Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trying to get motivated
Quote | Reply
A couple years ago (yikes!) I started training for sprint tri's and found it derailed when I was basically t-boned by a car that decided to try and pass me on the left after I'd signaled and started to turn left!

Anyways, of the three disciplines swimming was my least favorite simply because I feel like a blob in the pool. I had gastric bypass 3.5 years ago and have some excess skin that is unflattering at best when clothed - god forbid in a bathing suit. So I guess I'm trying to find motivation to get back to training. I fell in love with tri's and training, I just loathe the thought of putting on a bathing suit and going to the pool.

Help! Any advice, motivation, etc. would be so appreciated.

- Kelly
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to get motivated [zen4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I fell in love with tri's and training

The best piece of advice I can give you (and this goes with all things in life) is NEVER EVER let anything rob you of what you love. Life is too short and it's not worth it. Fight your feelings of inadeqacy (push negative thoughts out of your head each time they show up so they don't find a home there), put a suit on and get your butt in the pool.

....not a touchy feel-ee response....but hopefully it motivates you and makes you think.

best of luck

Quote | Reply
Just do it. You will see so many people, fit and not fit alike, in bathing suits in the pool.

I was a personal trainer for a number of years, and the same advice appiles to finding a pool as finding a gym- find one that suits you. Maybe find one that isn't so crowded, or just one that has the right 'feel' to it. If there are several pools in your area, try a bunch out before settling on one.

The pool I go to is at the university (because I'm a poor student and it's free) and you know, we have all types there. No one is staring, it's not a meat market. Once you're in the water, no-one can see you anyways. :)

There are many, many excuses you can make, but you're just kidding yourself. Do it, you won;t regret it.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I have just finished my first tri- IMC '09!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Anyways, of the three disciplines swimming was my least favorite simply because I feel like a blob in the pool.

Help! Any advice, motivation, etc. would be so appreciated.

- Kelly
Kelly, most of the people, let alone the women, feel the same as you. Know that you are not alone in these thoughts.

If you are in a major metropolitan area, go to a local swim shop, preferably one that caters to competitive swimmers as well as cruise wear, and buy that suit!

Swim parkas help as a coverup-if it's good enough for Michael Phelps, then it's good enough for me. Be comfortable walking to and from the pool.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think about the "why" of what I'm doing. What is the big goal? For me that has changed based on what I'm training for. When I signed on the dotted line for my first Ironman I got a sticker that says "Got Ironman?" and put it on my bathroom mirror. When I didn't feel like doing a workout or was tired, I looked at that to remind me of the big picture. Whatever I was feeling that day wasn't important, the big goal was and that is why I was getting out the door.

When you are standing in the locker room, wrapped in your towel and thinking about going into the pool area and thinking everyone is looking at you, remind yourself why you are there. You are in training for a triathlon. This is one step you need to do to get ready. That is bigger than how you look in a bathing suit.

I also remind myself that people really aren't looking at me. If my socks don't match, I'm the only one who will know. If I'm having a bad hair day, no one cares. If I look bad in a bathing suit, no one cares except me. And, if they do care, is their opinion REALLY that important? More important the the triathlon you're training for? I doubt it is.

Big picture = the race. Don't let the little fights stop you from winning the battle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suck it up, princess.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Kelly,
When I first started swimming, I felt a lot more comfortable in a suit with more coverage.
I had something a lot like this:
http://www.speedousa.com/...8420.3131442.3131630

Except mine was not so fancy but the same general style ...

I was never particularly fat or anything but I was just happier being more covered up. Certainly something that has changed - these days, I could care less.

One of the wonderful things about training and seeing all the amazing things that your body can do for you is that you become much more comfortable with yourself and less worried about what people might think. None of us have perfect bodies but you don't need a perfect body to go fast and have a lot of fun in the process!
Quote Reply
Re: Trying to get motivated [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Suck it up, princess.

LOL...that is the kind of motivation I'm used to hearing though I don't think anyone has ever referred to me as "princess".

Now, thank you everyone for taking time out to reply and offer encouragement. You are right that everyone else is absorbed in their own worries and likely not paying attention to me. I do know its in my head more than an actual reality.

Thank you all again.

- Kelly
Quote Reply