Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Advice
Quote | Reply
Again, my apologies for my cluelessness. I've just started long-distance biking. For the most part, I've been a short-distance commuter (about 7-10 miles/day). Now, I'm finding that my saddle, although not too squishy, is far too soft for long distance rides. Anyone have a good recommendation for a non-padded saddle for a 110 lb lady?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [TammiArts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different, so you could get as many answers as there are asses and saddles. There is a saddle tour going on right now - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...addle_Tour_3810.html, which would be a great place to start if the timing and location works out for you.

My saddle? Specialized Body Geometry. An older version of one of these road saddles (I don't have a tri bike) - http://www.specialized.com/...oadtriathlon-saddles. Go to a shop that has the Specialized BG ass-o-meter, which tells you the distance between your sit bones... that's your saddle size. <--- gives you the opportunity to make a joke about how now your "big ass" has finally been scientifically verified

I ride with a couple ladies on tri bikes that use some version of the ISM Adamo.

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [kbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 for just trying a bunch... the stock saddle that came with one of my bikes feels awesome, but the other bike (different brand) I got one with a cutout. You really just have to experiment.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, that makes sense. Sorry for my biking brainlessness! I'm a swimmer turned cyclist, so getting used to new equipment is a learning experience, to say the least!
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [TammiArts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what I wish someone had told me when I started cycling is that vaseline, chamois butter, body glide etc. = absolute necessity to saddle comfort

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
humbly disagree that 'chamois cream/body glides are a necessity for saddle comfort'

Cremes are generally designed to condition the skin, reduce bacteria or provide a modicum of lubrication between skin/pores/hair and the shorts. So yes, creme is a good thing, but having a proper fit and a saddle with the right shape/angle etc is primary. A high quality (and relatively new) pair of shorts is also necessary. Working with riders to find the right platform to sit on for hours comes first, then I like to say creme should be the icing on the cake (or is that frosting?).

Oddly, I never used chamois creme until about 7-8yrs ago; my mentors (male) never suggested I use it, rather to find the right saddle first. My perception of the product was that it was for the "sweaty guys" lol. Everyone is different, though, so while it is not a necessity for me, for others it is?

Unfortunately, many people suffer needlessly without good advice or opportunity to try different saddles (Slowtwitch Saddle Tour!).
I wish I had 'been there' for you when you started cycling, as I was so very fortunate to have good people around me when I first started too.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a proper bike store should have what's called an 'assometer' to measure your sit bones, from there you can go forward with a saddle. Have you ever had your sit bones measured?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100%. If you have good shorts that work for your anatomy AND a good fit with a saddle that also works for your anatomy, chamois creme is not necessary. I used to ride over 1000miles/month and had more miles on my bike than my car and never used the stuff.

As for saddles, Terry makes some good ones that you might like for commuting. I have found that a cutout is key for comfort. The specialized body geometry line is good as well. Both saddles have a trial period where you can get your money back if you are not satisfied.

Maybe head to a shop and try a few!

ABarnes wrote:
humbly disagree that 'chamois cream/body glides are a necessity for saddle comfort'

Cremes are generally designed to condition the skin, reduce bacteria or provide a modicum of lubrication between skin/pores/hair and the shorts. So yes, creme is a good thing, but having a proper fit and a saddle with the right shape/angle etc is primary. A high quality (and relatively new) pair of shorts is also necessary. Working with riders to find the right platform to sit on for hours comes first, then I like to say creme should be the icing on the cake (or is that frosting?).

Oddly, I never used chamois creme until about 7-8yrs ago; my mentors (male) never suggested I use it, rather to find the right saddle first. My perception of the product was that it was for the "sweaty guys" lol. Everyone is different, though, so while it is not a necessity for me, for others it is?

Unfortunately, many people suffer needlessly without good advice or opportunity to try different saddles (Slowtwitch Saddle Tour!).
I wish I had 'been there' for you when you started cycling, as I was so very fortunate to have good people around me when I first started too.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Advice [retz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are various devices to measure a rider, some are more Retail Theatre, some are more basic. They will get you in the ballpark, but always in the end it's the 3 Bears Effect: this is too hot, this one's too cold, etc. You never know until you sit on it and ride...

I've used the Specialized 'assometer', a gel pad device from which you can measure your sit bone impression width. It's kinda...well...basic, and gives you one answer. (hey, guess what, you fit the X/Y/Z Specialized saddle!!)

I also use the Selle Italia ID Match, which measures width trocanter to trocanter, thigh diameter, and angle of the pelvis (forward bend flexion). You then plug this info into the Selle ID website and it gives you their X/Y/Z answer.

Anatomical studies show that the average range of ischial tuberosity width in the human is 122-133mm, males tend to be narrower and women tend to be wider. I am not entirely comfortable in saying that the assometer or whatever is an accurate measurement to then say 'oh, you need a 130 wide saddle', when there is only an 11mm range of variance in the general population. If I could move a cleat 11mm I can see and the rider can feel that change in platform, but at your butt, with muscle/fat/ligaments between the bones and the saddle what can 11mm feel like?

So far we are only quantifying the saddle from top view, but from rearview is the saddle plain level or curved? Therefore Prologo with flat, semi-round or curved platforms.

In general, many saddles are designed to improve pudendal blood flow (cutouts) and not necessarily proper width for the sit bones. To get the best of both worlds is the key.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply