Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'd like to ask for advice about an SMP saddle and hamstring pain:

I bought an SMP evolution saddle last year, and immediately loved it-- for the first time ever, my lady parts didn't hurt while riding! However, I soon noticed pain under my sit bone on the right. I figured it was probably bruising but no big deal, and kept riding... Unfortunately, it turned into a hamstring/leg problem (I think nerve damage) which lasted about 8 months.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with a saddle? How long did it take to completely go away? And if anyone has experienced it, (especially with an SMP saddle), what ended up working for you?

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Re: SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain [Rae] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use an SMP (stratos) as well and love it. I'm afraid I had no hamstring issues though. I did have to spend quite a bit of time adjusting the saddle until it fit right though - it's very different from conventional saddle shapes and the only suggestion I might have is to get a professional bike fit. It's possible that when you swapped out your saddle you bike position went out of whack and caused pain. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain [mrak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mrak,
Thanks for the reply! I did get my bike fit when I got the saddle-- I figured at first that maybe the slightly different bike fit was part of the problem-- but I tried changing my fit back to the old fit, and the problem continued.
Glad to hear you had good luck with the stratos!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give this site a try for some SMP advice: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/...1/09/all-about-smps/

Might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar boat, but I use a different saddle (Adamo). I'm not sure that it's the saddle that has caused my issue. I know I've had sciatic troubles for a while now (driving long distances has been an issue prior to me riding the Adamo).

My issue showed up first as chronic tightness in the left low back. This fall I started getting hamstring pain on the right side. Nothing major, just wouldn't go away. Driving was almost the worst thing for it.

I started rolling my low back on a TP roller and that has helped a lot, but hasn't solved the issue. In fact, after a couple days of taking it easy with S,B,R the pain came back as bad as ever. I have no idea why.

I did see a chiro for a while and he did nothing. I'm now going to try going to a different guy as I don't seem to be having much luck solving the issue myself.

While my situation got really bad this past fall, I know I've had chronic tightness in my left low back for at least a year. As it never bothered me I'm not really sure when it started. I only made a mental note of it a year ago as I was dealing with hip/IT pain on the left side. I was told that the issue with that was weak gluts.

I do try to do lots of stretching and strength exercises as well as self-massage. Keep us posted if you get it sorted out.

Edited to add...

I found this link on Piriformis Syndrome very interesting and may explain a lot of what I have been experiencing. Does any of that sound like what might be happening with you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Piriformis_syndrome
Last edited by: bluepoint: Feb 17, 12 19:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
You may want to check your saddle height. I started riding a SMP composite saddle recently. It has no padding. I found I had to adjust the saddle height a few millimeters lower to allow for the difference of "sitting" (compression) on a padded saddle. Going a little lower stopped me from sliding and putting pressure on one side.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Rae [ In reply to ]
Re: SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^Oops! Sorry to be a newb with the forum posting in my previous post...

Thanks for the suggestion. I skimmed the article back in September, but I should probably sit down and figure out exactly what Steve Hogg is talking about in terms of angles and dimensions-- I was definitely confused when I first read it!

Will post again when I have a chance to read it in detail....
Quote Reply
Re: SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain [jlfein] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Thanks for the tip. I think unfortunately this wasn't the problem for me last year, because I had lowered my saddle when I put on the SMP... but I will definitely keep it in mind if I try another SMP!
Quote Reply
Re: SMP Saddle & Hamstring pain [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm... that's really interesting! I share some symptoms with you:
-I've had chromic lower back tightness, (definitely gets worse as I ride on any saddle except the SMP, since I'm hunching over to avoid soft tissue pain...), though it never goes away even when I'm not riding.
-my hamstring pain isn't super severe, it just won't go away!
-I definitely have weak glutes...

For me, riding and/or sitting on hard chairs make it worse, but nothing makes it feel better.

I've been doing relatively consistent stretching, and at the beginning of January started doing yoga and pilates once per week each (which I hope will help with lateral flexibility & strengthening)... though I suspect that will take longer than the 6 weeks I've been doing it thus far, haha.

In any case, interesting comment/link about the piriformis syndrome. My initial inclination is to think that isn't what is causing my pain (since it seems to originate right below my sits bone under where my body contacts the saddle...), not in the glutes area. But it seems reasonable that it might be the same nerve that's getting impinged, and causing radiating pain down my leg....

I will keep you posted if I make any progress-- and I'd be curious to hear how things go for you. Thanks again for your insight!

Last edited by: Rae: Feb 22, 12 21:04
Quote Reply