Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome back! Glad to hear everything is pretty much ok. Take it easy (you were in my blogging thoughts :D)

Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are back home!!!! Rest up!
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Girl really knows how to scare the crap out of us, huh?

Geez....

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear everything is ok so far... keep us updated!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you are ok....bet you still can do your OLY in July...

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
follow-up with IM next week and return to light duties early next week if I feel ok.

Now, it is too soon for CDA, so which IM are you talking about?

I know, Int Med, but a lot of people's first thoughts would be similar. ;-)

Good to hear that you are basically very healthy, just need to track down the little thing that is out of whack. I'll be keeping fingers crossed that your IM'ist is of "House" quality, but with fewer dramatics.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, afterwards I wondered how many folks would think I was actually referring to IronMan lol... The main Internal Med doc I was dealing with was very good - "here's my card, here's my pager #, here's my office #, you call me anytime you have any questions, I'm back on rotation in 3 days..." yadda yadda yadda.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad things are working out for your Ms Andy. If you're back at VGH let me know as I'm a quick hop, skip, and jump away. Maybe you need a little R and R on the pool deck at kits????

K

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the way you think miss! I'll ping you when I figure out when I will be back at VGH. AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH my gosh. I was away all weekend and just read this. Thank goodness. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing!
HUGS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of us are watching this thread. So many of us here with a family history of heart problems; we're not immune just b/c we're "in shape." PLEASE keep posting or we'll worry about you!
:(
Last edited by: Oleander: May 27, 08 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just it - we like to think we're immune from heart problems but we are often just as susceptible as the "general population." I certainly have been doing my reading up on blood, heart and lungs lately - heck some of these tests are fascinating (that D-Dimer test for example, is quite amazing). AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes Andy!!! I was without a computer for a few days and just saw this. How frightening. I'm thinking of you - keep us posted. Do they think it's related to your thyroid issues?

halliet
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [halliet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope not at all. If you are overmedicated on synthroid you can get weird heart stuff happening, but I'm not even close to overdosed, they checked that.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with your thyroid issues and the contamination that you are exposed to at work, it might be good to find a really really really excellent endocrinologist to give you the most thorough work-up possible and rule out absolutely everything. it seems like you have had some weird/lingering issues since you started taking the thyroid meds. it might be nice to get another opinion from someone with a different perspective. i tend to think that tsymptoms are more related than most people (and docs) assume... get better. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Scary day ysterday: Pericarditis [austin79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah - or a better, lower-stress job! It might be easier! ;-) AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you won't be back at VGH but just in case know that I am a hop skip and a jump away. I'm good for smuggling in "non hospital" food and drinks.

How are you feeling today?

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw this thread as well. I'm so glad you're OK! Definitely keep us posted...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hopefully you won't be back at VGH but just in case know that I am a hop skip and a jump away. I'm good for smuggling in "non hospital" food and drinks.

I think the idea of her being back there is for a scheduled appointment with the Internal Medicine doc. There are some good eating options nearby though... :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing OK, just still tired. Still find some tightness in the chest when I lay flat on my back, which is expected. It's *hard* to rest! The harder part is trying to explain to the kids why I can't pick them up or go to the park with them :-(. They still tired me out last night.

Two more days of couch life. Sigh.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hang in there AP.

Now sounds like a good time to do some online shopping. Got all your gels and salt tabs and energy bars for the summer season? Does your bike need to go to the shop for a tune up? Check out some running shoes (on line of course!)? Maybe even do some window shopping for future races.

Good time to get your administrative stuff out of the way.

When's the little one's birthday? Or, if you're really one of those organized freaks, you could start a little Christmas shopping. ;-)

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, K's birthday is in Jan, so I'm all good for months.

Instead I am looking at booking flights to Quebec City for 2009's Carnival. ;-)

And doing some financial planning lol, sad that you have to get sick to spend time on this kind of stuff.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey AP!

How about an update? How are you feeling these days? Any improvement?

Enquiring minds ...

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, definitely feeling better, but mentally going nuts at not doing anything - back to work tomorrow, with a lunchtime walk on tap for Monday, and Tuesday. If those feel OK, then I will swim easy i.e.: max 1000m on Wed. Still haven't been able to make my booking with the IM folks - the chief is out and she needs to push the appointment up (otherwise it's waaay out there).

Hopefully by the time I finish watching World's next weekend, I'll be ready to GO GO GO!

Thx for asking BTW.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to revive this thread - out of the several other choices - because there were several very helpful suggestions throughout.

I was recently diagnosed with acute pericarditis (10/19) - I am 38 y.o. BW showed big inflammatory changes, chest x-ray was negative, EKG was indicative of pericarditis, ECHO basically normal. Have been on high does NSAIDS and colchicine since.

So first - I DO have an appointment with a cardiologist who deals with athletes in 1 month. This is still quite the long time away in my mind.

What I am wondering from any cardio/pulm/etc people is about progression and long term prognosis. I know I will get more info at the cardiologist, but curious from a group of like minded people. I was pretty restful for the first 11 days after diagnosis (thankfully was on a short vacation from work). Would get tired and out of breath easily. I do have a farm and would lightly walk around and do animal checks and feed (taking about 3x longer intentionally). I would also take very slow walks with my dogs. Days 12-14 I walked 'faster' about 2 - 2.3 miles in ~45 min (which to me didn't seem 'aggressive'). By days 13 and 14, increased pain was starting again. Day 15 had follow up and was told again to 'just take it easy'. But I have never been told what 'taking it easy' is defined by. So for the last 9ish days back to slow walks, light feeding, deliberate movements. I am definitely better, intermittently still have 'pressure' and what I describe as constriction - not so much like something is on my chest, but like something is deep in my chest.

So here goes:

Are there parameters - HR, Oxygen Saturation, BP, respiration that I can use to determine if I am overdoing, BEFORE I have increased pain?

Is there a typical progression of activity that I should expect?

What is the long term prognosis for return to higher level activity (Duathlon Worlds...Tri Nationals...70.3 or 140.6....ultra - were all on the radar)?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Prev Next