Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal choices
Quote | Reply
I'm posting this here because I fear a flurry of beginner-bashing on the main forum, so forgive me if I'm seeking refuge here.

I've been going back and forth on the merits/value of clipless pedals (again). I have a major love/hate relationship with them, and the idea of them. I like the concept, but I've had some very bad falls wile using clipless pedals (badly dislocated my left knee in 2006, etc.). I didn't ride for almost a year after that, due to being so mentally shaken up by the idea...getting back on them terrified me.

For years, I've been (very happily) using "traditional" toe clips (i.e. cages) on both my roadie and my MTB. Done two duathlons (including an XTERRA du) with no issues, and doing my first tri in two weeks. They're easy for me to get into and out of, and I feel safe and comfortable with them.

I swim sidestroke rather than crawl, and I wear MTB shoes on the bike, so I'm not exactly one to abide by "tradition" (as long as I'm moving forward and I finish, who cares, right?).

Have you ever seen an AGer at an IM event (or any other for that matter) rolling with toe clips?

Thanks for any input!

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choices [fitknight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried egg beater's I use them and they are used on mountain bikes as well, I have found them pretty easy to get to release. As for your question about cages, yes I have seen people use them and if that's what you prefer go for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choices [fembeast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've looked at egg beaters, just never tried them. Traditional SPDs on the roadie (the one I jacked up my knee on) and MTB-specific pedals very briefly on my Rockhopper (resulting in another bad fall) only.

Thanks for the observation on seeing other people using cages. My uncle (an Ironman WC AGer about a decade ago, now mostly doing sprint races) thinks I'm nuts for not going clipless. But he also thinks I'm nuts for getting a "13.1" tattoo when I did my first half marathon, too. ;)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Kentucky, at a full IM, I saw a mountain bike parked in T2. I don't know if the rider finished, but stranger things have happened.

Being comfortable is what really matters, so go for it. After a few thousand miles of IM race preparation, you may have enough confidence to return to a more restrictive pedal system. Until then, enjoy your rides!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the SPD scares you, then maybe clipless is not for you
It's one of the easiest and user-friendly systems out there; cetainly easier to clip-in to than eggbeaters.
My advice is stick with toe-clip cages

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choices [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional input, much appreciated. Basically reaffirms my gut feeling...not a big fan of dislocating my knee again, and this old dog doesn't learn new tricks so well. :)

Thanks!

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have major knee issues (major reconstructive surgery on both my ugly knee's with pins still in both of them), and have really enjoyed using clip-less pedals. I've used SPD, Shimano, Time and Speedplay. The ones that I like the most out of all of those is the speedplays. It WAS the Time RSX ones, until they completely fell apart in catastrophic fashion (nothing left of the left pedal besides just a bit of the spindle).

That all being said, go with what you're comfortable with. For me the speedplays and the SPD's are both super easy to get in and out of, and offer entry on both sides. Good luck figuring out what you're going with! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are comfortable with what you're doing don't worry about being the odd woman out. I've always used Look pedals and I really like the big platform. They're not always the easiest to get out of but I unclip way before I have to stop and never attempt track stands.

And, yes I do believe I've seen people with cages during an IM. There are so many people, you see a bit of everything. My first IM, CDA 2003, there was a woman racing in a white string bikini. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal choices [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
If you are comfortable with what you're doing don't worry about being the odd woman out. I've always used Look pedals and I really like the big platform. They're not always the easiest to get out of but I unclip way before I have to stop and never attempt track stands.

And, yes I do believe I've seen people with cages during an IM. There are so many people, you see a bit of everything. My first IM, CDA 2003, there was a woman racing in a white string bikini. Awesome.

Thanks for the additional support! Though...can I be the odd man out instead? ;)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use campus pedals on a few of my bikes and wear Keen Commuter sandals in the heat because I cannot deal with sweaty feet. What I have works for me and you the same. Do not change what is good.

Quote | Reply
Yep, have seen people doing the bike portion of IMs on bikes equipped with toe cages. Being the odd person out shouldn't worry you too much: there's always someone weirder than you out there on the course. That said, your feet might get pretty hot in anything other than cycling shoes.

Give Speedplays a try. The rotation will help your knees. Once you've gotten over the (short - trust me) learning curve, you'll find clip less pedals safer if you have to get your feet out fast.
Quote Reply