Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Prego Shocker
Quote | Reply
So I just found out I'm 6 weeks prego, my hubby and "did it" one time without anything and BAM.

Here's the shocker.. I did a half ironman a few weeks ago at 1 week prego and didn't know.... and I was planning on doing another half IM in 6 weeks.

Since then (and at the time of still not knowing I was prego, I've done many hard training days, drank several glasses of wine, and ate sushi.)

My boobs hurt so bad, I just thought it was the normal PMSing. I took 2 tests and both were + .
I called the doc, and the office confirmed that they won't see anyone until at least 8-9 weeks ago, so I have to wait 3 more weeks until I go to the doctor.

Ladies advice please:

1. I feel so bad I already did 1 HM at 1 week prego unknowingly. Do you think this will harm anything??

2. As for my current training.. even though I feel tired now, I still workout daily and would it be advisable to still complete the second half iron? I will be 12 weeks at that point.

3. What's the truth about working out.. do I REALLY have to stay under 140bpm while working out, if I was already in super shape?!

I am so scared but excited :-) !!! Please send your opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Well, I've never been pregnant so take my opinion with a grain of salt but I think this heart rate cap is just extra worry for little benefit. I think listening to your body is about the best you can do and clearly we made it though millions of years of evolution without heart rate monitors.

But you'll get more specific, better advice from others very soon! Congrats again and I think that racing the half will be a rad story to tell your little one some day. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
life will never be the same again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! I have absolutely no idea, medically speaking, but really racing a HIM may not be the best idea. It beats our own bodies down pretty bad, I don't know what could happen to the little one. But this isn't based on anything- talk to your doc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Congratulations!
A great book to read is "Exercising Through Your Pregnancy" by James F Clapp. He has done lots of research on athletes and pregnancy and basically the outcome is you can do whatever you were doing going into the pregnancy - but just LISTEN to your body. If you are overly fatigued take it easy for a day or so. Keep hydrated, don't overheat TOO much. That 140bpm is pretty much a physicians stab in the dark, a silly number when you think of how much people's heart rates vary exercising.There are some great blogs out there too of women who have exercised through pregnancies, google pregnant athletes or exercising in pregnancy or something. Not to put you off but around 25% of women lose their pregnancies in the first trimester - athletes or coach potatoes so exercise is not a contributor. My OB/GYN says moderate exercise is GOOD. So enjoy doing what you can while you can and just pay attention to your body - best wishes for a healthy active pregnancy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry this came as a surprise and so has made you anxious. We triathletes like to have everything planned, but sometimes life just doesn't cooperate.

Don't worry about what you have done so far. Do you watch Mad Men on TV? Did you see Betty Draper smoke and drink through her third pregnancy? Well, women of my mom's generation did that, plus tried not to gain more than 15-20 lbs, and yet for the most part had healthy babies. Not the best way to go, but I doubt you have ruined your baby. Just start eating right and being careful now. (There is some prenatal testing you could do, cvs, amnio, but be thinking about what the results would mean to you before you do them. What results would matter? I remember reading a book called The Tentative Pregnancy about the effect all those tests have on how women feel about their pregnancies. To throw another book title at you!)

As far as what to do with training, get that Clapp book, read those articles, and talk to your doctor. My kids are teenagers now, so I am out of date, but in the old days we were told to keep our hr below 140, avoid hot tubs, and not lie on our backs after the fourth month. I understand it is more liberal now, that you can pretty much do what you have been doing, just not do anything new. If you have been running 40mpw, you can keep on doing it. If you have been running 20mpw, don't increase to 40mpw.

What to do about your next race? If it involves a big uptick in training, I wouldn't do it. In some ways the data is still out, though: you may sail through this pregnancy and train pretty hard until the end. Or you may soon find yourself plagued by morning sickness and fatigue and decide you really can't keep training the way you used to.

One more book title: Entering the Mother Zone about a woman who qualified for the Olympic bobsled team while pregnant (!), and then again while nursing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats first of all! I, like you, was surprised when I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd child. I was 10 weeks when I discovered it and had been doing a lot of hard running workouts during the hottest part of our summer. With that said, like others have shared, you need to discuss your questions with your doctor but I can tell you what I experienced and hopefully it will give you a little bit of breathing room until your first appointment.

1. Doing the 1/2 shouldn't have done anything so honestly I wouldn't worry at all. I also wouldn't worry about the wine and sushi you had. Our bodies and our babies are very resilient and in my opinion the real damage happens when we do things over a prolonged period of time that shows risk of causing harm.

2. As far as your second 1/2. I think my Doctor would have told me (if I was in your situation) to go ahead and do it but to make sure I was adequately hydrated and don't go out to set any records. I would; however, suggest that since you are unable to see an OB right now you should call your family doctor and ask for direction prior to making your decision about the 1/2.

3. The truth about working out. My doc told me that because my body was already used to doing massive activity there was absolutely NO reason why I couldn't continue it as long as my body responded positively; in which I would be the judge of that. I rode my bike until my belly started to literally hit the top tube and ran until my belly got so heavy it was uncomfortable (I went a little nuts with the first kid and weight gain; put on 50 pounds - it was the first time in my life I gave myself permission to really eat). :)

You didn't say if this was your first pregnancy or not but based on your questions I'm guessing that it is. With that said, do your best to relax and know that we were all created to withstand quite a bit and everything is going to be ok. I would also caution you in doing internet searches and asking a ton of people (especially those that are not in your 'bubble') questions because the one thing you will find is that 'everyone' has an opinion and at times they can be very scary and a bit over-the-top. You now have a little life growing inside of you which makes you a Mommy. As mommies I believe we are given a certain 'knowledge'; a gut feeling about things. So after you have discussed your concerns with your doctor, go off what your heart tells you. It will never steer you wrong.

Quote | Reply
RUNMOMRUN:

Thank you so much for re-assuring me. You are right, this is my first pregnancy.

Thanks for the advice about doing the second 1/2, but I have to be honest and say that today I ran 10 miles at an easy pace, and I just felt so dang (tired, fatigued, bloated,...etc) and for a split second I thought-- there's no way I would even want to attempt the half feeling like how I did this morning.

Given that your doc confirmed that (we both were doing) a high volume of working out, I am going to just listen to my body, still train moderately and see how I feel day to day... it will probably be a game time decision!

I'm also NOT experiencing the morning sickness (yet) and I'm hoping I don't have that either :-) ! I'm assuming that you didn't have it either based on your response below? A lot of the female runners I run with state, I should pray I don't get that! LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that you are smart to listen to your body. That is exactly what I did. Some weeks I felt great, others I was wiped out.

For me, I had MINIMAL morning sickness. I would occasionally have an upset stomach but I never barfed and a few saltine crackers did the trick for me. Ironically enough I thought I had the 'stomach flu' with my last kid - that is how I finally found out I was PG. My first child (11 months old at the time) had been sick a few days earlier so I just assumed I had it. A few friends, and my husband joked with me "I bet you are pregnant" and considering I had JUST signed up to do IMCDA the next year I was in no way interested in that. Well, to prove them wrong, I took the test - and the first word out of my mouth was at the top of my lungs, "NOOOOooooooooooo"! I immediately called my doctor got in for a blood test that day and they confirmed it; not only was I pregnant I was VERY pregnant. Not only wasn't I going to do IMCDA now, but I was going to have two kids 18 months apart. I was a bit freaked out! Now, my oldest is turning 6 this weekend and her little sister is 4 1/2 and I wouldn't have it any other way. They are each others best friends.

You are started on an amazing journey NYJan.....super excited for you. :)

Quote | Reply
I am a lurker and don't usually post, but wanted to respond to you. I am almost 19 weeks along and understand your fears. First off, congrats on your pregnancy! Second, I was pregnant and didn't realize it until I was almost 5 weeks along. Before finding out, I drank beer and ate too much sushi. I had sushi about two days before finding out. From what I understand (I could be be completely wrong) not much is shared with the baby until the placenta develops (after 8 weeks), so you are perfectly fine. Even though it is recommended that pregnant women not eat raw sushi, all of the fish used in sushi is flash frozen and this kills the parasites immediately. The article below from the NY Times is a good discussion about the whole sushi debate.

I am sure your baby is fine and the HIM didn't hurt it, just keep training according to your doctor's recommendations. I would vote against the HIM at 12 wks, but that is me. Since I got pregnant my heat tolerance has gone out the window and I have to consume a ridiculous amount of liquid to stay hydrated, so I couldn't even imagine racing for that long.

There are so many things that we are told not to do while pregnant and it is pretty stressful, but try to stay healthy and listen to your body.

http://www.nytimes.com/.../opinion/15shaw.html
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [JessinNC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi NYJan. Congratulations on your pregnancy, even though it wasn't planned it sounds like it's a good thing. I just had my first baby two weeks ago, so this is all fresh in my mind!

I don't know if i have any new advice to give because there's been some good stuff already posted, but here's my 2cents:

1. Don't worry about what you ate or drank up to this point, just be sure to tell your doctor. Think about all the people who get pregnant and don't know about it until 6 weeks, you are definitely not the only person in that boat. It's the weeks coming up where it's really important to stay away from the no-no things.

2. The 140 bpm is an arbitrary number, 140 for me could be really different than 140 for you. Personally I tried to keep my HR below 150. That's about the low-middle of my zone 2. The book by Dr. Clapp is great! I read it, but in reality I just followed what my body was telling me. I ran easy and until week 23-ish, swam the entire time, and walked. If you feel OK for the HIM in a few weeks then make the call. Personally I felt so sick by that time it was hard for me to get out the door to walk. A HIM drains my body 'normally' so I know I wouldn't be able to do it...but everyone is different. What would your goal be in doing the race?

Do you have a doctor that will be supportive of you staying fit and active?

3. Like the PP said, there are so many things that people will tell you not to do. Don't let it overwhelm you, this is an exciting time!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm at my computer a lot now since I have an infant attached to my boobs for what feels like 98% of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you at 6 weeks since your LMP or 6 weeks since you did it. There is that funny pregnancy math that means that it has been 6 weeks since your last LMP (i.e. you are in your 6th week) you did your HIM a week before you actually got pregnant. You aren't actually pregnant until week 3. Even if you are in your 8th week now, at 1 week the baby isn't getting anything from your system, so you don't need to fret about its health.

As for working out now that you know, I second the recommendation on the Clapp book and searching through the dozens of threads on the same topic in these forums. AFAIK, getting too hot is a much bigger issue than getting your heart rate up.
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeeet. I figured out that I'm 6 weeks from the date I conceived so I guess adding the funky pregnancy math in (the 2 weeks prior to conception)-- I could be 8 weeks along. Hell, at this point I'll take as many days as I can :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! If you feel well enough to do a 1/2 IM then my advice to you is to take that time to take a long nap because you won't be getting any good naps here at some point in the near future. Just teasing! Sort of.

I was so sick during my pregnancy that I could barely swim and walk but I did it anyway. I quit riding for safety and running because it was too uncomfortable. I miscarried my 1st so that tends to weigh on you with subsequent pregnancies.

Life will resume to normal after you give birth so try to enjoy the time you are pregnant. Making a baby is serious work and should impact your life in some ways. Enjoy the attention as you get bigger and the beautiful gift of bringing new life into the world.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey NYJan, I wouldn't sweat it over your prior activities - it's very common for women to do things they might otherwise NOT do if they knew they were pregnant! Rest assured, you will be fine.

The big caveat with training intensity while pregnant is core body temperature - heating things up to high temps for extended periods is a big no-no. Talk to your doc to get the full scoop on the upcoming race. You may need to invest in a rectal thermometer just to monitor things, but doc will know best.

Hey, and let the rest of us know what you are being advised to do, too!!

MirZ
www.competitivefitnessgroup.com

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [MirZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

So, I went to the doctor and she did the ultrasound and so far everything is normal. (I'm only 8 weeks along). I told her everything I told you guys on here, about the races, the one I did and the one I was planning on doing...She did not bat an eye when I told her about the half I was already signed up for.. her response was "I have someone who is 31 weeks pregnant that is running a marathon.."

She stated that the most important thing is my body core temp. (Not the standard 140 heart rate) She said that I should NOT get over 101 degrees and to just listen to my body as to how hard I feel like working out. I then asked, well, how the heck am I going to know if I go over that.. her response was "carry a thermometer with you on your next long training."

She also stated... you can go ahead and do the race... but from now and until then (about 4 more weeks) she said that I maybe so dang tired that I can't even fully properly train and not really want to do it. Guess what has hit me last week?! Yes, the pregnancy fatigue. I'm still running about 30ish miles a week biking 1x-2x a week and swimming about 1x-2x.. but I know that the training volume that I was doing has been reduced. I feel now I'm just trying to stay afloat with my fitness routine !

So, that's the update for now. I'm still semi training but I'm pretty sure I won't do the race- just based how how I feel. I'm sleeping 8-9 hours a night and I still feel like I'm in a fog when I wake up !!

Also, I want to thank you all on the book recommendation of "Exercising through your pregnancy." By Clapp. Excellent book that has put my mind to rest and will continue to workout through my entire pregnancy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats and don't worry about anything. You will be fine!
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exercise is good for you while pregnant. If you have Always been very active you should be just fine. Plus if you plan on nursing and keeping up your workouts right after baby then you need to remain active throughout your pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a guy, but with a 5month old some of this is still pretty fresh for me. My wife and I ran our 5th marathon and found out she was pregnant 4wks later and we'd signed up to do a half marathon 8wks after we found out. I second the suggestion to listen to your body because it is a pretty smart little ecosystem. My wife didn't have sickness or anything but did get tired more quickly than normal. She also experienced some slight bleeding/spotting when she ran over 10km or tried to push the pace a bit - basically her body told her that was causing too much stress and she should back it down. She kept the run distance under 10km and no problems. She also switched from half marathon to 10km and ended up doing some run-walking due to energy levels but didn't have any bleeding problems or anything and we've got a perfect little girl to show for 9months of effort.

So, long story short, listen to your body about training and racing and it will tell you what path to take.

Congratulations, having a little one waiting for me at the end of a tri is an amazing experience...though holding her when she's in a cute outfit and I'm sweaty and gross is still not something I'm fully keen on...but it seems to be ok when the roles are reversed. ;-)

Cheers,

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [Josh_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [fredsanford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Enjoy! I stuck to sprints during my last pregnancy (my doc thought anything longer just didn't do me or the baby any good - just too much calories utilized and too much stores depleted in races longer than 1.5 hrs) and ended up shockingly staying rather competitive until about my 6th month It was at that time taht I decided the risk of getting kicked in the swim or having some idiot with poor bike handling skills hit me and cause me to fall wasn't worth it any longer - however, competing wasn't the goal when I was pregnant and during those races I never let myself run faster than a moderate training run and kept my heart rate below 150/155 - also focused on the heat - never doing anything that would make my core temp go too high - if it was super hot, kept and my pace slower and my distance shorter.

Ran until 10 days before my son was born - okay by 8th month it had slowed from 7-8 min miles to 11-12 min miles - I called it "slogging" and I did spinning class just a few days before delivery. Had a very easy delivery (it was my 2nd child) and my doc actually okay'd me to run when I felt ready because I was the only patient he had that ran to her appointments just a few weeks before giving birth ;) I did my first tri - a sprint 4 weeks from the day I gave birth and actually did pretty well - did an oly 9 weeks out (wanted to do a HIM but hubby said NO GO) - and again, had a great race. This May when my son was 14 months old I ended up winning my AG at the Florida HIM/70.3 and qualified for Clearwater - so don't worry, you'll be fine.

One word of warning - be careful when you start running quick paces again post-baby - I was so happy to be free of the 20 extra pounds of baby that I started running fast as soon as possible and my pelvis was still loose from delivery so I ended up whacking out my hips and as a result had severe achilles tendinitis that almost caused a rupture - after PT I'm all better hence the HIM results I mentioned above, but even now I have some Plantar Fasc issues due to the hips - my right hip is now dropped 1/2 inch and rotate back off the axis...Also, you'll need new running shoes, my feet are now a full size larger after 2 kids - 1/2 size with each.

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So.. here we are at 17 Weeks pregnant. I'll give you all an update. I have not had any problems with anything this far along. I am sill working out about 6x a week, running mostly at a MUCH slower pace, about 10 minute miles. (I'm usually at 3:30 marathoner and 12:30ish Ironman'er) AND most importantly, I'm eating pretty healthy and often!

I went to the doc last week and my stats were:

Weight gain = A total of 2 lbs since the beginning of pregnancy. The doctor told me my "goal" for week 20 (in 4 weeks) was to gain 4 more lbs by the visit. She said normally she would like to see the "average" person gain 10 lbs by week 20, but stated that I'm in such good shape right now and coming into the pregnancy that she doesn't think I will be at +10 lbs by the next visit.

Baby's Heart Rate Today = 152. At 12 weeks it was 165. The doc said this will fluctuate.

My Blood Pressure = 98/70

I plan on working out for the remainder of the pregnancy. However, I admit, that I'm going stir crazy not training nearly as hard as I once was. (I know, I'm building a baby...)

I'm already dreaming of what my next athletic endeavor will be. I think a marathon as it is less training for Ironmans.

Ladies, have some of you been able to remain active throughout the whole pregnancy without any problems?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed active through my whole pregnancy, though I stopped running at about 24 weeks b/c it was just too uncomfortable. But I swam almost every day, including 3000M the day I delivered! It really helps to stay fit the whole time. My daughter was healthy at birth and still is today at 2yo. Swimming, biking, and running were some of her first words since she watched her mommy do that so often! :)

Keep up the great work!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi - I'm usually a lurker, and I know this post started a while ago, but I thought I'd try to set peoples' minds at ease re accidentally eating sushi while pregnant. If you've eaten sushi and didn't get sick from it, you've done nothing to harm your baby. The doctors tell you not to eat sushi bcause there's a higher risk that raw seafood will carry listeria or parasites on it, and those can be very harmful to the baby. But if you've eaten it not knowing you were pregnant and nothing happened to you, your baby is almost certainly in the clear. This is a really good article discussing all the things doctors say you're not supposed to eat (and why you're not supposed to eat them): http://www.epicurious.com/...-youre-pregnant.html

I hope that's helpful!
Quote Reply

Prev Next