Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Distance Tri Top
Quote | Reply
I've been searching for the perfect tri top for a while now and I'm not having much luck. I would like one that covers my back (not a racer back) so that I don't have to worry so much about sunburn. I would also like one that has at least one deep pocket. Those two requirements seem to be in conflict, for some reason all the tops I've come across with a good pocket are racer back. Oh and I prefer that it not be all black, for thermoregulation reasons. Any suggestions?
I guess my other option is to just wear a sports bra under my wetsuit, then put on a bike jersey in T1 and change to a running shirt in T2. I would prefer not to have to deal with all that though. Curious how common it is to completely change in T1 and T2 for an iron distance race? IMC this year will be my first.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desoto makes a Forza tri jersey with full back coverage. I have always found their products really comfortable for racing. I'm not sure if it has pockets, but you can always get shorts with pockets, or stuff a gel or two in the bra. Zoot also makes a tri tank that has full back coverage, and I believe it does have pockets. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the Desoto tri top. It has really good length as well, so it doesn't ride up. In actually get changed in T1 and T2. I am never going to be near the front of the pack, so an extra 5 minutes means nothing to my time but ensures I am comfortable (and sometimes warm enough) all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desoto is my favorite. check out the different styles! i usually race in a sugoi top as that's my team uniform top, but it is a racer back. i frequently put a lightweight bike jersey over is for the im bike and then just take it off for the run and have the volunteers slather my shoulders with sunscreen in t2. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another fan of the Desoto Forza tri top. I bought up as many of the old model (without built in shelf bra) as I could get my hands on. Covers shoulder, good length and good pockets.

The better sport fabrics now have "cold black" properties, so that black is as cool as other colors--and not see thru!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also a big fan on De Soto, although I would prefer not to have the built in bra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed a complete change (swimsuit to bib shorts+jersey to running shorts+run top) in my IM and even changed socks from bike to run (which was laughable as it ended up raining) if you're able to do that (don't know if you're chasing time/podium/whatever). That said, I have to agree with the DeSoto top but I think Louis Garneau also makes one. Have you checked Team Estrogen for more ideas?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I burn like crazy. My 1st IM was IMWA (I live in Vancouver) so it was going to be hot and sun-burnie to the extreme. I went with a longsleeved rashguard top from girls4sport - they sewed a huge pocket on the back for me - it was awesome. I kept it wet and it kept me cool and no burnie! yay! My 2nd IM was IMC and I wore my team deSoto tri top with coolwings. Same thing - no burnie, keep them wet they keep you cool. My 3rd IM was IMNZ and it POURED RAIN all day hahahahaha! So nothing I did mattered :-)

I changed shorts in T2 at IMWA which was a good decision. I *didn't* change shorts in T2 at IMC which was a BAD decision. I did change shorts in T2 at IMNZ and that was a good decision. I am one of those people who dumps a lot of water on themselves as I do not do well in heat. When my tri shorts are wet, no matter how much lube/bodyglide etc I have on down there, anything longer than a 1/2 means massive chafing. All three I kept my top on the whole race (OK IMNZ I had a full sleeved cycling jacket overtop but I had to or I would have really suffered).

Don't put on clothes when you are wet i.e.: in T1. Wear whatever it is under your wetsuit, otherwise you will be struggling to get it on for minutes.

Good luck! IMC is a fantastic course.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louis Garneau makes a sleeveless jersey with a single pocket in the back. I've worn it for all three IMs I've done. Tried to find it on their website but they only have one with two side pockets. I'd suggest a search of Amazon or All3sports.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone! I tried on the De Soto a few weeks ago and it seemed like the placement of the zipper on the front would end up chaffing on the run. But given how popular it is with you all I will definitely give it another look!
Hmm, I hadn't really given much thought to my shorts and chaffing. I also end up dumping a lot of water on myself to deal with the heat. I haven't had any problems with the tri shorts at the HIM distance. I don't usually train in my tri shorts, but maybe I should go for a long run with them to make sure I don't have that problem.
Thanks again for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am OK with tri shorts at 1/2 distance too - but definitely not at full. But that's me. The deSoto zipper can chafe, I put body glide there which helps. Definitely try a long run.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't recommend a tri-top because I haven't owned one in a couple years but I can comment about changing in T1-T2.

Ironman #1 - wore the same thing the entire race except I added a wrap skirt for the run. I better look good because I'm not good. I ended up with horrible chafing that traced the edge of the chamois around my ass. Funny/not-so-funny.
Ironman #2 - Same strategy but much better tri shorts so little chafing. I don't think it's possible to get none but there wasn't anything traumatic.They were Shebeest but this was 2006.
Ironman #3 - Same top all day but changed from tri shorts to running shorts. Very glad I did. I was so much more comfortable. I don't know why I waited until I did my last one to finally do this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar position to you. I've got an Oomph! brand that I love which has an awesome good sized pocket with a zipper. It also has a racer/keyhole back that has given me some really nice semi-permanent ridiculous tanlines. It's a few years old, so I'm starting to look for a replacement. I was just looking at a couple of Zoot's new line that had good pockets (not zipped) and one of them was racer back, the other one wasn't. I can't remember what the brand name was, but they were black with blue trim. I've tried DeSoto's tops, but I just didn't like them as much as the Oomph! one.

I volunteered in the change tent the year before I did IMC, so I can say it's more common for the faster part of the field to not change and the back end to fully change in T1/T2. (But there are, of course, exceptions.) I would recommend finding a pair of tri shorts that you like, as changing into bike shorts while wet is a PITA. I personally love, love, LOVE DeSoto's 400 mile shorts. I wore them at IMC with no chafing issues at all. (I did change into running shorts at T2, so I can't comment on how they'd do for the whole event.) I have worn them in numerous HIM's with no problems though.

I did the sports bra/bike jersey thing at IMC and was totally fine, so if you're concerned about it, I'd recommend just going this route. I liked having full sun protection for my shoulders since I'd done most of my long bike training in a jersey, I was very comfortable in it. I think it really boils down to whatever makes you most comfortable. It's a long day, so being in gear that you like will make a big difference.

Good luck! IMC was my first (and so far only) Ironman and it was an amazing experience. Beautiful course and incredible support.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to the post above me, I wore DeSoto's 400-mile shorts for the swim and the bike. Swim: I just wore the shorts and a bra-style swim or tri top that doubled as my sports bra. In T1 I kept what I was wearing and slipped on a cap-sleeved bike jersey for sun protection and pockets. In T2 completely changed into run shorts and run top.

If you don't mind changing tops, this seems to be the best of all worlds.
Last edited by: lisac957: Jul 25, 12 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone! This information is all really helpful. But also making it hard for me to decide what to do! It seems most of you agree that comfort is the priority, and it will be a long day so that certainly makes sense. I guess I just have in my head that wearing the same outfit for the whole race is just part of the whole thing and just what you do, painful as it may end up being! I suppose I need to get that thought out of my head. I think swimming in a sports bra and tri shorts (will def check out the de soto 400 mile shorts), putting on a bike jersey in T1, and changing into running shorts and top in T2 would probably be the best thing to do. I'm a pretty quick change and the way the transition bags and changing tents seem to be set up I don't think it will add more than a couple of min total. haha, but I have to admit, I'm still struggling with the decision!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you who did change tops and shorts in T2, what were your transition times? How much time do you think you added by changing? I understand that the change was worth it, given the length of the day total and the comfort provided, just trying to get a ball park idea of how long changing takes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short change added maybe 20 seconds.

If someone is going to put a bike jersey on I would suggest getting a full zip one. I can't imagine trying to struggle into one over my head when I'm wet from the swim.

Like this: http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodEI_CJ125.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of thoughts here - surprisingly many are similar! Here's my $0.02:

• First IM - T1 changed from swim suit to bike shorts/tri top; T2 changed from bike shorts to tri shorts (I prefer to run in tri-shorts rather than true running shorts) - transitions were around 10-11 minutes
  • Second - same as first - transition times were the same too
  • Third - Swam in bra top and bikini bottoms. T1 put on bike shorts and tri-top with pockets for bike - this was a BAD idea as it was a fitted top and I was putting it on while I was wet - bike shorts weren't horrible to put on wet, but I wish I had just worn tri-shorts all day. I should have known better. T2 Changed top to Zensah racerback and into tri-shorts for the run. This was great and I was comfy. - transitions around 9-10 minutes
  • Fourth - FINALLY just went with tri-shorts for the whole day. swam in sports bra, put on full zip, sleeveless (but full back coverage) bike jersey for the bike and changed in to favorite lululemon racerback top for the run. I think I finally have it right (for me) - putting on a full zip bike jersey when wet wasn't bad and having my favorite run top was great. I personally couldn't stand the thought of running in a bike jersey, but I was glad I had it on the bike. Transition times for this one were in the 8 minute range
As far as brand, I agree with others - I have the DeSoto Forza, and while I love the coverage, I don't race long races in it b/c of exactly what you said - the zipper chafes. For me, I'm going to stick with a zippered jersey on the bike (brand doesn't really matter to me - more the fit) and then change to a comfy tank for the run while keeping tri-shorts on all day. Good luck at IMC! I hear its a beautiful course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First IM -- swam in sport bra & 400-mi shorts; added zip top in T1, full change in T2 to compression-style run shorts and pullover top with built-in bra.

Second IM -- no change; stayed in tri clothes all day (fleece chamois, full-zip sleeveless top). Time savings in T2 about 3-4 minutes, but I am so fast at changing that the helpers in T2 applauded. I am pretty tiny with hips narrower than shoulders, so I pull the tank-style tops down over my hips instead of over my head, and I can also step into them. If you change, practice in advance!

Worked in change tent IMC last year -- MOST people who changed clothes spent 5 or more minutes in the tent. If you are not a supersuperfast swimmer, it will be crowded, and there's a good chance if you drop your wet clothes in a pile and run off, they may end up in someone else's bag by mistake. It was especially hard for the girls to pull down a top with a build-in bra, especially over their bellies. If you are planning to wear a pull-over top, put your arms in the air and just rely on the volunteers to help you.

This year will be with you in Canada and do not plan to change unless it's pouring or miserably cold. I will look for you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My IM Transition times (note IMNZ has a 700m run from end of swim into T1 and I had to put on a LOT of clothes for the bike in the pouring rain):

IMNZ: 8:53/ 7:24
IMC: 3:40/4:16
IMWA: no splits :-( (timing co rolled them into bike & run times)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
desoto is my favorite. check out the different styles! i usually race in a sugoi top as that's my team uniform top, but it is a racer back. i frequently put a lightweight bike jersey over is for the im bike and then just take it off for the run and have the volunteers slather my shoulders with sunscreen in t2. good luck!

How hot is the combination of bike jersey and tri top on the bike? I was planning on wearing a bike jersey for the bike and changing to tri top to the run, but your combo may be something to consider...
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Distance Tri Top [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the bike jersey i wear is an extremely light cannondale women's jersey. really more for sun protection than anything. but, if i need some warmth i add arm warmers and i'm good to go. it's so personal, but i haven't found the bike jersey to be too hot. if i know the weather is going to be super-hot, i wear just the tri top and slather sunscreen. good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sammie wrote:
For those of you who did change tops and shorts in T2, what were your transition times? How much time do you think you added by changing? I understand that the change was worth it, given the length of the day total and the comfort provided, just trying to get a ball park idea of how long changing takes.

I wore a bra and swimsuit for the swim and showered coming to T1 and changed into bibs and a jersey for the bike (15 min maybe? but there was a long run additionally from swim exit to the tent and then to the bike and then out.). T2 I changed from bibs to running shorts, new socks, new dry running top and peed and messed around with nutrition. I think T2 was 7 minutes.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a new tri top too. The ones I have seem to be short. Does anyone know of a brand that runs a little longer than others? I am 5'9. I am not interested in a 1 piece. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply