Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I just sold my bike...
Quote | Reply
..and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

My tri bike was my first "real" bike. I got it before I even thought I would do tris. It was a 2002 Trek Hilo. I loved that bike. 650 wheels, all aluminum (except the fork), stiff ride. And such a pretty blue color. Bought it new, and borrowed money to get it.

Other bikes have come on the scene: I have a MTB, and a road bike, and a track bike... but the Hilo has always been my favorite.

But I'd recently been given a pile of mature savings bonds, and that, coupled with the proceeds from selling this bike and my ZIPPS (can't find 650 bikes for tall folks anymore), meant I had a bunch of money (well, not as much as some of the guys on the main forum would like for bike buying...heck, they probably poop more money than this) that I wouldn't miss (since I never had it to begin with)--which meant I could afford to upgrade.

And so, a very nice, handsome young fellow came to my house and bought my bike as a present for his GF for Xmas. And he handed me a check, and then loaded my bike onto his trunk rack, and he put my Zipps on the seat next to him...and he drove away.

And I *KNOW* it's just a bike, and I know once I upgrade and get on some nice smooth machine, I will love it and be so happy to change...but still... Alphonse (yes, he has a name) will always hold that special place in my heart. :-) (And now we see why I posted this here... the boys would laugh at me. :p)

Here he is (at the only race I did this year before I broke my foot):

And here's his Criagslist photo:

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: I just sold my bike... [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah... you'll never forget your first love....

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know exactly how you feel. I sold my beloved Orange Crush (Cannondale multisport 2000, also with 650c wheels) this summer. It went to a nice man in Idaho. Actually he bought it for his daughter's 14th birthday. She loves it and I'm sure rides ot faster than I. I still exchange emails with OC's adopted family.

Later, I had to sell my mountain bike (the Black Widow) because of the infamous broken cat jaw. I'm down to my cross bike, which thanks to the generousity of ST-ers and my super awesome man, I was able to hold onto. Working on replacing the mountain bike next.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally understand where you're coming from.

I have a friend who has her first road bike and she refuses to sell it. She keeps saying it's worth more to her than what she could get from it. I never really got that until I got my new Kuota roadbike last spring and had full intentions of selling my old aluminum Specialized. I haven't sold it yet and now I don't plan too. I even put all new components on it and still ride it (raced it last year in bike race) around town. When I get a new tri bike I won't have any problem selling the Orbea, but for some reason I just can't get rid of the first bike (and I don't even realy like to bike).
Quote Reply
Re: I just sold my bike... [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a lot of peeps (cough cough main forum cough cough) who are all like "I've never sold a bike yet! keep it!" which is all well and good, if you can afford it. Sure, I would love to have kept it AND been able to afford another bike... but I'm just squeaking in with enough to be able to afford a midlevel upgrade :p

He was my baby...but now he's going to make someone else happy, and I can live with that.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think it's definately a luxury that i get to keep it. Though my cousin just emailed me and was asking for advice on buying a bike to start doing triathlons next year and she wanted to know if she could get a decent bike for $500 (probably the most I could get from mine), I'm considering giving her my old bike since I know she would use it and enjoy it and I could still visit it from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first real bike, and bike two, were split and bits retained for the subsequent bikes. The frames and wheels went.

The saddle from bike one lives on on my current TT bike, and the original bars and STI shifters are on the training bike.
The frame and wheels went to a club mate, who goes faster on it than I ever did.

The bars and shifters from bike two are on the spare bike, along with the the cranks from the current road bike's previous build.

"Here's how you run a marathon. Step 1: You start running. Step 2: There is no step 2." - Barney (How I Met Your Mother)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just put mine up on craigslist, and feel a little bit sad. Its looking like its going to go to a lady up in new york, who just completed her first season of triathlon on a mountain bike and is looking at staying with the sport for a bit. It's going to be sad to dismantle my bike and pack it up :( But, I just bought a new bike and would rather have the extra cash from the old bike so I dont see as much of a dent in my savings.
Quote Reply
Re: I just sold my bike... [swimlinz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me two years of not racing to finally unload my Dual, went to a nice guy for a Xmas present for the GF too, I still miss it and feel bad about it, but I wasn't racing and it was just sitting there, used the money to get a new touring bike to replace the 20 year old Fuji I was using for that.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: I just sold my bike... [PirateGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been a while since you offered it.. but if you don't mind loaning that old alum specialized, I know a girl looking for a roadie :)
Quote Reply
Re: I just sold my bike... [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck yeah you can borrow it. I'm dropping it off tomorrow for a new headset and tune up then you can use it all you want. I'm guessing it should fit you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate. My first nice bike was a Trek 1000 road bike. I used it for commuting as well as races (it was my only bike). I rode it through the rain, sleet and snow of Chicago. Folks at my group rides would tease me when they had their carbon super bikes and I would show up with "The Iron Beast" (a nickname given to the bike by group). However, the teasing would stop when I dropped them on the hills. I've many other bikes come and go in my life, but I always held on to the 1000.

I recently bought a very nice road bike and decided that the Trek could no longer stick around since I was moving. Like you, I knew that it was just a bike but I got a little emotional when the final Ebay bid came in and I started packing it up to ship. I secretly hope that the winning bidder finds something wrong with it and sends it back! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sold my first tri bike last month too. It was a 2005 Specialized Transition Elite. It was my first TT bike, and I loved it! It was time for an upgrade, and I have an Orbea Ordu now. But I'll admit, I do still miss my little blue bike from time to time, nothing like your first true love :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know how you feel about your bike. But just think how excited that guy's girlfriend is going to be on Xmas day. You are a part of her happiness. My first tri bike had a hole in the top tube from an accident. And I finally had to stop riding it. My husband and I were going to throw it in the dumpsters and I started crying so much, we brought the bike back to the house. It now hangs in our storage room. Lots of guys laugh at me about the broke art piece in the storage room. fuck them. Just remember, that guys girlfriend is going to be so happy xmas day. Alphonse is a beautiful boy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand how you feel. I felt that way when I felt my first bike (a road bike) and my first tri bike. But when the new owners emailed me to tell me how much they loved their new bikes I didn't feel so bad anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain! No, it's not "just a bike"--it's your first velo-love.
I gave my Trek Antelope circa 1991--first mountain bike--to my friend so her teenage kids would have something to ride. 2 years later I asked for it back (Indian giver) because I missed it so much.
Take comfort in knowing that someone is still taking Alphonse out and riding/racing him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you are feeling:) I had a hard time parting with my first tri bike- it was purple and faded into silver. Gorgeous bike. It had a lot of good races, but we didn't have the room to keep it. I gave it to my sister who needed a bike when I got my next tri bike. The sad thing is I see it every time I go visit her and every time I ask her if she is still using it and if she ever wants to get rid of it to let me know because I'll take it back. At least I know it has a good home, but I still want it back.
Quote Reply