Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing after pregnancy
Quote | Reply
Hi ladies,

I just want to share with you the joy I had last week-end. I did a 10km race, and boy, I was as good as before I gave birth to my 4 months old daughter (and even maybe better!). I can't believe I didn't lose anything with the pregnancy! That's awesome! Everybody on this forum told me that I would come back into shape rapidly after giving birth, and YES, that's true! So to all of you slowtwitch mommy-to-be, YES, we can be stronger after babies! Just keep the minimum training in zone 1 during 9 months, and you'll do what you thought was impossible!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's fantastic - congratulations!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! That must make you feel good as you get ready for Lake Placid. I am finding the same thing. I am as strong, if not stronger (and skinnier thanks to a very hungry son) than I was before pregnancy. Crazy. Not what I was expecting at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I was really encouraged to hear these great stories. I am only 7 weeks but I am already doing research into how to come back fitter. I have a question for those that have posted - i read that you have to be careful re running post pregnancy because something called relaxin (i think) is released and means you are susceptible to pelvic injuries as the joints are soft. I'm interested to know how soon you were able to start running?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [BikeBeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran until 39 weeks, and started back running 2 weeks after birth. Never had any issues with 'relaxin'. If you keep up a steady mileage during pregnancy, returning to a similar mileage soon after birth shouldn't cause injuries IMO. If you didn't run in the last trimester, then coming back and laying on the runs is likely to cause problems regardless of hormones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran up until the day I was induced (10 days past my due date) and ended up having to have an emergency c-section so I wasn't able to run for 6 weeks after giving birth so I'm not sure when the relaxin effects wear off. Once I was able to start running again I had no pelvic pains or issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi IMV!
Big congrats to you! Thanks for sharing this success! Really encouraging! I am currently 31 weeks pregnant. Feeling really good, but have reduced my training to 7-10h exercise per week (from ~16h average pre-pregnancy training). Just exercising now, mostly swimming, running, yoga and core strength (the cycling slowly starts to be uncomfortable-even on the mtb), listening to my body and doing what feels fine.
Can I ask how much you trained pre - pregnancy, through pregnancy and since? And did you manage to loose all your weight in 4 months? Do you plan any Half- Ironman or Ironman distance soon? When starting back, did you feel you mainly lost endurance or speed? And are you breastfeeding?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [Kaba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big congrats to you too! That's really awesome to be a mom, nothing to compare with training or racing, much more better! Can you imagine!?!?!?!

"Can I ask how much you trained pre - pregnancy, through pregnancy and since?"

I did IMLP 6 months before I get pregnant, so I was during my off season when it finally worked out. I was on a 6-10hrs/w basis, Through my pregnancy, I was doing between 30-75min of exercise 4-6x per week. I can't really say it was training, it was only to keep the form of my swimming, running and biking. I stopped running at w. 20 bc I didn't had fun anymore. I replaced it by with the cross trainer at the gym. I biked until almost the end, but it was biking in the streets with my mtb. So it was not really "biking". To be honnest, I was doing so little I was wondering how I could get back to the point I was before my pregnancy. I took 3 weeks off after delivery (except for a couple of short swims), and started to swim-bike-run after 3 weeks. Running was very hard in the beginning for 2 reasons. 1. I still had 10-15lbs extra, and 2. I didn't run for more than 20weeks (except for 3 little runs the week before delivery...). However, after a couple of weeks of regular training, I was back to the point I was before, and now I think my VO2 max is better than ever. I can't say why though. My saddle hurt a lot for about 2 months after delivery, so it was hard to do the bike last autumn. Also, I felt I had lost legs strenght on the bike. Now, I think I'm at the same point than before. Finally, I did a 1000m TT in the pool last January, and I did exactly the same time as last year, and I only swim 2x per week (this is the hardest part for me to get to the pool with the baby).

"And did you manage to loose all your weight in 4 months?" Oh yes! I don't breasfeed, so it was a little longer, but I'm at the same weight as before getting pregnant. I don't have exactly the same abs as before, but I guess it will get back with the IM training.

"Do you plan any Half- Ironman or Ironman distance soon? When starting back, did you feel you mainly lost endurance or speed? And are you breastfeeding?"

I signed up for Timberman last December, I felt good enough for a half, and then I signed up recently for IMLP (via Janus). I'm on a maternity leave until August, so I can easily train, plus we have a good baby who generally sleeps well at night. (I need a lot of sleep). As mentioned earlier, the lost of speed and endurance went back quite easily after a couple of weeks of training.

Good luck with all that is coming for you! Enjoy every moment!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is more of a message for all Mom's and/or Mom to be's....

Just wondering how many Mom completed ironmans in the 12-18 months post delivery and if so what was your experience in terms of training, family life and the physical demands.

Or for the Mom's to be...is anyone currently expecting or just had a baby recently and planned to race an ironman in the 12-18 months post delivery...

And for those not planning an ironman distance race what is your longest distance race planned half IM? Olympic? Not planning to race at all in the 12-18 months post delivery??

Just looking to get some advice and experience :0 Spring is in the air and since I can't plan my 2009 race season I'm thinking 2010 already - we all can have goals right!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [Rika] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IMWA in 05 at 20mo post-c-section. I got up at 4am to train so as to spend mornings with K, take her to daycare, work, pick K up after work, make dinner and spend all evening with her. I loved it but my now-ex-husband hated it - even though he said he'd support me through the whole thing. Not financially, mind you, I was still working full-time and the primary breadwinner of the house. Body came back pretty easily that's for sure. The post-natal bump in iron/red blood cells made a BIG difference all righty. I had weaned K well before I started training again, my actually training was from Feb to Nov; she was weaned the prior Nov. I couldn't run with those big cans. :-( So I basically did what ever I wanted (swiming & riding mostly) from when K arrived in Jan through almost a full year before actually training for a race. That year (05) I did 4 1/2IM with the first in March, so not a lot of specific training under the belt. But I made it through and got faster and fitter...

Would I do it again? You bet. That was one of the BEST days of my life and I am so happy my marriage is over - kinda sad that IM was part of that but it would have happened anyways. It was a great way for me to reclaim my body and my competitive spirit. IM is selfish - but as a new mom, it is important to have something for yourself too - you can't be all about your baby. I still had to be me, not just "K's mom".

My ramblings on the subject...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The post-natal bump in iron/red blood cells made a BIG difference all righty.

never heard about this one before! how does it work?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well during pregnancy and for some time afterwards, your red blood count is elevated.

Blood volume increases by 40% in the first two trimesters. This is due to an increase in plasma volume through increased aldosterone. Progesterone may also interact with the aldosterone receptor, thus leading to increased levels. Red blood cell numbers increase due to increased erythropoietin levels.
  • Total red blood cell mass increases by between 240ml (18% - without iron supplements) and 400ml (30% - with iron supplements)
    • Haemocrit falls (40% to 31%)
    • Haemoglobulin concentration falls from 13.5% to 11-12%
    • Results in dilutional anaemia of physiological anaemia of pregnancy

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fascinating, thanks, I have always assumed that once the placenta goes so goes the extra blood/iron/... guess some stays around longer than I thought
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. I planned my 2009 season while pregnant in 2008. I did a half marathon 3 months after giving birth (I was signed up for the full marathon but an emergency c-section derailed that). Right now my little guy is 5.5 months old and I am training for 4 half IMs (well 3 halfs and an IM if I all goes as I hope at one half) and a few olympic distance races. I am still breastfeeding my little guy but both he and my body have adjusted. He goes to bed at 7 and then he and I both usually wake up at 4 and I feed him and he goes back to sleep until about 7:30 and I start working out at about 4:30. I am usually done working out and just done showering when he wakes up or my husband takes morning duty and takes him to daycare. I am working full time so I am also often able to sneak out at lunch and get some training in. On the weekends my husband usually takes the baby until 12 and then I let him have until 5 to have his time to do his thing. This has really helped keep both of us sane. I could also work out again after 7 most weeknights if I need to but I don't usually like to work out in the evenings and this is typically the time my husband and I can spend together (and do fun things like fold endless amounts of laundry or clean bottles).

Getting all the training in really puts my time management skills to the test but I think I've developed a routine that's working pretty well for me. And when I go to bed, I go to bed. I used to read a lot before turning the lights out but now I am still trying to finish the same book I was reading when I was in the waiting room waiting to be induced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rika - I am in EXACTLY the same space as you, planning 2010. I've had a series of "disagreements" with triathlete husband about when I can come back and race ironman (competitively). I'm due early October and would like to race an ironman in the following July or August. I get 8 months maternity all of which I'll be spending in Australia with family so perfect for training and a good support network.

I'd be really interested to hear how soon other moms came back to ironman racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are all great responses and I appreciate the insight.

I'm currently 18 weeks so due first week of August. Ideally I was thinking that I'd head down to Lake Placid and sign up for 2010 with another girlfriend. Obviously if for whatever reason the baby has alternate plans for the end of July then its unlikely I'll get a spot for IM USA. So thats my tentative plan...that I also need to "discuss" with my husband before July - obviously.

It sounds like its could be doable with the right support. Both sets of grandparents don't live in our city so it could be tricky but perhaps doable for some good weekend workouts. Luckily I have a full year off starting end of July so I envision having time to train - at least for a Half IM but I understand that pretty much the baby will be dictating the new routines etc and that I will have to be flexible. My orginial plan until a few weeks ago was to train for the Muskoka Chase race and try and snag a spot to an IM there but I from what I've heard IM Canada is their only IM race this year and there will likely be TONS of people competing now for limited slots. I don't believe that there are any other qualifying races close to home.

Its nice to plan for the future, especially when the weather is starting to get nicer. My husband is planning his first ride of the season tomorrow but I think I'll stay indoors for a little while longer....I just hate cleaning my bike to put it back on the trainer :)

Any good movie recommendations for my trainer session this weekend?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh one last piece of advice: do upper body (light) weight or similar resistance work through your pregnancy. I lost a lot of upper body strength - that probably took the longest to come back of all aspects.

Have a great pregnancy!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like AndyPants, I did my first IM 20 months after having my first baby. My husband did IMUSA the same year (I did Florida). I stopped running by about 5 months (I couldn't stand the bouncing feeling, even with support garments!), and rode the trainer for a while longer. I swam until I was past my due date (it really made the lifeguards nervous : ). After he was born I started back as soon as possible. I walked with him at first, then started running again after the 6 weeks, it was really hard to get back at it, but a nice excuse to get a little break.

I breastfed until he was 14 months. I had absolutely no problem with it. The only really bad time was the first time I left him overnight (at 12 months) to race, I was EXTREMELY uncomfortable by the time I got home (didn't bring a pump - bad idea!).

Family life was fine. My husband was very supportive and Gavin was a really cooperative. He had his own schedule that I was able to work around with little problem. Also, both sets of grandparents were very helpful. Don't get me wrong though, I didn't leave him very often while he was awake, I would have felt too guilty. But the boy really liked to sleep (still does!) and it was easy for me to get away while he was napping.

As far as racing was concerned. I started again when he was 3 months old with a local sprint tri. I had a pretty low key season that year, but wrapped things up with an age group win at an oly in the fall (it's really fun picking up your trophy with a baby in your arms ; ). I didn't really start serious training for Florida until the following February. I ran with the jog-stroller a lot and did more trainer rides than most people do, but it worked out well and I was very pleased with my time.

Besides the jog-stroller another thing that really helped was that Gav really liked being in his playpen. I could ride on the trainer or run on the TM, while he sat beside me and played with his toys in there. Try and get your baby used to it early though, once they get too old they don't like the idea of being confined.

It wasn't too bad at all training with a baby. In my opinion it was waaaaaayyy easier than training for an IM with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. That is another story altogether......

Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [JAFFe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya! We have the 5yo and the 4yo and it's pretty tough to train for IMC this year. A lot of taking turns for the 4 or 5am sessions, we both train at every lunch hour during the week, and send the kids to ex's/g'parents or take turns for weekend rides & runs. Much easier when they are less clued in to what you are doing...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is tough! Especially if you work full time. I am very lucky in that I work part time. I'm able to spend some time with the kids during the day (until they are both in school full time) : ( and usually do most of my workouts after they go to bed. Fortunately, for me, I don't have to get up early to get my workouts in. I hate getting out of bed! The kids have me up by 7, that is early enough!

Usually they don't mind on the weekends if I'm gone one morning, but I bailed on a couple long rides and runs last year because the kids didn't want me to go. : ]
Quote Reply
Re: Racing after pregnancy [JAFFe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do work full time, in senior management too :-(. I actually *loathe* training after work, that's my time with the kidlets. I way prefer getting up at 4 or 5am to train. Peace and quiet.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I saw that IM has a new race in Utah....this would be 10 months post delivery (give or take obviously). I'm tempted to sign up because it would make a great destination race for my husband. He LOVES to mountain bike and he has been dying to get to Utah so it appears as though this is a win/win race location for both of us. He's away this week but we've discussed the topic over email and he appears to be onboard and told me to register before it sold out. I haven't registered just yet because I'd like to talk to him face to face and make sure he understands the time management requirements and the financial cost implications before I go dropping $600 on a race.

Any new moms out there that would have an opinion on being able to race an IM 10 months post delivery? It would be my first and I'm be hoping to go around 12:30 but understand that so many things can affect your time goal...including that the majority of my bike training will be in doors until the last month/month and a half (and we don't have a computrainer - yet...)

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it!! Granted I can't give you any real life experience on racing after a baby - but if it's something you want to do - go for it! I'll be 33 weeks preggo tomorrow. In July/August of last year, my hubby and I were all set to sign up for IM AZ in November 09. August turns up, hubby got laid off, I found out I was pregnant a week later - IM AZ was still on the books for both of us. That would have been an IM 6 months post birth. After a lot of talking and contemplating, we both decided it just wasn't in the cards and neither of us signed up (made the decision the day before online sign ups). The decision to not do it was totally financial - I still wish we had been able to sign up (so does hubby), even if the race was only 6 months post my due date. Anyways - like I said before - if you want to do - go for it! You'll figure out how to make it work!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it! But don't expect anything with any time/performance. An IM is a different beast, and since it will be your first and you'll have a baby to take care (which implies that you'll probably have to skip some trainings), just train the best you can, and enjoy your journey! I also wanted to do 12h00 for my first IM, but it turned out I gained almost 10lbs (on race day!), so it took me just a little under 13hrs. 2nd IM, I had a flu, and did a little over 14hrs.. you never know what IM day will give you. Now I'm training for my 3rd IM, my baby will be 9MO on race day. I can do almost all the trainings when she sleeps, but sometimes I'm a little tired. I'm in the best shape EVER, so I expect to do a PB, but we never now... If you have a supportive husband, GO, sign in TODAY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 10 months post partum is enough time to prepare for an IM. I did Beach2Battleship full iron when my daughter had just turned 9 months. I had a c section and gained 60 lbs so it took a while to lose the weight and get back into running shape. I can't handle a lot of volume and I did a 24 week IM training plan with my biggest week at 13 hrs and a couple weeks with only 2 hrs. I think that in general I averaged about 7.5 hrs/wk. My husband also did the full iron in Nov so we took turns doing long rides on the weekend. I am home with my daughter full time so it was really nice to get a break and go for some long rides with friends. I never planned on doing a full iron so soon post partum, but it kind of worked out that way and I am really glad I did it. It was my second IM (I did IMFL in 2006)and I was 1hr 15min faster so I was thrilled. In general, I missed racing a lot while I was pregnant so I got back into it fast. My first race back was a sprint at 13 weeks after my c section. I had a blast, since I love racing regardless of being in race shape or not.

Here is my blog in case you want to check out my first year back to triathlon post baby.
http://rebeccadewire.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply