Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sarah Haskins over on the main forum
Quote | Reply
ladies! many of you know of sarah haskins, she's just joined this community as of yesterday, there's an ask-me-anything thread over there about the eagleman race she just won. there's a little intro from me in that thread.

what i intend, and expect, is to have some of these ask me anything threads over here in the womens. that's coming. there is a *little* blowback from that idea, from those who think that a truly gender-blind approach is antithetical to the ask-me-anything threads bifurcated by gender, parceled out into gender-specific forums.

still, the idea of the women's forum has always been to talk about issues and challenges specific to women, i.e., men and women are equal, but they aren't identical.

in fact, sarah gave birth somewhere around july of 2013, and she recommenced bogarting the top spot on the podium by 2014. i'm sure there are all kinds of questions that men cannot relate to that one might want to ask somebody like sarah: her pregnancy, her recovery from pregnancy, her daily routine as a mother and so forth.

so, we will have some of these threads in the womens, i just don't know exactly when. some of the women pros read the interview with sara gross and me, and the thread on the main forum discussing that interview, and have decided it's time to start to talk to folks here on this forum. i'll be asking some of these top-performing ladies to post here, for the benefit of those reading this specific forum.

in the meantime, sarah's on the other side, over there, i suspect she might post some interesting stuff.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Haskins over on the main forum [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dan!
FWIW, I read your original report on the lottery when you wrote it, then Sara's response when she wrote it, and a chunk of the discussion that followed. I suspect I am not alone among the womens in thinking:
  • I found the idea that people thought of you as a crusty misogynist who thought of his wife as his housekeeper extremely funny. In all my visits to the compound for Womens camp and FIST clinic, you have been gracious and kind with everyone, and Tanya kicks serious ass.
  • Sara was put off by your equating TriEqual with the lottery challenge and started off her article about your interview hinting at that -- "turning the tables," etc. But I didn't think either of you came off poorly and I think the key points were highlighted.
  • I like to read the main forum but have little interest in responding, not because it's "too manly" or "too mean-spirited" but because I am not the sort of person who needs to prove my point and/or push my knowledge most of the time. Often it just seems like what we womens call "mansplaining" (except it's to whoever, not just to us womens), or people with impulse control issues, quick to respond to a single post (or every single post). If I were the sort who liked to engage debate, I'd have no issue with participating. It is probably worth noting that too many "women's forums" in general skew to beginner (case in point the Women For Tri group that the TriEqual team quit), and even there most of the responses to a post are more "yeah, I know how you feel, you are awesome" than the kind of "here's what you should do" stuff we see here (and is more common among men, in general).
Looking forward to hearing what Sarah Haskins has to say.
Quote Reply
Re: Sarah Haskins over on the main forum [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there seem to be a lot of sara(h)s showing up on slowtwitch. i get along with them all. the more the merrier. maybe we'll get ms. groff on here soon too.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply