Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly!
Quote | Reply
Oops - I meant to post this on the womens, not the main forum! My first slowtwitch race report:

The Silverman full distance triathlon is thrown about as one of the toughest races in the world. This past Sunday, no less than Chris McCormack and Dave Scott agreed with that sentiment. The conditions turned an incredibly difficult course into an epic struggle just to finish.

We escaped from the cold front in Chicago on Friday and landed to sunny, 70* in Las Vegas. In fact, every day except Sunday was perfect. We knew starting about mid-week that race day was going to be challenging. They were calling for 10+ mph winds and cooler temperatures. Friday night at the pasta party Dave Scott warned us about the conditions and seemed pretty happy not to be toeing the line. When Sunday rolled around the morning temperatures were in the high 40s and the wind was starting to pick up.

My partner drove me down to T1 at Lake Mead Sunday around 4:30am. I’d set up my bike and turned in my gear bags the day before so I just checked things out, stretched and tried to relax. I was in the first row right in front of the Operation Rebound relayers. They weren’t there since they were starting a couple hours after us, but it was still inspirational to see their special bikes and handcycles there. I kept reminding myself to “suck it up buttercup…these guys are doing the race with one arm or one leg.” Helps to keep things in perspective sometimes.

The Swim
I got to the swim start and things looked choppy but not too bad. They played the national anthem and I got all choked up. When the horn sounded about 200 of us started what was to become the most grueling swim I’ve ever done. 22 years of triathlon and I’ve swum in oceans, lakes, rivers, in TT starts, wave starts and 2400+ mass starts. I’ve never experienced anything like this. On the way out, the current was pretty much with us. I was blown off course a little but started sighting every few strokes and was able to stay with the buoys. When we made the turn against the current I started to get sick and stopped to throw up. I still felt pretty good so I kept going. At the final turn into shore, the wind was really picking up. The waves were white caps and I could hear people yelling and see kayaks all over the place trying to help people. A woman near me started waving her hand and I went over to her and had her hold on to me while I worked the cramp out of her foot. I kept trying to do freestyle but I drank so much water I had to stop to throw up again. Finally, I tried doing breaststroke and swimming under the waves. That seemed to help, but I wasn’t getting anywhere. I resumed freestyle and after a few more strokes my arms were really tired. I had this strange moment when I wondered if I would make it to shore. My arms felt like lead and I kicked and pulled as hard as I could to finish. Plenty of people were braving the wind to cheer us in as I dizzily made my way to transition. What I didn’t realize is that the wind picked up significantly about 50 minutes into the swim – kicked up a dust storm and blew over the timing clock. My partner was standing next to a group of Germans waiting to do the half which was postponed an hour because the kayakers couldn’t hold their positions. They kept looking out at the lake and muttering “scheisse.” I'd hoped to finish around 1:12, but ended up doing it in 1:37.

The Bike
It took me a few minutes before I didn’t feel too dizzy in T1. I slowly got dressed, got on my bike and headed up the boat ramp for the bike course. Within a few miles the rain opened up and I started to get chilled. A few miles later as I made a turn my legs were stinging from the precipitation. It was hailing! Between that and the cross winds, I was white knuckling it on the bull horns and wishing I’d brought the road bike instead! I saw my partner and smiled that smile that says “this really sucks, isn’t it great?!” I had a note on my bike reminding me to go slow and stay within my heart rate. Despite the massive climbs, I managed to do that and was very proud of myself for being steady and not going like a bat out of hell. At mile 42, I got a flat in the front. I managed to change it pretty quickly, but was worried about getting another flat in the same spot because a small piece of glass had penetrated the tire. I decided to go ahead and stop at the special needs and grab my spare CO2s and tubes just in case. Things were more down than up on the way back, but the head wind picked up. I heard later that winds gusted up to 40mph and it certainly felt like it.

I’m an above average bicyclist so it never occurred to me to worry about the cutoff times, but when I saw my partner at mile 90 she said I only had a few minutes to make the first cutoff at the tunnel (mile 92). I started hammering and happily made it through the tunnel cutoff to the bike path into town. This is where the famous three sisters are: three 18% grade hills, short and vicious just when you are exhausted. I made it up each of them and was very happy to have a compact crank! As I went by the aid station at mile 100 I asked how long until the final bike cutoff – less than 45 minutes! Panicked, I started hammering as fast as I could. My lungs were bursting and I was gasping for breath as I did the TT of my life. Luckily it was mostly downhill for the last 12 miles and I made it with 7 minutes to spare. My friends from Chicago were volunteering at T2. They caught me and took my bike away (I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to bike again). Frank Lowery was there too and I thanked him for the last few downhills that allowed me to make the bike cutoff.

The Run
I changed into my run gear which took a while since the generator was out and the tents were dark by then. Finally, I got to the run and my partner joined me. I tried running but the last 12 miles of hammering on the bike were catching up to me and I felt sick. I took a couple tums and stretched and was able to continue. For the first loop, I mostly shuffled through (can’t really call it running) at 11-12 minute pace, stopping to drink Gatorade or broth every mile. It’s such a small race and I was so late that it was quite lonely out there. I really enjoyed the solitude at first. By the time I got to the finish to start the second loop I wasn’t digging the solitude so much. I got really depressed that I still had 13 miles to go, especially when people were saying “you’re almost there.” I ran into another girl starting her second loop and we stayed together for a while. I started feeling sick to my stomach and decided to slow to a brisk walk. My mom had told me that she wouldn’t give me my last needed donation to Operation Rebound if I finished and needed medical assistance. She would rather I DNF than hurt myself, she said. I took that to heart, and slowed until I didn’t feel like throwing up again. That basically meant walking the uphills and jogging the downhills. I kept hitting the lap key and recalculating what I needed to do to make the final cutoff. My friends drove up, finished with their bike catching volunteer duties for the day. They walked with me for a while and Gazelle helpfully re-checked my math so I knew I could basically walk all the way to the finish and still make the cutoff. I was glad for the company – it really is lonely out there! I started drinking coke about 9 miles from the finish, a few miles earlier than normal. I hoped it would help settle my stomach. It did and I was able to “run” a little more without feeling like throwing up. At the final turnaround I saw my friend I’d started the run with and we finished the race together. 16:55, 35 minutes before the cutoff. The race director actually stayed until the final finisher came in at 2am!

My partner was there at the finish and the race director even got me some chicken soup himself as I tried to get warm. I told him it was the best race I’d ever done – best volunteers, best organization, most beautiful…and clearly the toughest full distance race in the world.

Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly! [trigirl75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, what a tough race. Great RR, I think I felt your pain ;-)!!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly! [trigirl75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, congratulations! I have absolutely no desire to ever do Silverman. I'll stick to the "easy" Ironmans. ;-)

Thanks for sharing your RR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW. I don't know if I could have done that. Congratulations on finishing a tough race on a tough day!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUGE congratulations on getting through that. Sounds like it was a crazy rough day out there for everyone (even the relayers!). You did a fantastic job and no matter how much faster you may go in a race in the future, that will probably go down in the books as the best race feat of your life.

I just have to say too that I think it's fantastic that the RD stayed out there til the last finisher finished way past cut off. That's class right there.

Quote | Reply
Hey, great report and well done. I have done the half and I can imagine what a tough race the full was. You guys looked aboslutely exhausted coming out of the water. I know I loved the half and have already signed up for the full next year. Hopefully see you there. Again, well done, it's a great result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! i did the 1/2 last year and enjoyed it, but there's just no way I'd want to do the full. And the conditions this year just sounded brutal. Wow. Congrats!

i will put a plug in for the race though, the race directors do a great job. The support is as good as a NAS produced race. Easily. And there's beer at the finish line. And it's in Las Vegas.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly! [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CONGRATZ on the finish, especially considering the tough conditions! Great report!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The title made me laugh the part about swimming uphill. That sounds like a tough race. Good job on your finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on an epic effort! Hail in Las Vegas...holy cow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uphill swimming? Wow, you are tough!

I'd forgotten about vomiting in the water due to whitecaps. Hadn't dealt with that since swimming on the Big Island of Hawaii in February.

10 days out from IMAZ...wind can't possibly blow that hard...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rock girl!! Way to go. I've swam uphill once - it was in St. Croix (in the harbor at that). After the turnaround though, you could catch a wave back in and get a little help. I couldn't see where I was going to save my life - a kayaker finally caught me and just said to follow him the entire way - saved my swim! Even with family in Vegas, I don't think I could do that race - it would kill me!! You are a Studette!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly! [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race report!!! Congrats on completing the full - I was there too and did the half, and was in the middle of that crazy weather too, I have never seen anything like it. I was one of those folks waiting in the water for an hour trying to stay warm while you full iron studs were trying to make it home. But I have to say it was one of the greatest races I have ever done, a challenging, crazy adventure. I have already signed up for 2009. I am gonna conquer that course!!! Way to go girl!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe you survived that. Incredible. I'm not sure I could have. This is something to be really proud of. Everything else will feel easy compared to it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way to go on a tought day on a tough course!!!

I'd like to try this race one of these years.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman race report - even the swim was hilly! [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job on a tough course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!!! AMAZING JOB! I'm sure it was MUCH tougher than IMWI 06. YOu can ALWAYS remember this finish. Hail? Oh my gosh! I'm surprised I wasn't there, you had such bad weather (some say I'm cursed at the full IM distance).

Thanks for the race report. I LOVED it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the finish. That race sounds like sooo much fun. That what doesn't kill you makes you stronger??

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. I was right there with you on the sisters. The path seemed like it was going to go on forever with the time clicking down to 5:00. I think I made it by 8 minutes too. Great work!

it turns out that our OP is only "mostly" dead........ ElGordo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you get that epic day written up in anything under 10 pages?!?! Uft...back to my editing....mine will most likely wind up a link to the blog...pictures and all.

Either way, it's REALLLLLLLLY long. Damn journalism degree....

AW
Quote Reply