Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IVF Cycle
Quote | Reply
Curious if anyone here has “trained” through a cycle of IVF? I know not to do much other than walk during the stim phase for fear of ovarian torsion but what about after retrieval? And when I say “train”, I don’t mean train for an IM or train to be fast. I mean short runs and easy rides just to stay sane. I exercised through my entire pregnancy with my son but I didn’t know I was pregnant for a few weeks and wasn’t as emotionally and physically wrecked as the infertility treatments are making me. I don’t trust my body now like I did then.
Quote Reply
Re: IVF Cycle [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "trained" in the manner you suggest through the stim, retrieval, and transfer. Sort of like during pregnancy, during the stim, I gave up running first (I felt all jiggily) and then the biking (feeling really yucky by then) but kept swimming the whole time. I just took it easy and listened to my body. If I felt I needed more sleep (those drugs can do a doozy on you!), I slept in and didn't worry about missing a "workout".
Good luck!! And remember to take good care of yourself!
Quote Reply
Re: IVF Cycle [Obernon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does that really say snotrocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine if you exercise as you described. I would say be very cautious if you start showing symptoms of OHSS which can result in ovarian death among other things. You can tell if you're at risk by the way you are responding to the meds, but you have to look out for yourself. In my case, the docs didn't think I had it (I was slightly underweight at the start of the cycle) because they didn't "see" the huge belly I developed right after embryo transfer. I insisted on an ultrasound and refused to leave until they saw me that day. Let's say they were shocked when they saw my ovaries were the size of coconuts rather than the walnut-size they are supposed to be. They ended up draining half the excess fluid (one liter)-- not fun. I was completely exercise restricted for the first three months until my ovaries returned to normal. The upside is I now have a 7 week old baby boy. Up until retrieval I was training like crazy. Best wishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the advice of my doctor, I stopped working out. Completely. The way he put it to me is, it might not be harmful and might not cause any problem, but why take the risk? All you're going through to become pregnant, you shouldn't jeopardize it.

It seemed like a common-sense approach to me. Happily, I'm the mom of 2 year old twins, and am back to working out as much as possible given my limited time, which has nevertheless seen me through my first 50 miler last year and, hopefully, my 2nd 50 miler this May. GIven my limited time, I'm concentrating on running right now since I feel I get more fitness bang for my buck. It seemed like a hardship at the time to stop working out, but after the pregnancy was over I got back to it pretty quickly.
Quote Reply