Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top
Quote | Reply
I am 52, 5.4, 200 lbs, 40G chest, short torso-training for my first Tri the 19th of this month. I have already lost 37 lbs and pretty sure I will not have a significant weight loss before then.

I have ordered and reordered over 15 pair (shorts and tops) and just ordered another 6 today! My problem areas are definitely my stomach and thighs! Most are to tight and LITERALLY constrict my breathing while the others are too loose in the butt area and rub like crazy before I get on the bike! The tops are oversized. Yes, yes, I have tried men shorts and tops, also. I know I will not find a perfect fit at this size, but really?

I am totally frustrated. How does the industry expect big girls to get healthy if we cannot find the proper clothing!

I just found out about this site recently or I would have posted sooner. I met Dan at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center and he told me to check it out!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Time is ticking . . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [3TCSr4L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the weight loss! Finding tri specific clothing is not always easy, no matter the size of the body so do not be discouraged. Are you able to operate in non-tri clothing? If so, Moving Comfort has a nice line of plus size pieces, especially the Endurance Shorts that may work over a swimsuit. Shebeest has tri clothing in plus sizes http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSB_3026P.html.

Last edited by: travelmama: Apr 8, 15 6:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it was an absolute PLEASURE meeting you and your husband, and i hope to see you often when i'm at that pool. a lot of the ladies here will be of help to you, i trust. it will be fun to watch your progress.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My answers depend on how long of a triathlon it is. Since it is your first I'm going to assume it is a sprint or olympic. If you are going longer then you are a badass and you really do need something more tri specific.

It is safe to say you won't find a tri top that will provide the support you need. I never could and I'm smaller than you are. Think about wearing your jog bra under your swim suit and if it makes you move comfortable you can pull a top on over those in T1 or T2.

What do you run in now? If you have comfortable compression shorts there isn't a reason why you'd need to use something else. I don't think a padded crotch is necessary as long as you are used to riding without a pad.

If you can't find tri shorts that fit be sure to spend time in the saddle with your running compression shorts on. You want to be sure your lady bits won't be too sore to run afterwards.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for the encouragement! Checked out the sites and ordered two more! Will let you know how it works out!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMPO- not exactly the post I wanted you to read! Lol lol lol!

You're right, the ladies have already been helpful! Looking forward to more great info!
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMPO- not exactly the post I wanted you to read! Lol lol lol!

You're right, the ladies have already been helpful! Looking forward to more great info!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to add that The North Face Bounce B Gone may be a good bra for your size. I bought a few from girlfriends who are 36dd and 36g. One girl was wearing two bras and only wears once since I gave her the bra. The other thinks it is one of the best sport bras she has ever owned. They both wear size large so I guess it runs a bit large. You may need an xl since you are wider. Own one and love it. Though much smaller than you, I can bounce but not in this bra. Look for it on clearance...I paid about $15 each for them.

Quote | Reply
Thank you! I will certainly check it out. Normally, I get Wacoal Sports Bras from Nordstrom-- and they cost an arm and a leg! I don't mind paying for it because it takes puppy holding to a whole new level!

By the by I love the Andy Gibb- youtube! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing a Tri-Express and a Sprint in Chicago in August. I run in regular jogging shorts. Hopefully, with the ones on order I will find a pair that fits! Thank you so much-by August I should have dropped more weight . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Tri shorts, have you checked out DeSoto? I wear the men's shorts.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, welcome to tri world and the forum! What race are you doing on the 19th?
I was swimming with Slowman last Sunday and overheard a bit of the conversation.
Have you shopped at Team Estrogen? They review every garment, and their customer service is incredible.
http://www.teamestrogen.com/
They are absolutely ruthless with their vendors getting the products exactly right for their customers.
For tri shorts, I'd recommend the Zoot Active 8" tri short, WXXL. It's got a nice wide Yoga style waistband
and a very simple pad plus little pocket for gels or car key.
TE has a great selection of exercise bras, and for a top, you might choose a looser fit mesh type top with a half zip you can put on after you get out of your wetsuit.
Keep us posted on your progress, and keep those questions coming.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend and have worn the Enell Sports Bra (available at the TE site).

It's made by 3 women in Whitefish, Montana who got tired of bras that didn't fit. So, they started their own brand.

Their goal is to literally fit EVERY body for high-impact sport, including mastectomy, etc. If they don't have, they'll make it for a small upcharge.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the weight loss! I'm RD for a beginner womens race (going on 8 years) and this is something that is also a bit of pet peeve of mine as many beginners do struggle with weight and look for reasonable sport clothing while they work towards their goals. I can tell what a few solutions have been for some the ladies over the years.

Shebeast, Team Estrogen, Moving Comfort, mens tri options......but also look outside the sport for outer wear, especially if the race is short. Sometimes places like Academy Sports can offer really economical options that may also be exactly what you are looking for - but not labeled as 'tri' specific. Spin shorts, mountain biking options, rash guard shirts with pockets added.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you find. I'll pass this along to my ladies this summer.

Susan
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [SusanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Susan!

Somehow my SlowTwitch ended up in my junk mail!

I ordered a tri-suit on Amazon - 2XU is the brand. I ordered a 2X and it was too big. I ordered a 1X and it fits perfect. Additonally, I ordered a couple pair of shorts from SheBeast and they too, work well!

Still, it is extremely frustrating! Especially, since I continue to lose weight and the clothing . . . ain't cheap!
Quote Reply
Re: Plus Size Chick looking for Tri Shorts & Top [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello STConcierge,

I found the brand 2XU on Amazon- it works. Also SheBeast met the challenge!

Thank you so much!
Quote Reply