Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Menopause and Ironman Training
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies,
I am quite certain this issue has been discussed, but since it never really pertained to me, I was not very interested. Well, now it pertains to me. I am training for IMLP in July and I am doing a reasonable amount of training... 15-16 hours a week. My real training has not even started yet, according to my dear husband. The problem is that I am barely sleeping. I wake up every couple of hours in a horrible sweat... not just a few drops but buckets of sweat. It is totally disgusting. Does anyone have any tips to offer? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Ironman Training [Sancon7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two choices as far as I know; either suffer until hot flashes and night sweats eventually stop in a few years or replace them. Estrogen gets you going and progesterone helps you relax and recover (sleep). Talk to your MD and be prepared for a few months to a year of trying to titrate what dosage is right for you, especially during heavy training.

Bio-identical seems like a more natural alternative. I have had wonderful results and still continue. They also help your sex drive in addition to sleep ;-)

Wag More, Bark Less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My night sweat volume has ramped up a lot in the past year, as I'm transitioning out of peri into full-blown menopause. Not too much that can be done outside of medical intervention. I try to limit my activity so I'm done any training at least 2 hours before bedtime (can be difficult, since I am not a morning person). I also have a cooling mattress pad, a cooling memory foam pillow, cool sheets and a ceiling fan that runs all night. Except for the extra laundry, it's reallly not affecting me too much, since I have to get up at least once in the middle of every night to pee anyway. Speaking of, I am much more concerned about the peeing issue, since the urgency and frequency have both gotten significantly more intense in the past year. I know I can pee in the water and on the bike, but running????
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Ironman Training [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been there; done that, including on the run.

Just make sure you have enough water to give yourself a mini-shower after you're done. And be ready to change ASAP when the event is over ;-)

Wag More, Bark Less
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little late to the conversation...

Have you read ROAR? She write about menopause and athletes. You might want to give a read and has lots of other great info in the book as well.

Here's a link to a review I did on the book. https://www.inspiretransform50.com/...We-are-not-small-men
Quote Reply