BTW
I am a 46n YO IM and 1/2 IM triathlete
take synthroid, BCP, and my BFF Wellbutrin

thanks

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [trichic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several years ago I had my blood checked and it was 0. I didn't think that was possible! I used a cream for a while and felt better. I've stopped using it. This is a good reminder to get check again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ooh, I need to get some of that cream! I didn't know it came in a cream.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your doctor just needs to call it in to a compounding pharmacy.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the cream from a compounding pharmacy. On my second month for same thing. I also noticed I was working out and seeing no muscles developing in my legs.
I pay 40/month. With the improvements in how I am feeling and training -beginning this fourth week of treatment- I will gladly continue paying 40 -not much more than I spend on some of my vitamins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
digging this up a year later. the never-ending hormone shitshow that is almost menopause continues...

i tested a big fat zero on T like 2 weeks ago, 4 days after IMTX (of which I DNF'ed due to feeling like complete and total ass, and some back problems). i guess i know why i felt so bad there (normal HR, but felt like I was working super hard to ride at 145BPM). i never felt i had recovered from my training, even with 2 weeks almost completely off. i just kept chalking up my lack of recovery for the past 5 months to aging, as I'm almost 49. My T went from a 12 on my December test to a 0 in June (normal range is 8-48).

i was re-tested again this AM just to rule out "training stress" that might have skewed the test in May.

doing Boise tomorrow, but i am not hopeful because i still feel like ass. just riding 7 miles to work I was huffing and puffing like a fish outta water. fuckety fuck fuck fuck.

MENOPAUSE SUCKS!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes it does, but it's not forever. Looking backward, I view my menopause (which lasted about 18 months) as one very long bout of flu, with fits of crying and sweating instead of sneezing and coughing. But you'll settle out. Once you do, you can build on that platform and get increasingly stronger again. If you're stubborn enough to keep training while your body adjusts, (and go temporarily blind to your interim results, which will likely suck) you'll kill it once you're clear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how you are doing? I was out there yesterday to, in Boise, it was a rough day! Hope you hung in there!

Re: Low testosterone [tridana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was a big mistake to attempt Boise Saturday. I knew I felt bad, but man, I was tired about half way thru the swim. And got dropped by the group in the last 400 yards. The bike was an abject shitshow. I simply had ZERO power, and I literally could not breathe anytime my HR went above 155. I stopped on the gravel pit hill on Pleasant Valley and decided to drop out, but the stubborn bitch in me wanted to ride some more, so I soft pedaled it to the turnaround and then pulled off course and took Fed. Way back to 8th street to cheer on some friends.

It was the most humilating ride of my life. I just wanted a giant sinkhole to appear and swallow me up to avoid the humiliation of being passed by everyone, their mother and their dog. I have been feeling a level of exhaustion I didn't know possible. Sleeping 10 hours a night and still feeling wrecked and lethargic. Almost as bad as when I had mono in HS.

New bloodwork should be back today. I was planning on starting my Vegas buildup this week, but not going to even attempt it until I get some answers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sorry you felt humiliated, but it sounds like you made a good decision health-wise! It was brutal out there...I can't even imagine. I was whining because I was sick the previous week with the flu, but it is nothing compared to what you are going through. Rest up and kick some Ass in Vegas!!

Quote | Reply
I'm going through the same WTF is my body doing now stuff as you, and can thoroughly empathize. Sorry the day went so poorly. I hope you get your answers. Keep us posted.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friday's, test results came back with a Free T4 of .02. Essentially nothing.

Today I went in for more bloodwork as my doc is baffled by this, and I started the cream. I went to see about applying for a TUE from USADA. I was shocked and upset to find out that you cannot get a TUE for T for women. These numbnuts state that there are "other" treatment options for women avaible, but don't bother to say what they are, and my endo has nothing else to go on.

Anyhow, I guess I don't need a TUE for couch surfing, because I still am so tired, dizzy and weak, I can barely move. Fun times. Hoping the new bloodwork tells me something...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So does that mean that any woman who is prescribed T can't race? That sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to consider getting your doc to do a test for MTHFR chromosomal defect. The fix is a daily subcutaneous shot of methylated B-12. I also take a methylated version of B-6. It will work wonders if that's what you've got. There's a lot of info out there on it now if you want to google it. Turns out I'd been unable to process regular B-12 my whole life. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine did.

PS -- regular bloodwork for B-12 won't uncover the problem. The B-12 levels in the blood have nothing to do with whether your cells are genetically able to use the B-12. I'd gone my whole life believing that if my B-12 blood level was normal, I was good to go. NOT.

~~ kate

ps I think my ins. covered the cost of the test.

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a woman but I was also diagnosed with hypogonadism after my IM and was prescribed AndroGel.

I didn't use it because I know it would be the wrong thing to do. I hope you can see me as a role model and imitate what I have done.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sto wrote:
Friday's, test results came back with a Free T4 of .02. Essentially nothing.

Today I went in for more bloodwork as my doc is baffled by this, and I started the cream. I went to see about applying for a TUE from USADA. I was shocked and upset to find out that you cannot get a TUE for T for women. These numbnuts state that there are "other" treatment options for women avaible, but don't bother to say what they are, and my endo has nothing else to go on.

Anyhow, I guess I don't need a TUE for couch surfing, because I still am so tired, dizzy and weak, I can barely move. Fun times. Hoping the new bloodwork tells me something...

I haven't had mine tested since it was 0 but I've been doing maca root lately - check my thread titled "hot flashes" or something like that. Weird is I'm back to bleeding (but kinda nonstop with ocassional 2 day patches of no blood, but have absolutely ZERO menopause symptoms.

Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [jxj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jxj wrote:
I'm not a woman but I was also diagnosed with hypogonadism after my IM and was prescribed AndroGel.

I didn't use it because I know it would be the wrong thing to do. I hope you can see me as a role model and imitate what I have done.

Thank you.

yeah, we'll consider you *something* but role model ain't it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much maca do you use daily? I put it in my smoothies sometimes, but I think I remember reading that you have to eat a whole lot of it to get any major benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
So does that mean that any woman who is prescribed T can't race? That sucks.

Basically the same situation for men. It's effectively impossible to get a TUE for Testosterone as a man unless you are missing both your testicles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's only cheating if you get caught... or something like that.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Low testosterone [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize it was that hard to get the TUE for a man. I understand why it shouldn't be easy, but I don't believe it should be almost impossible either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were doing OK until you threw in the role model, condescending bullshit.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail a wimmins thread, but the "right" thing to do as a male prescribed T for a diagnosis of hypogonadism is to apply for a TUE through USADA. The paperwork you and your doc (mostly your doc) have to provide is pretty extensive, but it is doable.
I'm in the process right now, and just have one more bit of info to get to USADA before they can render a decision.
If the application for a TUE is denied, then using T and racing be the wrong thing to do...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DawnT wrote:
How much maca do you use daily? I put it in my smoothies sometimes, but I think I remember reading that you have to eat a whole lot of it to get any major benefit.

Again, check the thread. :)

I started at 1/4 tsp (eyeballed) and then measured, then heaping 1/4 eyeballed, then 1/2 eyeballed, then measured and now am at heaping 1/2 eyeballed. I think I started in April beginning? I take it every day now (at one point on 1/4 tsp was doing BID) once a day. It takes a while for the effects to hit (a month? again, read the thread. :))

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what thread you're talking about, but thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply

Prev Next