Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my 1st Tri and am trying to figure out the clothing. Done 1/2 marathons for years and the clothing is easy compared to prepping for a tri. I'm 5"4', 143 lbs (curvy). Last night for the 1st time, I wore my tri shorts & top and did great in the swim, but during the run, the top just kept bunching up around my waist.....arrgghhh! I'm contemplating a 1-piece, but everyone says going to the bathroom in the porta potties can be a pain in the butt. Why don't they put that sticky kind of stuff on the tops that they do in the legs of biking shorts? Any brilliant solutions out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [BrendaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the length of the triathlon you're training for? If it's short (sprint or olympic), a one piece should be fine. Unless something goes quite wrong, you should be able to do a sprint or olympic without having to stop at a porto pottie. And if you only have to pee, you can simply scrunch up the legs out of the way and pee without removing your one piece.

If it's half IM or longer, you might need to shop for a new top that's long enough to tuck into your tri shorts. Or maybe someone has a different idea?

Good luck.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a different top or a sport bra and top that works. I have a difficult time findng tri tops that fit always and the way I like so I wesr a bra and top. I

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I was wondering if I could just yank up the leg and go to the bathroom in a one-piece. I have one but still have the tags on it in case I decide I want to return it. In a perfect world, it would be great to order the "just right" clothing the first time around, but that never seems to happen. I'm doing a sprint, so I'm not that concerned about the bathroom situation, but I already know I'll be signing up for a longer one! LOVE this tri business!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say try a different top. I found some ride up on me (I'm very narrow at the waist) and others don't. Some advertise a flare outwards at the hips to help with this - I'd look for that.

One race in a top I bought once was bad - I ended up tucking the top into my tri shorts. NOT a good look! But it kept the top from riding up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the other comments - try another top. I've found that the snug-fitting zippered spandexy tops are more likely to creep up, where a shimmel (racer back, no zipper, like a running singlet with pockets, sometimes a useless built-in bra, made of a fabric more akin to a bike jersey) is less likely to bunch up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your race, are you wearing a wetsuit? If not, do you actually like swimming in a tri-top? Ugh, the drag feels horrible to me, but if it doesn't bother you. I would wear a two piece swim top only, and then put a running tank on in transition if it were me.

Or the one piece idea. I have done up to 1/2 in a one piece and I loved it. So uncomplicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the top for other reasons (and I am guessing you don't just want to go with a shortie top :) ), then consider sewing snaps or hooks/eyes to hold the top to your preferred bottoms -- cheap fix, and easy to undo if you need to pull down your shorts. They come in plastic so won't rust. Avoid velcro, which could chafe if it's not aligned properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you figure out the answer that works, lemmeno. I haven't figured out the solution for a top that doesn't eventually scrunch or ride. That is, if it's tight enough to not flap or gap while I swim. And I haven't found the magical easy solution for quickly shimmying something on over wet skin & swimmer's shoulders in T1.

My only trick is to tuck in the ends just a bit in my tri shorts, or use my race belt to try to keep them down. And/or just go harder so I get past caring/knowing what I look like.

Of course, my case would be much easier if I just worked harder to lose the extra baggage so I didn't have anything/enough to ride up over....but that's fantasy land!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good suggestions! I especially like yours Aware.....if I had nothing for the top to come up over, maybe I wouldn't be writing this post!!! Like you said, you want the top to be snug enough in the water so it's not flapping, yet not so snug that it creeps up over my womanly curves. I ordered 3 different one-piece trisuits and just got the final one. It's great trying them on in the comfort of your home. But it's a pain to pay shipping for 2 of them to go back. Whoever mentioned being able to yank the short up for the porta potty.....thank you!! I tried that with all 3 and one worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think of that since I do it all the time with my shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the same problem. For shorter races I always use the one piece but for the longer stuff I found a great two piece kit from SOAS (http://www.soasracing.com)

They are a little expensive but look pretty and the fit is exactly what I was looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [shorty3bb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Shorty3bb! Checked out the website and wanted to ask if they run true to size? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of the SOAS kits. I wasn't sure on the size so I ordered the two I was wavering in between and sent back the one that didn't fit. I don't have any issues with their top riding up on the run. I haven't worn the top with a non-wetsuit swim though. For races like that I usually end up with the sports bra and tri shorts look.

Sometimes, even when you are lean, you still have a narrow waist with wide hips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, pretty true to size with other race clothing. You should check out the "find us here" section of their website to see if there are any local retail shops that carry their clothing if you want to try them on prior to purchasing (that's what I did).
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto - to me it's VERY brand-dependent. My first tri-top had the same problem, but my last few are better. My Pearl Izumi one was awful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use two safety pins on the waist to secure the top down. I find it works best if they are a little in front of the seam line of my shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure, I represent Zoot Sports. And I have worked in the Tri Apparel business for over a decade, i have seen and worn a lot of different styles.

we women have curves, and so should your tri top. a zoot tri top (we make 4 or more styles per season) 'breaks' at the rib cage, meaning it gets wider as it gets longer. this really helps prevent the top from riding up.

you can also look for tops that are made of fabrics with a bit of mesh blended in, the mesh has a more forgiving drape and won't bunch up as much as a nylon lycra or polyester top. (someone suggested run singlets, a perfect example, but there are also tri specific tops that do this too).

a one piece racesuit is another option, nothing to ride up here. a zoot racesuit has an internal bra with a zipper allowing for a quick an' easy port-a-potty stop. and even for shorter course athletes, the internal bra zipper makes getting it on a breeze, no Houdini act required.

castelli has added eyelets, like on a bra strap, to attach the tops to their shorts, easy to clip or unclip for any point in the day, that falls into "brilliant" but the italian race cut and a lot of white fabric might not.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [tribub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the great info. Tribub - thanks for the full disclosure and interestingly enough it was my new Zoot Sports Performance Tri Team Racerback Top that immediately went up to my waist when running (did great in the swim) and made me want to post asking for help. I have since gotten a trisuit and that has helped a LOT, but I am concerned about the bathroom issue and doing it in a dark porta potty. I wish I could try all these brands on, but we just don't have that many places that carry this speciality item. I did go to the local Trek store and try on the Castelli 2 piece you were talking about. The woman said that guy tri 2-pieces commonly have the eyelets, but it's unusual for women's. WHY?? The Castelli was brilliant, but it was white in the entire chest area with the darker colors elsewhere. Obviously a guy picked out these colors because no woman in her right mind would have picked white for this area. I'll keep searching to the holy grail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, you got us on that one. the tri "team" top comes out of our custom sublimated factory and has a slightly different fit and fabric than the rest of our inline tops.
Quote Reply
Re: Tips to keep tri tops from sliding up [tribub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribub - thanks for letting me know that otherwise I would likely not try another Zoot top again. The info you gave me will help me zero in on the type of Zoot top I should try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race everything in a one piece. Even ironman.
Try to avoid the one pieces with a built in bra and look for ones with a zipper down the back or front. So if you need to pop into a porta pottie you can without too many problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recommend the SOAS Tri Suits (two piece): http://www.soasracing.com/. The suits are made by women and fit well. I'm on the small side (33"/27"/35") but this suit top really does fit well and flairs at the hips so it does not ride up, the size chart is accurate as well. I've seen it on larger girls as well and it flatters all sizes. I have one suit now and just bought another last week. They are a little short on some of the popular sizes but should be getting another batch finished later this month (per their Facebook page).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this problem with certain shirts not not others. Tops that aren't as spandex-y tend not to ride up. Try some different kinds.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply