Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Symptoms of stress fracture
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd get some feedback from the Womens. I have been having some localized pain on the inner side of my shin on my left leg - about halfway up. It has been happening since the beginning of February, so about 8 weeks or so. I took about 7 weeks off running to see if it would heal in case it was a stress fracture. It doesn't seem to have healed. I have been slowly trying to run again - frequent short runs. I don't feel much pain when running - it doesn't get better or worse during the course of a run. However, when I get home, all of my lower leg muscles feel really tight. I ice and take NSAID right after runs, and generally there isn't any swelling, etc. This is leading me to believe that it is more of a tendon/muscle issue vs. a stress fracture, but I have no idea what symptoms I would be looking for if it was indeed a stress fracture.

I went to my family doctor and told him what I was feeling, but he wouldn't give me an xray or bone scan because "bone scans are for old women." I'm just 31. But still, I am at-risk for osteoporosis based on some things in my medical history. And I run long-distance, etc. I have a physiotherapist who was doing some short-wave ultrasound, and he tried to check through an ultrasound wand whether I had a stress fx or not - don't know if that is effective or not. Also, my sport medicine therapist did a tuning fork test to check for a fx (I guess if it was a stress fx, the vibrations were supposed to really hurt).

Anyway, I am stumped. Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Symptoms of stress fracture [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First thing is find another doc. Bone scans (to rule out a fx) aren't for "old women." Sounds like he was confused and thinking you wanted a DEXA scan (bone density and is more commonly for older women).

Stress fracture - you will feel "point tenderness." IE if you push on a certain point on the bone it will REALLY hurt. You wouldn't be able to jump up and down on the leg comfortably as it progresses.

Anyway, find another doc. They'll take x rays first; at this point something might show. My guess - NOT a doc - is you have shin splints, or Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome. In MTSS, tight calves/lower leg muscles cause the bone to absorb more stress. Start stretching your calves a lot - foam roll, "the stick" would be good. After exercise, ice your shins. Dixie cups, filled with water and frozen, work well for this because you can peel the cup back as the ice melts and give yourself an ice massage.

Tuning fork test is not bad; I've heard of using diagnostic ultrasound for tendon stuff but not bone (doesn't mean it CAN'T be used for bone) but in that case your physio had a computer display of what your leg looked like, right? A plain old therapeutic ultrasound won't do it.

You should also look at: how old are your shoes? What surfaces are you running on? (softer = better)

summary
-ask physio about shin splints
-find a new doc if you want x rays/bone scan (which seems logical at this point)

I'm really sorry and hope you don't have a fracture. It would be great if some stretching/massage would resolve it :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely get a second opinion! There are a variety of sports medicine doctors out there who are much more attuned to runner's injuries. Having suffered multiple stress fractures I can tell you that 8 weeks is typically not sufficient for full healing but the 7 weeks you did take off from running may have indeed helped the healing process to the point that you can run on it now. However, as you said, it may not be bone-related at all. Best of luck to you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get another opinion, I have learned that you need to be your own advocate when it comes to health care.

Btw, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at age 30, after I insisted on a dexa scan. Not saying that it is a bone issue for you, just saying anything is possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Symptoms of stress fracture [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice, ladies!

I have been doing stuff in physio to treat shin splints, but have that nagging worry in the back of my mind that it's something else. If nothing else, my physio said that he'd order an xray if my doctor refuses to - which would be a good first step.... Anyway, a second opinion is probably needed for my own peace of mind. :)

My shoes are still in good shape, and at the time I started getting symptoms I was mainly running on an indoor track - however I think I might have increased my training too quickly due to some unseasonally pleasant weather in February. Anyway, I guess I'll be turning into Proactive Woman and look around for a second opinion and tests that can rule out the stress fx differential.
Quote Reply
Re: Symptoms of stress fracture [Tri_Dietitian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Having suffered multiple stress fractures I can tell you that 8 weeks is typically not sufficient for full healing

I've had a different experience and I think literature supports that most stress fractures will heal in 6-8 weeks, particularly in the more commonly fractured metatarsals or tibias. Hip (pubic symphysis, femoral neck) stress fractures do take a matter of months, not weeks.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Symptoms of stress fracture [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine have all been in the hip area :) Superior and inferior pubic rami and femoral neck...eek!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good news that you don't feel the pain while running! I had two femoral stress fractures while playing college volleyball and each step was excruciating - very localized.. My coach made me play through it and I almost fainted on occasion from the pain. Hopefully you can get the xray or scan and rule out any stress fractures!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no medical expert, but this sounds like shin splints. I had a similar problem last year and I was surprised to find out that shin splints often occur along the inside of the leg, not always the outside. I also had pinpoint specificity about midway up my leg, making me think possible stress fracture, but it was just shin splints.

I'd recommend doing some research on shin splints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't say anything about cycling, I had to give that up for the last 2 weeks of my 6 weeks off for a fibula stress. The ortho explained that the calf in the area of the stress experiences some inflammation as the bone heals. Needless to say, riding puts some pressure on the calves. I'd imagine this would apply to shin splits as well. Once I stopped riding, mine came along quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely second finding another doctor...hopefully a sport medicine one, or maybe one that exercises himself/herself- they seem to be more understanding! Also what I have found with stress fractures if that the pain is so bad you are truly unable to run or have any impact...so perhaps its just shin splints. Look for some stretching exercises on that and maybe check your wear of your shoes.
Good luck!!!!!

"What will you wear on your next race day"
Quote Reply