Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Of Interest: ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad
Quote | Reply
http://www.acsm-msse.org/.../media/mss200785.pdf

That link will give you the PDF for the article. It is technical but a very good and informative read for anyone who suffers from any level of bone loss, disordered eating/eating disorder, and or amenhorrhea.

The Female Athlete Triad (why on earth did they have to name this something for which the acronym spells 'FAT' - irony is a cruel thing, but I digress) used to be defined as eating disorder + amenhorrea + osteoporosis. The opposite would be normal eating habits, normal menses, normal bone density. However, they found that many, many women like somewhere between the two.

The new model, then, is a triangular prism and thus is a spectrum from normal to really and truly 'sick.' Much better way to represent it.

Technical but if it's something that effects you, worth the read.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Of Interest: ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was quite an interesting read.
Quote Reply
Re: Of Interest: ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad [janini9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
told ya ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Of Interest: ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump for another poster

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I didn't get through all 16 pages, so I may have missed this, but it seems that the triad is not unique to athletes. It could be manifested in any young woman with an eating disorder. So doctors or any health professional should be on the lookout for the triad in any overly thin young woman and work with her to correct it.

I imagine that we tend to think of athletes as healthy, so the extremes that lead to a disease process, rather than improved health are easily overlooked. In one of my online journals, it was pointed out that only about 1/3rd of doctors could name the 3 features of the triad. Giving a name, albeit not the best one, to this and bringing it to the attention of health care professionals will hopefully allow earlier diagnosis and intervention to the young woman who are at risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Of Interest: ACSM Position Stand on the Female Athlete Triad [roadie gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Honestly, I didn't get through all 16 pages, so I may have missed this, but it seems that the triad is not unique to athletes. It could be manifested in any young woman with an eating disorder. So doctors or any health professional should be on the lookout for the triad in any overly thin young woman and work with her to correct it. "

true, and true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump for scrumhalfgirl!

Quote Reply