Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Try Something New
Quote | Reply
Everyone can add to this.

My try something new is actually a go back to high school time (so that's been a LONG time so like new). I signed up for a swim meet. The Tennessee Senior Olympics are in June here so I signed up for one of the bike races and some swim races. The swim will be at the pool I'm swimming at.

Today at the end of our workout, we did a timed 200 LCM. I have a lot of work to do by late June!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool!

Since we're now living in a mt biking mecca (Bend OR) I'm going to try and become a mountain biker. And possibly a rock climber.

I've already changed my wine drinking ways to accommodate the fabulous beer here and damn, it's SO good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim meets are great - I only started doing them in the last 12 months and they're so much fun. I particularly like the relays - people everywhere in all sorts of shapes, sizes and ages. Fabulous!

I did summer biathlon for the first time yesterday. The kid came along too and proved to be not a bad shot for a sweet young thing. Definitely going back to do that again!
Last edited by: blackthugcat: Mar 31, 14 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to a women's mountain biking group ride last week and it was a blast! They only meet every two weeks and I can't wait to go again.
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
I went to a women's mountain biking group ride last week and it was a blast! They only meet every two weeks and I can't wait to go again.

I fell in love with mountain biking competing in Xterra off-road races. I prefer it to riding on the road! So much fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is embarrassing to admit, but I'm going to train daily, instead of working so much. I can honestly admit that I've put my job in front of my passion for too long.

My new thing is to swim with Mark Montgomery's old team, Nova Masters in Irvine, CA. I have a feeling that I will be eaten alive, but maybe there will be someone older and slower than me :-/

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Apr 22, 14 22:53
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
This is embarrassing to admit, but I'm going to train daily, instead of working so much. I can honestly admit that I've put my job in front of my passion for too long.
:-/

Good for you. I'm still in the having to work too much and last evening the HR gal told me that the overall HR head declined to approve the new position for someone to help me. So last night over drinks with my co-worker who is here from NY, she said put my head down, don't complain about the work load, pump as much overtime as I can and see if that causes them to change their mind. So I'll fit training in when I can, make a shitload of money, pay some stuff off, sock some into savings, finish doing stuff around my house that I want done (like a workout room) and buy a new computer. What is it they say, make lemonade out of lemons?

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a massive, high visibility, tight timeline project put on my shoulders. That means any dreams of summer vacation have once again been put on hold. I seriously want to cry I need a break so badly. Even a long weekend is likely out of the question.

I'm going to pick a class at the gym and try it. I have two gyms to pick from so I should find something that works. I'm not doing Zumba or anything that involves dancing. I am not coordinated and I'd like to keep my ego intact thankyouverymuch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just signed up for my first trail run!

Surf Coast half marathon which is on a very pretty bit of Victoria's South West coast, so should be very scenic if I'm not tripping over.

It's also a couple of days before my significant birthday, so it's a bit of a birthday treat:-)

Plus another round of summer biathlon is coming up in a few weeks - I'm enjoying this new stuff!!
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am due for a new thing and like your idea re: gym class. My list so far:
- gym (step) class
- indoor climbing
- tap
- yoga

I did try something new* a few weeks ago (*hadn't done since high school): painting! the pic is in my hall now ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the tap class. DO IT! I was a competitive dancer in my youth (5-17) and tap is seriously some of the most fun you can have with shoes on. I still have my old tap shoes and throw them on from time to time just for giggles, or just throw down in regular shoes.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I'd say, think FAR outside the box!

A few years ago, Groupon etc. were great sources for Try-Something-New activities. I try to do something new often. Some of the things I've done:
  • Circus school tumbling and acrobatics class
  • Flying trapeze class
  • S factor pole dancing class
  • Vinyasa yoga
  • Surfing
  • Stand-up paddling
  • Chocolate class at the Ritz Carlton
  • Pie-crust making class

A few I still want to try:
  • PureBarre fitness
  • SUP yoga
  • Tango class
  • Hydrobikes
  • Cupcake tour of Hollywood (also dumpling tour, chocolate tour, etc.)
  • Hang gliding class
  • Sailing lessons

Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
I'd say, think FAR outside the box!

A few years ago, Groupon etc. were great sources for Try-Something-New activities. I try to do something new often. Some of the things I've done:
  • Circus school tumbling and acrobatics class
  • Flying trapeze class
  • S factor pole dancing class
  • Vinyasa yoga
  • Surfing
  • Stand-up paddling
  • Chocolate class at the Ritz Carlton
  • Pie-crust making class
A few I still want to try:
  • PureBarre fitness
  • SUP yoga
  • Tango class
  • Hydrobikes
  • Cupcake tour of Hollywood (also dumpling tour, chocolate tour, etc.)
  • Hang gliding class
  • Sailing lessons

Good list!! I like the mix of activity and food.

And paragliding. I want to do paragliding before I die.

I took my kid off to do a pig day a couple of weeks ago - start with a cleaned rare breed pig carcase and learn what to do with it. Prosciutto, salami, pancetta, cotechino, head cheese, sausages etc. Had a great time :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up in a Zumba class the night before. The instructor and the ladies were all great, and boy can they shake it! I wasn't very comfortable, and felt very stiff and out of sorts, but I'm glad I did it. Now I can say that I've tried it and it's not for me. I can tell it can be a great workout if you get the hang of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went shopping with a personal shopper yesterday. My sister & I scored the package from a silent auction. In the "it's a small world" category - I grew up/went to school with her! It was a lot of fun & I scored some great deals on some great clothes. I had to stop trying on pants (6 weeks of injury related inactivity), but got some dressier tops/skirts & a kick ass pair of heels.

Went to a high end consignment store I didn't even know existed & the time flew by. Even better, my sister recently lost a lot of weight & actually had fun shopping!!

It was a really great day & a much needed infusion of fun/different/pampering.
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love all the cool "new things" ladies!

I signed up for yoga class - it's once a week at work at lunch - and dirt cheap. Worth a try. First one is next Fri.

We also signed up for a local farmer's "beasty box" - once a week for 8 weeks we get fresh organic local meat and fish - first pick up is tonight and we get smoked ham, chili con carne (yes - prepared and ready for the freezer if need be), beef steaks, and 1/2 of bacon :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I paid for my summer CSA. 26 weeks of veggies and fruits, delivered to work. It starts in a week!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just registered for some Barre 3 classes. My friend swears by it and I'm excited to give it a try!
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bestie and I used a Nordstrom personal shopper last fall. That is the way to go! It's a free service and they do all the running around the store for you. We both ended up with some great stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do bar method. My first class made me want to puke and I did ballet for 14 years.

Remember to breathe and enjoy the burn! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh no! I signed up for classes this coming Monday and Tuesday.... I have no ego though, so if it gets super hard, I'll rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went for my first real trail run today in my new Altras with the kid on her mountain bike. Loved it! (Loved the shoes too)

Wildlife count of 4 wallabies, one horse, numerous noisy birds and a few paddling ones.

One large storm cloud didn't manage to spoil the fun - can't believe I've been running for footpaths for so long and haven't strayed off before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally worked up the nerve to go to one of the local masters groups (thanks in large part to LilPups). It was a good workout and everyone was nice to me, so I'm going to try to keep going. Lord knows, my swimming could use the boost.

Now I just need to get those flip turns going. (Gulp!)

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I can flip turn, you can flip turn. Have LP give you a private lesson when the pool is slow then practice.

You can do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flipt turns are an acquired skill but you can do it! Start with just trying somersaults not near the wall. I often have people do forward and backward somersaults (I have always found backward easier). When you get ready to do them near the wall, look for the black T on the bottom of the pool and the lowercase t on the side. You should start your flip as your head moves over the t on the bottom, and you should not see anything above the middle of the t on the side (if you see the top, your head is way too high and it will make the whole thing harder).

You know how it's amazing to watch gymnasts on the uneven bars? Flip turns are a trick like that, I think :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next