hitting play (you will get sick of hearing that) and I repeated back/legs this tuesday and only had moderate soreness. I believe the added strength training is helping me with my s/b/r. I am hitting times in that I haven't hit in 2 years (when I was swimming 3 days a week) on 1 day a week swim training and my bike power number keep increasing. And even if its not the p90x that is leading to these gains, I feel stronger and look better so I'll keep bringing it.

Give it a shot and keep posted on your progress. I'd love to hear what you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to love jumping rope. Just go for as long as you would run. Add in all the fancy foot work (helps if you do this while listening to the Rocky soundtrack!).

Some cables, a ball, a couple of weights and you can put together a pretty good strength workout.

Hope the baby weight comes off quickly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome ideas everyone - THANKS!!! Now to decide what to get before the $100 burns a hole in my wallet and ends up as babysitting cash and dinner out with the hubby!! ha ha

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hit. By. Truck. That about sums up how I feel. Saturday morning was futzing around & did 1/2 the Arms/Chest (knew I was going to hurt plenty bad after going through it just once, didn't need the second set) & did probably half of the legs/back as well. Nothing too intense, just muscles I CLEARLY don't use for everyday life or the dabbling in swimming I've been doing (since I can't really call it a full-on effort as of late). Life is HIGHLY entertaining yesterday & today. I did a great job of holding up the couch for most of yesterday, outside of a swim practice that was also entertaining, to say the least. When it's a battle of wills between my muscles & I....the result is some wonky swim form, for sure.

Since I don't yet have the fitness plan, I'm just kind of winging it for now (waiting on that via email)...I think that might help offer some structure. I know that this evening will involve some intense carpet shampooing & housework, so not sure if I'll get back to it today or not. If it's any indication though, I already know results are easy to obtain with this program.

Since you've been working it in around the other workouts & real life, how often & what schedule have you been utilizing?

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Under $100 exercise gear for home [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can easily find the schedule on-line (http://www.p90xworkoutschedule.com/). But in summary Phase I (the first 3 weeks is as follows):
Day 1:chest and back plus ab ripper X (abX)
Day 2: plyo
Day 3: shoulders and arms plus abX
Day 4: yogaX
Day 5: legs and back plus abX
Day 6: kenpoX
Day 7: rest or X stretch

Following 3 weeks of this you get a rest recovery week and then start Phase II.

My typical week looks like this:
Monday - Rest or X stretch
Tuesday: am-legs and back plus abs; pm: easy run (I coach a beginner running program)
Wednesday: am- masters swim, pm- winter track workout
Thursday: bike (CT class)
Friday: one of the arm dvds (since I am repeating Phase I it has been either chest/back or shoulders and arm) plus abs

And then Saturday and Sunday vary from week to week. I am training for a half marathon in Feb and still doing some mountain biking. My weekends usually have a longish run with race pace miles and a easier run or bike. I try to get in the third dvd (whatever arm I didn't do on Friday) on either Saturday or Sunday depending on my schedule but I usually try for Sunday since it makes the most sense with recovery and whatnot. If I do the dvd on Saturday, I won't do the abs. And if I miss the third dvd, I don't stress to much and then just switch up my Friday workout the next week.

I did get almost 90 days in of doing the 3 dvds a week in between Oct-Dec but now that my run volume is building its getting a bit harder. I have spent the last 3 years building run volume for ultras and now that I am focusing on speed, the runs take a lot more out of me. Running 6-8 miles at my goal race pace is way harder on my body than just running for 3-4 hours in the woods.

And don't worry, we all feel sore and achy. It does get easier. I repeated back and legs this week and was only slightly sore for 1.5 days compared to the 4-5 of so sore I couldn't barely move the week before.
Quote Reply