Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I have this weakness..
Quote | Reply
So it goes something like this..

I was telling myself that after Buffalo Stampede in April I was going to officially move to 'off season', take a couple of weeks off, think about my winter program, take it easy, get the rollerskis out, blah blah... Then a friend observed that while I had the km in my legs & I was enjoying trails so much I should do an ultra.

Fuck. Why did she have to ask that? Can't help myself...

So of course, there I was last Sunday, on the top of a cold foggy mountain, lined up for my first ultra. This was NEVER on my dance card - damn trail running, worse than crack.

It was hard, it was awesome, it was another world. Foggy dripping mountain trails lined with a lush carpet of wet decomposing leaves, endless rollercoaster fire trails, gnarly single tracks winding through the trees, a great bunch of friendly fellow runners and an impressive bunch of vollies smiling through the rain and fog. Did I mention there were tunnels?

The conditions made it far more technical than I had anticipated and sticky slippery mud with rocks was the order of the day. To make it even more challenging I took a wrong turn and inadvertently added about 3km to my day at about the 35km mark. I took a deep breath, reminded myself that I was out there to do an ultra, so a few extra km was just part of it and ploughed back through the fog, drizzle and black slushy mud.

It was cold, tough and in the second half I was mentally and physically tired and totally by myself in a challenging environment but it was also beautiful. I saw trails and bits of bush I would never have found by myself and found my pace and peace.

8:04 hours, about 54km, roughly 2500m of elevation gain later after the last brutal 2.5km climb in the rain up something like a muddy creek, I became an ultra runner. Bless my date who was on the finish line with a box of custard donuts.

Quote Reply
Re: I have this weakness.. [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great RR and picks. Congrats, you ultra-nut!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad to know that you survived and even thrived!

On August 22, I will hopefully complete my first ultra-marathon at Leadville, CO 100.

I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into, but at least it scares me enough to make me train...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I have this weakness.. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at least it scares me enough to make me train...

When I hear someone say that I know they will do ok in their race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I love those kinds of races and have been kinda itching to get back into it after my ~2yr hiatus... but it doesn't help my speed skating in the slightest :-)

Great pics, glad you had an enjoyable time.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! TUNNELS!
Congrats :-) how are you feeling post-race?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I have this weakness.. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks womens!!

I always enjoy reading everyone else's RR & I know that you lot get it - the words 'ultra', 'trails' & 'marathon' in the same sentence put to the general population just get that face of confusion..

Tigerchik, I'm feeling OK - took the week off, got to the Osteo to sort a few niggles & you'll be happy to hear I'll be hitting the pool with a purpose over the next few months. So long as I can keep the trail addiction under control! And yes, the tunnels were cool!! Not long but a very welcome variation from that muddy technical shit!

Sally, best of luck with the 100 - that kind of distance still scares me a little but I suspect a large part of it comes down to nutrition & pig headedness :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I have this weakness.. [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'd definitely come and pace if I was on the same side of the world..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supercool. Looks like it was a beautiful run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply! I too, am enjoying swimming with a fresh appreciation. Exercise that doesn't involve legs pounding is a welcome, cool relief.

I look forward to returning to bike training for Silverman in October after this is over. But for now, about 30 miles of trails awaits me this weekend!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I have done a few shorter trail races, but I haven't worked up to an ultra yet. I am trying to work up the courage to do a 50k next year.
Quote Reply