Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sitter for Swimming
Quote | Reply
We are thinking about getting a friend's daughter to babysit for us one night a week so we can go to masters swim practice since this is something we miss being able to do together. I haven't babysat in YEARS and we've only had our little guy for 5 weeks so we haven't been in the market. What is the going rate for sitters these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Sitter for Swimming [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it really depends on the age of the sitter. I've noticed around here that it's around minimum wage (which is $8/hr here).

Quote | Reply
Hey - I pay $10/hr, but my friend with a newborn pays $15.

While he's so young, it might be nice to get someone who wouldn't mind sitting at the pool.. then if he needs you, you're right there, instead of wondering if he could be starving or something, you know? There's a mom at our pool who does it that way :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$10/hour is pretty common around here as well (Toronto), but the price goes up for additional children. Many babysitters will have an established rate if they've gone to a babysitting course since that's one thing that the course teaches them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
!0/hr is common for a teenager but if you want a grown up you might have to pay much more. I live in Long Island and I've heard of $20/hr if you want a grownup for a newborn. I think the idea of bringing a teenager to the pool is a good one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending upon where you live, $8, $10, $15 is realistic. I got the best babysitter of my life through the University job placement office. She was a hard working student and we have kept in touch for 14 years. She would come Monday Wed, Fri afternoons to watch baby Max. He was an infant sleeping the whole time. She could study while she was watching him sleep. It was a complete win/win for both of us. She was there enough to be very comfortable with him when he started being awake with her. She was affordable and reliable.

Taking the sitter and baby to the pool will probably work okay, but having the baby at home with the sitter has to start sometime and it's so easy when he's this young. It's nice to use the daughter of a friend. In case she has a problem, she can always call her mom for backup reassurance. Enjoy your baby and enjoy your swim. That time period in my life is such a happy memory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter gets 10-12 dollars an hour in Atlanta. She is 13. I know friends who pay sitters that drive 15-20/hour. I think it's a great idea for you and your husband to get out and swim together once a week. Zach is cute!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the market here outside Chicago is about $15 an hour for an 18 year old that drives. Man, life is changing fast. A year ago I never would have thought I'd ever be worried about hiring a babysitter.
Last edited by: snotrocket: Oct 28, 08 10:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not put him poolside for free? The other day when picking up my 12yo from his practice, I saw our old masters coach getting ready to coach the next team of AGers. I spoke with her and she raved about Luke and how she loves to tell everyone that she remembers him as a 4wk old in his seat at the end of our lane.

Something must've rubbed off b/c last week at his Halloween Howl meet, he busted out a :27/:57/2:03 combo in the 50/100/200 SCY free, winning all 3 events along with the 50 & 100 fly. (he gets it all from his mom)

I say start early - take him to the pool with you.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi -- congrats on your little one.

All of the responses here are good. I see that nobody has mentioned this one yet. Finding someone to sit him at the pool who is already there. (I know we have already discussed having the sitter come to the pool). I am suggesting starting your search for a sitter AT the pool.

At my pool, Masters and AG-ers swim around the same time, so it is conceivable that you could find an AG swimmer who is on there way to practice or just finished, who would do the hour right there and then. That way you woudn't be paying a sitter for travel time to the pool or for minimums (where I live, most sitters have a 4h minimum).

Also, a lifeguard who is finishing their shift might want to pick up some extra cash. Just a few more ideas while we're brainstorming :-)

Happy laps ---
Quote Reply