Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by concededpenguin
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
concededpenguin wrote:
Because this forum is primarily for females, it doesn't make sense to me that we are using the antiquated term "women" in the title. I know a lot of you may disagree and not taken womyn's rights seriously. And while I agree that this is a relatively small issue, I think that each step we take toward equality is a good one. We need more strong-willed womyn to help lead us against the patriarchy's oppression.

Just my thoughts. What are yours? This is a safe space.

This is a tough one for me. I understand why some women prefer to use womyn. Really, I get it, sista :) I am 38. I'm not sure what wave of feminist that makes me, but I don't feel drawn to using womyn like some.

I would argue that "The Womens" is cool in its own way and, most importantly, is a safe place where no bs is tolerated. The strong, bad ass Womens who started this forum chose that name; they started it, they named it, and I want to respect that.

That being said, I think it can be a good exercise to reassess, and I'm curious to hear what others have to say. If a consensus to change to Womyns is reached in the forum, I will absolutely roll with that, but I personally like it the way it is.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you hate jonnyo?

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To weigh in or not... yep - but I'll just stick my toes in and not jump in full force. Leave it as.

We are WOMENS hear us roar!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I don't, but you know I'm relatively new around here;)

I know that was his thing, but it was still the Womens' call, ultimately, right?

--------
Last edited by: luckytotri: Feb 28, 13 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally the call of the forum, but it does go to history. Sweet guy that would quite unintentionally mangle English syntax (if you have a few hours to spare go read some of his older posts) - just the issue of being a francophone first, so some nuances of grammer and syntax could be mis-written with often hilarious results. "The Womens" was one of them, and it just became a broadly used catchphrase.

Of course you folk a free to do as you see fit, but the name is something of forum history, just as the Lavender Room was named for Tibbsy.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss a memo somewhere? Will someone educate me on "womyn"? Why is a different word needed & what difference does it make? Does a Y vs an E mean I am less of a chick if I choose to spell it in the preferred & accepted format of the English language? I had to google "womyn" to learn what context it emerged from. I just don't understand what difference it really makes, the name of this portion of the ST forum boards. One could argue that we are MORE than equal already, in that we have a board DEDICATED to our presence, moderated by women & participated in the majority by women. We have our own women-specific products throughout the industry & there are women-specific races all over the country.

I think many in this room, certainly many on the National USAT BOD & my Regional Council, my boss & an unfortunate number of coworkers in a heavily male-dominated field and teammates of varying association will assure you, I'm one of the most outspoken & strong-willed chicks there is. As a member of the USAT National Women's Committee and a member of a Regional Council's Women's Committee I can assure you that there are plenty of strong-willed women engaged in the sport on many levels. There has been a significant & unprecedented increase in the participation and engagement of women in the past 5-6 years in the sport and we are represented at every level of competition and every level of governance that the sport knows.

What about that is unequal? Not to sound too contrite, but if a man DARED have a "boys only, no girls allowed" race he'd get so many bras, tampons & randomly spelled words thrown at him that he would rue the day he ever dared. So, when we're already so "elite" to have our own products, races and forums, how can you POSSIBLY be shooting for "equality"?

If you REALLY want to take women's right's seriously & "lead against the partriarchy's oppression" then you should get involved in the governance of the sport, you should be reaching out to women in your community and engaging newcomers into the sport in an embracing & welcoming way. Help to start a training group, help get a new "women's only" race started, find new ways to decrease whatever oppression you think there is. Re-naming a forum of women that are ALREADY engaged & ALREADY competing is doing nothing but providing Lavendar Room fodder.

Sorry if I'm overly clueless here, or maybe just really insensitive to it because I'm in my early 30s....but there are MUCH bigger priorities. I cry troll.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never seen the spelling "womyn" until now and I think it's silly.
I like womens. Fun jonnyo reference.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forum name won't be changing since it is based on ST history. Read the "Welcome to the Womens Forum" at the top of the page to see why.

I understand the reasoning behind your request but the purpose of this forum isn't to make a feminist statement. It would be a tough sell if that's what you want to change this to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I have never seen the spelling "womyn" until now and I think it's silly."

I hadn't heard that expression since the 1970's when it was coined by a handful of radical feminists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womyn
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

I hadn't heard that expression since the 1970's when it was coined by a handful of radical feminists.

I think that they prefer to be called fembots these days.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The swim team at my undergraduate institution had shorts that said "s'women" on the butt. Those were pretty cool.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, because crappy spelling is definitely the road to equality.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Today my newsfeed is filled with the Westboro Baptist Church protesting at the "Ivy League Whorehouse" that is my alma mater, and the Onion apologizing for calling a 9-year-old girl the "c" word. Perspective, people.
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moderated by women

You mean womens. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The swim team at my undergraduate institution had shorts that said "s'women" on the butt. Those were pretty cool. "

You gals swam in shorts? :-)

That was cool. But maybe a better ring to it if "s'womyn" Or how about "s'womyn womens" :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Or how about "s'womyn womens" :-)

Shorts to wear on deck between events, you goose.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I have never seen the spelling "womyn" until now and I think it's silly.
I like womens. Fun jonnyo reference.

Perfect.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's odd...I always imagined most internet trolls were myn. Huh.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMFAO!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Petition to Change This Forum's Title to the "Womyn's Forum" [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best. Response. Ever.

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit - coffee spewing out the nose hurts... that was funny!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always imagined most internet trolls were myn

Ha ha...ZZZZZZZZZZZZING!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, that was really funny, for sure. You often have really hilarious comments, and you had me at forceful doplhin sex.

It could just be the circles I run in, my age, my town (very, very liberal with one of the highest concentrations of lesbians per capita in the nation) or some combo, but I know a handful of womens who use womyn (my autocorrect is really freaking out right now, btw). I don't think this was a troll, though I'm never sure I totally understand what is and isn't trollish. The womens I know who use this spelling really believe that they don't want to be a part, subset, whatever of men (I think), and it is really an important issue to them.

I don't want to speak for concededpenguin on this one, but I would like to stick up for her a bit. Maybe she really just thought this might be received differently here, and she didn't know the history of The Womens and jonnyo?

--------
Quote Reply

Prev Next