Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [Giantsquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giantsquid wrote:
happyscientist wrote:
I just look at them and say, "don't be an asshole".

Ha! I have to try this.

My girlfriend has the exact same problem, Giantsquid (we're in NYC too). She rides with headphones in but despite that she'll still get some commentary. She's a bartender so by comparison, central park is a cakewalk, but happyscientist's advice seems about right
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
I often wonder, too, how often guys give unsolicited advice to other guys

Very rarely
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I wonder how often it happens the other way around? You know, guys getting pestered about their bike fit or cadence or hand entry or catch?

in my forty-plus years of swimming, biking and running.. never seen it.

remember Rebecca Solnit's mansplaining article, read it and was amazed.

twitter has been a real education for me in revealing privilege..

https://twitter.com/...s/775779051810197505

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
AndyPants wrote:
I wonder how often it happens the other way around? You know, guys getting pestered about their bike fit or cadence or hand entry or catch?

in my forty-plus years of swimming, biking and running.. never seen it.

My favorite lines from this:
" But explaining men still assume I am, in some sort of obscene impregnation metaphor, an empty vessel to be filled with their wisdom and knowledge. A Freudian would claim to know what they have and I lack, but intelligence is not situated in the crotch -- even if you can write one of Virginia Woolf's long mellifluous musical sentences about the subtle subjugation of women in the snow with your willie."

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:

Excellent article, thanks for sharing. I can't believe I hadn't seen it yet.

Also, recently: Don't mansplain physics to a female astronaut

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Midtown Miles: Sep 14, 16 6:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in climbing gyms,

http://www.outsideonline.com/...erience-climbing-gym

Sixty-four percent of women who took the survey said they felt uncomfortable, insulted, or dismissed at some point during their training, as opposed to 29 percent of men. “Ultimately [climbing] suffers from the same sexist shit that exists in other parts of society,” one woman wrote in the survey. “When I climb with other female friends, we often get treated very differently, whether we're condescended to, ignored, or hit on.”

Runner's World just ran a similar survey from their website, I do not expect different results.. hm.
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [Giantsquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
: )
http://
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This climbing gym article really hits home. Prior to being a triathlete I was a climber and if anything, it's worse in climbing gyms. It is probably typical to all male-dominated sports (read: most sports), and for now may just be one of the pitfalls of being a female athlete in a predominantly male athletic world.

Since posting this, I've begun wearing earbuds (even without anything playing, just to have something in my ears to deter conversation) on bike rides AND in the pool and it's made a substantial difference. It hasn't completely eliminated the problem, though. To the (likely well-intentioned, but) overly-talkative men of the triathlon world: please let me work out in peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I often wonder, too, how often guys give unsolicited advice to other guys as often as they feel the need to give unsolicited advice to a woman. (Do I look like I want your help, buddy?)

Here in the mid atlantic area on the east coast, happens all the time ! It is ungodly annoying. I am surrounded by experts on EVERYTHING

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giantsquid wrote:
This climbing gym article really hits home. Prior to being a triathlete I was a climber and if anything, it's worse in climbing gyms. It is probably typical to all male-dominated sports (read: most sports), and for now may just be one of the pitfalls of being a female athlete in a predominantly male athletic world.
Since posting this, I've begun wearing earbuds (even without anything playing, just to have something in my ears to deter conversation) on bike rides AND in the pool and it's made a substantial difference. It hasn't completely eliminated the problem, though. To the (likely well-intentioned, but) overly-talkative men of the triathlon world: please let me work out in peace.

Swimming is pretty much 50/50 among all ages these days and, if anything, there are more female than male swimmers. At the end of 2015, USA Swimming had about 56.5% girls and 43.5% boys in their roughly 337,000 year-round swimmers. As a swimmer since age 5 who has watched literally 1000s of adults try to swim, I will occasionally ask a guy or girl if they would like advice. Generally they say yes but 1 or 2 have said no, out of maybe 20 to whom I offered advice in my adult swimming years. I offer advice ONLY if I've seen the swimmer in the pool at least 10-15 times such that we are on at least a "how's it going" basis, and IF I can see something really wrong with their stroke. Not sure if I've offered advice to more women than men but think the breakdown is pretty even. Actually, I rarely offer advice any more b/c most people simply do not seem to be capable of changing their strokes beyond maybe one length of the pool, and then it's back to their old habits. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
I often wonder, too, how often guys give unsolicited advice to other guys !

Never

I just give the head nod when out on the bike and passing opposite directions, I'll say good morning if I'm passing the same direction, sometimes a chat about races coming up. I don't critique peoples gear or training methods, although if i find myself riding with randoms i meet on the road and having a chat and they have a sweet bike I'll say so.
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It happened to me last week when I was out riding with some acquaintances and an older man joined our group when he could not keep up with the roadies he'd started out with. It didn't take him long to start explaining to me how drafting works. Then he probably wondered why attempts at conversation went nowhere after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Swedes are here to help!

https://www.theguardian.com/...otline-swedish-union
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giantsquid wrote:
have a nice bike,

Whats wrong with you have a nice bike? I would say that to anyone. Man or woman. If I liked their bike...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Men giving unsolicited advice on the bike - help! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would always be kind and embrasse them. It is the best way to show that you are on top.
Kindness is the only way to deal with people like that.
I have tried the same several times. Men often comment on my bike as I have a 2012 Team Sky Tour bike. I always smile!

https://bookanaut.com/...elspore_ondt_haelen/
-----
AnneB
Quote Reply

Prev Next