Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Training and Ammenorhea
Quote | Reply
I haven't had a regular period in awhile and am wondering how common that is in endurance sports and if it's related more to diet and body comp or training volume. If you want to chime in, let me know whether or not you are having a regular cycle, what your average training week looks like (hrs per week) and anything else you think might be helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Ammenorhea [Msn33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained with a few women athletes who had this issue. I think it's common. I never had the problem. I found exercise helped me.

Checkout this thread on ST: "Training-induced amenorrhea" (Use the search tool on the right of this site)
Quote Reply
Re: Training and Ammenorhea [Msn33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diet and body comp. Findings from research indicate that amenorrhea is caused by a caloric deficit and/or too low body fat, not high training volume. There are plenty of female athletes doing very heavy training that get their periods every month.

I am not suggesting you have an eating disorder, but "The Female Athletes' Survival Guide" has an EXCELLENT chapter on amenhorrea

This is not something to dismiss, as lack of periods means lack of estrogen ---> weakened bones which can lead to osteoporosis and stress fractures.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply