Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Panera Bread Kids Menu
Quote | Reply
I usually stop at Panera before I go to swim practice (pool doesn't have open swim till 6 pm) and end up overeating because the portions are so large ... even the smallest "you pick two" comes in at 11 weight watchers points (500 something calories for the smoked turkey & greek salad). I called them this afternoon and they said that an adult can order the kids meals, and swap out the organic frozen yogurt for an apple, and swap out white for whole wheat bread, so a kids' meal turkey and American on whole wheat with an apple comes in at only 280 calories, or 7 points.

FWIW. I never thought to ask them if an adult could order a kids meal.

Anyone else have any good tips on eating at restaurant chains?

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a smart ass but since you are counting points, why not eat at home or at places with items that compliment Weight Watchers?

Quote | Reply
I don't think I've ever been to a place where an adult could not order a kids meal. Now if it's an all you can eat something, I can see that, but if it's set meal, I'm not sure this is so unique.

And 500 calories fro breakfast is not bad. I don't know anything about WW points. That's where you want a large amount of your calories to come from, breakfast.
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's easy enough to count points for almost anything except alcohol (which I don't drink any more). You can look almost all Panera foods up online and get the point values. In fact, I went there before swimming tonight and got that kid's sandwich on whole wheat bread. It was just the right size. I don't much like schlepping leftovers home. Next time, though, I'm going to hold the slice of American cheese and get it with lettuce, tomato, and onion, no mayo. That would bring the points down to five, which isn't bad at all for a nice turkey sandwich on a good bread. I cook almost everything else at home, or pack it to work. So I enjoy going out between work and swimming workout and have a little break with some healthy food. And their coffee is pretty good, too.

I'd love to hear how other Womens tweak the menu to make healthier food choices when going out to eat. Maybe it's really nerdy, but thinking about it beforehand does save calories, and it all adds up over time. Some places are utterly hopeless. Starbucks, for example. There's absolutely nothing there that fits in my point range. It's absurd.

~~ kate
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Oct 15, 12 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some places are utterly hopeless. Starbucks, for example. There's absolutely nothing there that fits in my point range. It's absurd.

Cake pop?

Joking aside, skinny latte?

My restaurant tip is the one everyone knows: dressing on the side, let everyone else eat the bread/butter...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
It's easy enough to count points for almost anything except alcohol (which I don't drink any more). You can look almost all Panera foods up online and get the point values. In fact, I went there before swimming tonight and got that kid's sandwich on whole wheat bread. It was just the right size. I don't much like schlepping leftovers home. Next time, though, I'm going to hold the slice of American cheese and get it with lettuce, tomato, and onion, no mayo. That would bring the points down to five, which isn't bad at all for a nice turkey sandwich on a good bread. I cook almost everything else at home, or pack it to work. So I enjoy going out between work and swimming workout and have a little break with some healthy food. And their coffee is pretty good, too.

I'd love to hear how other Womens tweak the menu to make healthier food choices when going out to eat. Maybe it's really nerdy, but thinking about it beforehand does save calories, and it all adds up over time. Some places are utterly hopeless. Starbucks, for example. There's absolutely nothing there that fits in my point range. It's absurd.

~~ kate

Starbucks is OK if you stick to black coffee and the roasted almonds.

The Jason's deli turkey rueben is 450 cals, which is not bad for a work lunch.

I prefer leftovers from home and fruit, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the pick 2 from Panera frequently, but the portion size is too large for me. I typically get the soup and salad. I will eat the soup for lunch, then a couple of hours later eat the salad. I have never had any issue with the salad going bad and I typically just leave it sitting on my desk.
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [StephB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starbucks Greek Yogurt with Honey Parfait is only 300 or 350 cal. Dump out the granola and it's even less. Unfortunately, they don't have it in the SBs in bumf**k Tennessee.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know about the Greek yogurt. Thanks. Didn't know Bux carried it. I stay away from that big glass case with all the good stuff in it. Agreed on the tall skinny caramel latte, one of the best deals in town, comes in at a mere 2 points. Booya! Unforch, they insist on sweetening their chai, which would also be a good one with skim milk, but alas, no. They even changed over their soy distributor, and now their soy milk is all sweetened with that HFCS stuff. If it weren't for the free sugar-free caramel syrup (a power food), I'd turn in my gold card.

~~ k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Starbucks I pretty much always get an 8oz drink unless it's iced tea.

Eating out is tough, I pretty much try and stick to soup and salads.

I've been counting points too and have lost 10 pounds in the last few months. Woot!
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOW! That's awesome! I've totally fallen off the wagon on the points counting. Now that I'm working out regularly I need to get back on that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to order from the child's menu a lot if I'm doing takeout. It's essentially the size we should be eating. If I'm at some chain restaurant, I usually ask for extra veggies and leave the starch off. Even if it's rice bc they really have a way to add fat to stuff like you wouldn't believe. And if it's a salad or sandwich of some sort, I ask for it to be deconstructed. Basically order as much as possible with nothing on it/on the side and put it together yourself. You get strange looks but it is what it is.
Oh, and for races.... I try to make sure I stay at places that have mini fridges and microwaves. I cook all my food and bring it with me. That way I control every last thing I put in my body pre-race.

Susan Harrell
http://www.endurancezone.com

Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I was reading this & thinking...what the??? I've NEVER heard of this....

Obviously....as I live in said place....uncultured goons.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Ha! I was reading this & thinking...what the??? I've NEVER heard of this....

Obviously....as I live in said place....uncultured goons.

Tis true....

I've emailed SB HQ to ask pretty please bring Greek yogurt here.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Panera Bread Kids Menu [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Erin, I found your 10lbs - they're stapled to my butt. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply