Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peak training and the monthly cycle
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm currently in my peak week before Challenge Penticton - scheduled for 18 hours of swim/bike/run. My monthly started on Sunday, and I am completely exhausted - don't know if I'm pushing into overtraining or if the exhaustion is partly because of the hormone cycle. I'm eating plenty of calories and getting about 9 hours of sleep per night, but I don't have the energy for the key workouts on the plan this week. As you can imagine, this is very worrying, especially for my last long run on Thursday. Any advice or suggestions? Am I just "ironman training tired" and need to push through it, or do I need to rest today and tomorrow so that I can make sure to get in that long run Thursday?

Thanks in advance for any calming words!
Quote Reply
Re: Peak training and the monthly cycle [seaclare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what your iron levels are?

I would set out to do the training, and if you don't feel at all better once you get out to do it, then turn around and come home.

Sometimes when regular old 'ironman tired' you'll start off feeling like utter crap, then have a fantastic workout. If you continue to feel like shit, go home, rest, and be taking those multi's, healthy oils, good food, water, etc. Sleep. Avoid germy people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron!

I mean, also, sometimes you just feel shitty at that time of the month and it's shitty, but it'll be fine and you'll get through the workouts and maybe even do better than expected. But, low iron is a really common problem.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when did the exhaustion start?

creeping on slowly, or growing slowly worse can be iron-related.
Lack of iron prevents a person from recovering, too.

I think a lot of women endurance athletes are affected by low iron....

But maybe if the exhaustion came on suddenly, I might be inclined to think it's something else.

Hang in there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this whole subject is actually used against women not being included in the tour de france. Some people feel women are not able to race for three weeks because of the monthly?
Quote Reply
Re: Peak training and the monthly cycle [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
this whole subject is actually used against women not being included in the tour de france. Some people feel women are not able to race for three weeks because of the monthly?

Ignore this. Just stirring up trouble instead of helping the poster.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Peak training and the monthly cycle [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am not stirring up trouble. i am just stating a comment or theory at has been made about adding women to the tour de france. how is that stirring up trouble? I was insulted that someone would use this against adding a women's event in the tour. and i would hope other women would be offended as well. It's like saying women don't have the strength to run a marathon back in the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Peak training and the monthly cycle [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone. The fatigue built gradually with the build in volume, but just knocked me out this weekend after two long bike rides. I don't know my iron levels, but I'll definitely go get them checked! Thanks for the suggestions!
Quote Reply