Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bike, No Crank (I Just Need to Vent)
Quote | Reply
*Begin Vent Session*

I just got a new road bike (Jamis Xenith Pro) because I'm joining a road racing team (which I'm totally excited about). Anyway, it came decked out with Dura-Ace, except for the crank, which is an FSA SLK Light. I pulled the crank immediately so I can sell it on ebay, and bought a "new" DA crank on ebay. So my crank came, and I put it on my bike, and the threads for the left pedal are stripped. Actually, they're not just stripped, their gone. It's like someone tried to put the right pedal on the left crankarm. The guy who sold it to me told me he thinks I'm trying to "scam him" and filed a dispute on paypal. Now I'm out $200 for at least a month while paypal "investigates" the claim. Luckily my wonderful mom is letting me use the crankset off her bike until this all gets worked out.

So... Here's what I learned... when buying "new" parts off ebay, buy them from a bike shop, not an individual seller. And inspect parts completely the second they arrive. Luckily my soon-to-be lawyer sister was present when I installed the crankset, and will back me up with paypal, and also we all know that she can't lie about anything or she'll have to disclose it on her bar application :)

BE CAREFUL ON EBAY!!!

*End Vent Session*
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, No Crank (I Just Need to Vent) [Lucy!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sucks!! I know you were excited about the new steed.

I've even been scammed by a bike shop on eBay. Sold me a saddle they said was brand new in the box and it turned out it was used in the shop on one of the display bikes. They didn't admit to it being test ridden but I could tell from the scratches on the rail that it was slid back and forth on the seatpost.

Sometimes, for expensive stuff, it is worth going to the LBS.

Sick your sister on them, she'll kick their ass!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LUCY,

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience on Ebay..

But, are you an online Ebay bike shop? If not, you just recommended that people not buy from you either..

As a person who has been selling on Ebay for almost 10 years, I can attest to the fact that there are honest, quality sellers on Ebay.
I am one of them. I have over 15,000 positive feedbacks.
I take pride in my items and customer service is my number one priority. My feedback reflects that..

Dishonest sellers are not the norm on Ebay. And there are fantastic deals to be had, from reputable, individual sellers. Not just Ebay bike shops.

Just do the research on your seller. Read their feedback, become familair with their return policy..

Bad sellers do not fair well on Ebay and hopefully the person you bought your crank from will stand behind their product and take it back for a full refund. That would be the right thing to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a set of D/A 170's in the classifieds, 200$.

You would probably have better luck buying here than on ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, No Crank (I Just Need to Vent) [sprtymama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, sprtymama, I was just so upset. I should have said to do research rather than discriminate against some sellers. This man, however, had 100% positive feedback (I don't buy unless they do), so I was feeling totally taken advantage of. I guess the really important thing is to inspect parts thoroughly the second they arrive, in case you're being scammed like I was. My crankset sat in a box for a week before my bike arrived, so I didn't find the problem until I had already given positive feedback to the buyer for his fast shipment.

Trickydick, thanks for the update, but unfortunately I can't buy anything until I get my money back. When I do see my money, I think I'll be EP'ing one from Shimano instead of risking any more problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it may not be the case here, many times despite high feedback ratings, some times are simply 'consignment' brokers and may have no first hand knowledge of the items that are being posted for sale. In this case, for a pedal insert to be stripped smooth, well that would be difficult to miss before posting to auction but you should also consider the fact that FSA has had issues with the threaded pedal insert comming unbonded/loose (happoened to me) so you might want to investigate the avenue as well.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike, No Crank (I Just Need to Vent) [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, I won the claim! Yay! I'll be getting my refund any day now (hopefully before rent's due).

Second, It was a dura ace crankset, not FSA, and he was the original owner, claiming that he put pedals in, took them out, and decided to get a compact crankset instead. All the mechanics at the shop said the same thing... Looked like he tried to thread a right pedal into the left crankarm.

Oh well, it's over now, and I ordered a new one through Shimano's EP program. Should be here by Monday. In the meantime, I'll spend a little quality time with my old steel bike :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lucy,

If you strike out with e-bay, that crank can be repaired if the hole isn't enlarged too much by putting a threaded insert into the hole. Tandems East used to offer the service, although I couldn't find it on their website:

http://www.tandemseast.com/

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply