Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Men and Turnoffs
Quote | Reply
Does this ever happen to you?

I ride to and from work and errands. Sometimes when I pass men going at my regular pace, they will speed up to try to pass me back, even it gives them a heart attack? And then, when they finally catch me, they suddenly turn off the bike path.

Do you think it's the ponytail out the back of my helmet that eggs them on?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, girl, talk about a thread with potential! This may inspire me to break my post/day record;)

And hells-to-the-yes it's your ponytail.

You really shouldn't do that to their fragile little egos:)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup - it's the pony tail.
So many stories, but not to bore you. I think men, generally, just can't handle when a woman does better than them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But your thread title made me think of other 'turnoffs' men have. haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what it made me think too, hence the potential. Ooooooh, I feel a thread highjack coming on. Really, talk about a goldmine.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my closest proximate connection between "men" and "turnoff."

I have been married to the Marine for 13 years now. Understand that I love him dearly. Nobody has your back like a Marine has your back. Nevertheless, I still HATE nose hairs. Why oh why do you have to remind the Marine to do something about his nose hairs? And why oh why, every single time, does he tell you that his nose-hair-machine is broken? Please, honey, buy another nose-hair-machine. (WTF is a nose-hair-machine, anyway?)

Would you rather I didn't tell you about your nose-hairs and then you could let them grow long enough to braid them?

Random nose-hair-factor = turnoff to an otherwise fine specimen of semper fi. :)

~~ k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've learned to never, ever say anything (even 'good morning') to a guy I'm passing on the bike. I used to be stupid enough to do this in races (nothing dissy, just chatter about conditions or whatever). They will bleed from the eyeballs to catch you.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:

Damn it, I've been patiently waiting (like a whole two hours here people!) for some other Womens to take this thread where it so desperately wants to go, but y'all are leaving me no choice.

Turn-offs:

Whistling
Wearing/using a Bluetooth
Talking on a cell phone in a line
Pants that are too short or too high waisted (picky, picky, picky)
Anything resembling meathead
Anything resembling preppy—step away from the boat shoes, man.
Obviously ironed clothes, unless in a suit and tie
Men in packs
Anything that looks high maintenance, excessive hygiene, grooming, etc.
Anything effeminate (but I don’t dig girlie girls either)
Soft hands that look like they don’t do work—ewww.
Offering unsolicited advice
Making the mistake/assumption that what they’re doing is more important/valuable than what I’m doing—sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t, but it’s a token dude thing to overvalue their time and underestimate a woman’s.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had them, when they finally catch up to me, start trying to chat me up. One time this guy goes, 'Hey, hey, hey.' And, I'm like yeah... He says, "Are you married?"

Um, wtf.

So, I mostly just avoid anyone on bike rides, even if I have to slam on the brakes and let them go by.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHAHA ok

tuneless whistling
making stupid handsignals like 3rd base coach instead of just saying what he wants
patterned undergarments
smelling like hand creme
combover (duh just shave it)
talking over the documentary because he knows more than the narrator
asking about my day on the way to someplace to save his day for the sit-down
wearing an apron
ultrashort running shorts
black running socks
leaving a puddle 'o sweat below the spin bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the man's point of view.... sadly a large % of men do feel 'threatened' by a faster female. It is ridiculous but that is how they feel and then act stupidly.

My view is that there is always someone faster and someone slower. Just do your thing and leave everyone else alone.

Also, men do this behavior with other men too. I hate riding with other guys who always have to be a wheel length ahead or a step ahead. My practice is to stop riding or running with the jerks, just not worth the 'victory' for go ahead of them on a training ride that is supposed to be fun.

Edit:
I just realized my entire post might be a turnoff. Sorry..I will be quiet now.
John
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Mar 11, 13 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll play...

• stupidity
  • too much make up (or just generally too much fake-ness)
  • man hands
  • being taller than me (yup, I am like that)
  • weighing more than me (I keep myself in decent shape, you should too)
  • unable to accept own faults/mistakes (you screwed up, just admit it!)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
From the man's point of view.... sadly a large % of men do feel 'threatened' by a faster female. It is ridiculous but that is how they feel and then act stupidly.

My view is that there is always someone faster and someone slower. Just do your thing and leave everyone else alone.

Also, men do this behavior with other men too. I hate riding with other guys who always have to be a wheel length ahead or a step ahead. My practice is to stop riding or running with the jerks, just not worth the 'victory' for go ahead of them on a training ride that is supposed to be fun.

Edit:
I just realized my entire post might be a turnoff. Sorry..I will be quiet now.
John

There was nothing about your post that was "turn-offy". You sound very reasonable, always appreciated.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I'll play...

• stupidity
  • too much make up (or just generally too much fake-ness)
  • man hands
  • being taller than me (yup, I am like that)
  • weighing more than me (I keep myself in decent shape, you should too)
  • unable to accept own faults/mistakes (you screwed up, just admit it!)

I like it that you're so willing to play over here, BLeP. I think that--and your "pretty" shoes--suggest you're very confident with your manliness. I think the taller than thing is kinda natural. I like to have a nice size difference between me and my man--maybe that's just kinda human?

Explain "man hands" to me. Tell me, in your mind, what makes them "man hands" and don't just give me the, they look like a guys. I want specifics.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, this happens to me many times. I enjoy watching them work hard to pass me. If they continue on the path, I can eventually catch them most times and comfortably pass them.

The only man I'm okay with passing me is my husband.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another perspective: I was out yesterday riding around with my husband and saw a roadie come through the traffic circle up ahead, going the same direction we were. He went through about 20 seconds before we reached the traffic circle, sprinting out of the saddle, but I whipped up my tempo a little, pushing as hard as I could to see if I could catch this guy on his road racing rig anyway.

On my 19 year old steel mountain bike.

With 2.4" knobby tires.

And a rusty chain.

Did I ever believe I had a chance? Nope. But I still chased, because riding fast and pushing hard is FUN!

Maybe it's not about you after all..

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
One of my USAT roles is a Race Official (Referee). Often Part of my pre race briefing goes like this. " I also have one non- Official rule I would like to chat about.. Sometimes I call this the Woman's rule. So ladies you are racing along and then a guy kills himself to go by you - and what happens next? ( then most women shout out something like - he slows down!!!!) - So then I introduce my MAMIL rule - Middle Aged Men in Lycra.... yep they will kill them selves to pass then slow down but you must exit the zone to the rear when passed...

Usually get quite a giggle.

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mansplanation: Explaining something fairly simple because they think you don't understand or already know about what they are explaining. Love my hubby, but he sometimes does this and it can make me a bit nutty.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try passing a guy as a runner.

I'll never forget a race I did in 2005/2006 time frame. I was going back and forth with a guy at the tail end of a oly. I'd surge past, he'd chase me down, etc. With about a quarter mile left I decided there was no way in HELL this guy was going to beat me so I threw down every last bit of speed I had and passed him one last time. I heard him squeak and try to catch me. He failed. I pretty much collapsed when I crossed but turned around just in time to see him finish about 20 seconds after me. He at first shot me the stink-eye then we laughed and hugged, thanking each other for pushing so hard.

I find it really motivating to chase guys down. Toward the end of a race I pick a rabbit and work my ass off to catch him. I'm usually successful and love the looks I get when I run past. Keep in mind I'm usually BOP so it is additionally insulting to these guys that they just got beat by ANOTHER girl.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
Mansplanation: Explaining something fairly simple because they think you don't understand or already know about what they are explaining. Love my hubby, but he sometimes does this and it can make me a bit nutty.

AHAHAHAHAAAAAA. Yes. So true. I get mansplained to every day. The newest tactic is repeating what the mansplainer said to me, back to him, in a question "Did you really just tell me how to rotate my handlebars?" accompanied by the most scornful, incredulous voice I can muster. The subsequent squirm is pretty excellent. Highly recommend.

Turn-off: During lap swim. I'm doing 200-300yd repeats and some dude makes a point of waiting for me to flip turn, then pushes off at the same time, thrashing wildly "racing" me to the next end. Shut that shit down. Real fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hence, I will never understand 'all-women's' races. Seems like a lost opportunity to me... chasing down people is fun, no matter what gender they are!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
nad wrote:

Damn it, I've been patiently waiting (like a whole two hours here people!) for some other Womens to take this thread where it so desperately wants to go, but y'all are leaving me no choice.

Turn-offs:

Whistling
Wearing/using a Bluetooth
Talking on a cell phone in a line
Pants that are too short or too high waisted (picky, picky, picky)
Anything resembling meathead
Anything resembling preppy—step away from the boat shoes, man.
Obviously ironed clothes, unless in a suit and tie
Men in packs
Anything that looks high maintenance, excessive hygiene, grooming, etc.
Anything effeminate (but I don’t dig girlie girls either)
Soft hands that look like they don’t do work—ewww.
Offering unsolicited advice
Making the mistake/assumption that what they’re doing is more important/valuable than what I’m doing—sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t, but it’s a token dude thing to overvalue their time and underestimate a woman’s.

I already complained about this in a different thread, but removing his shirt during a co-ed workout. Especially when the physique isn't exactly Chippendale!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"when I pass men going at my regular pace, they will speed up to try to pass me back, "

Not a problem with me because no woman would ever be fast enough to pass me in the first place.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
black running socks

Are black running socks really that bad? Pretty much all my runs are trail runs so if I only wore white socks pretty soon I'd just have a bunch of reddy brown socks with white-ish tops...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think height of the socks is critical. Just over the ankle is OK. Anything half way up the shin or higher, not so good. The only exception may be black compression socks but that is heavily dependent on who is attached to said compression socks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply

Prev Next