Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Motobecane Gigi Pro & bikesdirect.com
Quote | Reply
This is me: New road rider, one time sprint triathlete, 3 more to go this season, BOP/MOP looking for a road bike for 1K or less (have hybrid).

Anyone ever purchase from BikesDirect.com? I know I can't ride it before I buy but I can return it for full refund (less my return shipping). I can get this 09 Motobecane Gigi Pro made with far superior components for the same price I can get a Trek 1.2 or Specialized Dolce...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/...obecane/gigi_pro.htm

I know everyone talks about fit but there aren't that many options for decent road bikes in my price range(1K), it seems to be either Trek, Specialized or Giant, and the fit doesn't feel that dramatically different on each. I guess maybe because I'm fairly new to road riding? But in anycase is there really a big risk ordering online at this level as long as I am following their fit recommendations? My boyfriend is great with bikes and can't true a wheel, bleed breaks etc. so he can put it together (just attaching handle bars, tires and seat to frame)

And, can't I take it to a LBS to have the bike specially fitted to me once I get it or will the only work on brand their shop sells?
Quote Reply
Re: Motobecane Gigi Pro & bikesdirect.com [Playwithzoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we talk about "fit", we're really talking about frame size. If you know your frame size (measured in cm) then you should be OK with an online purchase. There is quite a bit of adjustability with stems, seat post height and fore/aft saddle adjustment to make it fit to suit you.

Any LBS will happily do a bike fit for you for their fee, but they might quietly be a bit ticked that you didn't purchase from them had you been talking to them previously about their offerings.

"My boyfriend is great with bikes"

Honestly, leave the boyfriend at home. He means well but is probably not nearly as bike competent as you believe. Just ask anybody who works in a bike shop. The female purchaser who brings along the "boyfriend" is a standing LBS joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Motobecane Gigi Pro & bikesdirect.com [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Honestly, leave the boyfriend at home. He means well but is probably not nearly as bike competent as you believe. Just ask anybody who works in a bike shop. The female purchaser who brings along the "boyfriend" is a standing LBS joke.
That's so funny, my bf seems to think a lot of the bike shop guys don't know shit and are asses, (although he is very polite and basically let's them do the talking) what's up with that dynamic! But, I know his limitations and am in sales myself so kinda know how to deal w/bike shop guys too. In fact he really thinks I should buy from a bike shop and not online so he clearly does have respect. I just donno what to do. I could get a bike with Shimano 105s or better online for the same price as a Specialized Dolce or Trek 1.2 with Sora but not from as reputable bike manufacturers.
Last edited by: Playwithzoe: Aug 8, 09 21:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some good advantages of dealing with a LBS as long as they are competent and treat you right. However in my case living in a rural area I don't have an LBS option, so my purchases are mostly online. You save money buying online but you have to become more consumer savy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I bought from bikesdirect.com a few years ago when I was a new rider. Good experience. Bike was brand new and came almost fully assembled. Mine was a steel framed Winston or Leeds(I think). I think I paid like $300 delivered. The bike got me out there and familiarized until I was able to ascertain whether I liked riding or not. I took it to a bike shop and paid basic tune up money(~$60) to have it made ready to ride.

Quote | Reply
Try looking on craigslist or local ads for something nice used. I recently sold a Kestrel 200ems all Ultregra with Velomax wheels for 950.00. Woman who got it, has a real nice bike that will outperform something over twice the price. Start by knowing exactly your frame size, ESPECIALLY top tube length.
Quote Reply